Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Missed Opportunity

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jane Doe, 4 Apr 2015.

1. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

It is nice to know the Giraffes are back but there was a missed opportunity for publicity.

Ms Redrobe missed a very big opportunity for publicity when the Giraffes can back to Twycross Zoo, she likes too tell everyone how much all the changes are costing but missed out on the best publicity that would cost her nothing, back in Miss Badhams days (I am waiting for you to say I am looking through rose tinted glass) the press, TV and the papers every one would have been given a press release and would have been given the opportunity to come and see it all the way through right up to the Giraffes arriving. Miss Badham would have been all over it, nothing was to much trouble for her beloved zoo(family).

Miss Badham loved being on telly and the TV loved her, now I am waiting for the other things you are going to say. I can not remember her going to the press and say this is going to cost so many millions it was all about the zoo NOT money as it is with the new CEO.

Why O why did she not take this opportunity to put the zoo back on the map as said by Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman to the shop lady that wouldn't serve her "Do you work on commission" holding all her shopping shop girl "yes" Julia Roberts "BIG MISTAKE" and that was what has happened here.

2. wesley

wesley Member

broken record anyone?

3. Jane Doe

Sorry are people not allowed to voice an opinion especially when it is true would you like me to just leave the site because I put things about the past I am very sorry I will just shut up and not put anything if that suits

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I know one giraffe has arrived but is it even on show yet? As far as I am aware the exhibit isn't properly open yet.

Also, even if the zoo contacted every possible news outlet they can't force them to run the story.

5. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

I think the reason there hasn't been any big news stories about it is because they're still settling in. If one morning the giraffes decide they aren't getting along the zoo can take them off display with minimum annoyance to the visitors. If there was a big publicity push saying the giraffes are back and some visitors were to arrive expecting to see the off-display giraffes, they could leave severely disappointed.

6. Jane Doe

There are 2, 3rd is coming next week according to what I have heard, you are right they can not be forced to run the story but Central TV is our area they put a clip on about a new sea lion arriving at Dudley Zoo, I used to work there so trust me if they had been told that the Giraffes were coming back I am pretty sure they would have been there.

They filmed when Colin the tapir arrived.

7. Jane Doe

I think it would be better if I have my posts removed because I never seam to put the right thing I am not a thick person I may not have been zoo keeper but I have and still have animals so I know how thing work with animals. If you advertise things as much as they did going to the Bull Ring in Birmingham then you are telling everyone the animals are going to be there so what is the difference you are hyping it up so people are going to be there come what may.

So what is the difference about going on the telly or getting a group of about 6 people dressed in giraffe costumes with what is supposed to be a ranger climbing all over the bull in the Bull Ring with signs saying come and see us a Twycross Zoo or going on the Central news for free.

8. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

I think I would have preferred a sensible television interview including footage of the giraffes settling in their new house rather than seeing people acting as though they are on the Muppet Show, that's my opinion anyway , if it counts for anything.

9. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I think they are clearly a just waiting until all the giraffes have arrived and are all calm and settled before releasing the crowds of people near them. Most collections will let animals settle before the grand opening.

10. Maguari

Well then maybe, as noted above, the zoo are simply waiting for the giraffes to settle before publicising them too much? There are any number of explanations.

And, speaking as someone who has featured in a local news item of the kind that would in a similar slot to the 'cute animal' one (a 'local kids charity work' one), I know that even once filmed it will sit waiting for a gap in the programme for a week or two, so even if it's in the can it may be a while before it airs. They're used as filler or when they need a cheery story to round off with.

As regards having your posts removed, I don't think that's necessary, but I think the length and strength of opinion of your original post here is perhaps a little extreme for the point being raised - as I say, for all any of us know they may have already planned or even taken part in publicity we are just yet to see. I can see why people would feel you are grasping to find negatives in Ms. Redrobe, when the same point could have been made by posting in the other thread and just saying "Has anyone seen any publicity for the giraffes anywhere? I would have expected to see some by now.".

11. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I've heard that they are getting a total of 4 giraffes, so :) maybe they are waiting for the whole herd first. They had just 2 yesterday and the one at the back had arrived in the early hours of the morning. I think everyone was surprised at how calm the boys were. The outside doesn't really look totally ready yet, so maybe they are waiting till they can have the full tower outside.

They aren't even massively sign posted in the zoo yet, though the gift shop is rammed with giraffe stuff.

13. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think it's a missed opportunity just yet - still early days and there's been quite a bit of advertising through their social media channels and they've had some folks dressed up as Giraffe out and about generating significant interest. I think the 'We're Back!' post on Facebook is the Zoo's most commented, shared and like update to date.

Whilst the Giraffe returning is great news for visitors, the bigger news for the local economy is the £55m investment plan which will boost employment and visitor spend. That's 'bigger' news in todays climate - and with both breaking at the same time, local regional news channels focused on that - with some references through national news as well.

14. Maguari

So, I don't think they needed any extra publicity after all! The following was just posted:

https://twitter.com/TwycrossZoo/status/585033681846280192

15. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

More from Twitter:-

Twycross Zoo @TwycrossZoo
    · 1 hour ago

We have no more car park spaces left. If you can park safely elsewhere we will welcome you. Cyclists and walkers are still welcome. Thank you for turning out in droves today--we are open until 6pm and every day apart from Christmas day.

Twycross Zoo @TwycrossZoo
    · 14mins ago

We are staying open until 7pm today. Cars are still queuing- we are letting some in as some leave. We are a charity so thank you for your support. We need bigger and better car parks (any sponsors out there?!)