Join our zoo community

Mississippi Aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by jayjds2, 27 Mar 2016.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

David Kimmel, formerly President and COO of the Georgia Aquarium, has been approved as aquarium consultant, "providing development and project management services, along with operational planning through the pre-opening phase of the project."

Read more here: Gulfport chooses consultant to lead aquarium development

3. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its been years since this thread was updated but this aquarium is currently under construction with an estimated opening date of early 2020.

Mississippi Aquarium in Gulfport showing great signs of progress

So I saw another article about the construction of this aquarium and it mentioned dolphins. In a time where so aquariums are phasing them out, its interesting to see an aquarium aiming to create a new exhibit for them. The exhibit according to the plans below is extremely small (plans below line up with google earth). I am honestly surprised their has been no backlash to this so far.
    [​IMG]

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

5. nczoofan

6. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Well, they must have done their homework, seeing how Georgia Aquarium got past the protests, brought in the dolphins, and had a huge success. The dolphin debate aside, I find it warming that nice family entertainment that teaches conservation has managed to come out of the terrible destruction of hurricanes going back two decades. It's like a phoenix coming out of the ashes. It's nice to see the rebuilding and expansion of similar Florida ventures, like Florida's former Marineland sister to GA. I'm thankful for any institution that brings conservation of animals front and
    center to visitors who otherwise might have gotten a new amusement park, skateboard park, water park, or video arcades. Dolphin shows need not involve riding the dolphins. They can introduce husbandry behaviors and even a lesson on marine animals dying from garbage we throw in the water or the effects of single-use water bottles. Any exposure and education is wonderful compared to all those commercial options that could have been chose to build.

7. nczoofan

https://www.sunherald.com/news/local/counties/harrison-county/article242687451.html

The new aquarium is almost done, although the opening is likely delayed until September due to COVID-19. The video makes the aquarium look really high quality, with one notable exception. The dolphin tank looks fairly small and basic. I wish they had instead just focused on another species like manatee or sea lion instead.

Edit: I quickly measured out the dolphin tank on google earth, and its only 4,000 sq ft.

Last edited: 18 May 2020
    jayjds2 and amur leopard like this.