Join our zoo community

Mixed Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Macaw16, 16 Mar 2015.

1. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One zoo in Germany mix tufted deers with waterfowl.

2. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How about a large wooded paddock/ island for these species, would it work if I removed a certain species?

Sumatran Orangutan, a species of gibbon, Malayan Tapir, Various Hoofstock, Macaques?

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What? When did you start working at South Lakes? :p

4. Macaw16

Ha ha ha :p I actually had the idea of a large island divided into two enclosures, this mix and Sumatran Tigers. Try and work out the connection :rolleyes:

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some Orangs will subject other animals to unwanted sexual attentions, not necessarily safe even with gibbons.
    I wouldn't mix macaques with anything more vulnerable than elephant or rhino.
    Yes, it does sound a bit South Lakesish -- maybe mix the tigers in as well.....

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't like mixing orangutans and gibbons but many zoos do it. However I really wouldn't mix tapirs with orangutans, you may well end up with severely injured apes.

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Orangs and tapirs (and possibly gibbons!) are mixed somewhere in Europe but I can't recall exactly where though? 90% certain it was on one of Maguari's photo's though!

I admit to not feeling comfortable about this mix though, orangs and tapirs can both be dangerous in certain situations and it could result in serious injury for any of the species. Likewise I'm not to keen on otter and primate mixes for the same reason. See The Bronx Zoo otter attack for serious inter-species aggressioon! :eek: ;)

8. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dortmund Zoo, Germany. Sumatran orang-utans and Malayan tapirs have been kept together there since 2005; so far, no serious interspecific aggression has occured.

9. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

The Zoo you talk about is Dortmund. They keep Orang together with Malayan tapirs since 10 Years without any complications-thyy made very positive , and no negative experinces in this time, but, of course, they seperate the tapir female from the apes, when she got a calf.

Both species interact, and never the tapirs tried to bite the apes-especially the young orangs are interested in the tapirs.

So the mix between wolfs and bears is more dangerous to both of them, or even so many antelope species killed each other in mixed exhbits,especially zebras are well known as antelope killers.

But EVERY combination has a rest risk, but in the case of the orang/tapir combo, both species have won-if I remember the tapirs at Jungle World at Bonx-Zoo-they bore themselfs to death in that"Sandpit", but the tapirs at Dortmund are doing so much better together with the orangs-happy tapirs, happy orangs.If this combo wouldn't work,I'm sure, the zoo had stopped it.

10. Macaw16

So would it work if I removed the Orangutans?

11. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

A similar question- would Kloss's gibbons and various species of birds from the Mentawai islands work in a large, netted exhibit? Thank you.

~ Thaumatibis

12. Batto

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to offer a rare species of gibbon a nice variety of various rare avian prey species for nutrition and entertainment while the visitors can observe the gibbons harrass, chase and kill birds, then yes, the combination will work *irony off*;). If that is not your ideal goal, then confining gibbons and most birds together can't be recommended.

13. Thaumatibis

Really? I didn't think gibbons would do that. Just goes to show, I suppose. :p

~ Thaumatibis

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

gibbons will kill and eat birds at least as large as peafowl.

15. Thaumatibis

Actually, I heard on some thread of siAmangs eating seagulls. That was the reason why I asked, in fact.

~ Thaumatibis

16. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Have anyone heard about a mixed exhibith with meerkats & ostriches or meerkats & hoofstock?

17. Macaw16

I think some zoos have mixed small antelopes and meerkats.

18. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Newquay (UK) previously kept meerkat with a couple of red lechwe and plains zebra. Wasn't a huge enclosure but small number of hoofstock. Never heard of any problems, but I would be a little concerned about potential of hoofstock breaking a leg due to extensive burrows.

19. Macaw16

How about Bottlenose Dolphins with Harbour Porpoise?

20. Batto