Join our zoo community

Mixed Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Macaw16, 16 Mar 2015.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are the any South American Parrots which can't be housed with butterflies?

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most, in particular your namesakes. Butterflies love ample foliage and flowers in particular. South American parrots love to chew and destroy such foliage and plants (and the occasional butterfly). So unless you have a very large rainforest exhibit, I wouldn't recommend keeping South American parrots (especially larger ones) together with butterflies without providing safe retreats for the latter.

3. temp

temp Well-Known Member

While it is true that parrots in general are destroyers of plants, there are quite a lot of places that have kept parrots in rainforest halls where plenty of plants have remained; enough to continue calling them rainforest halls. In some cases mixed with butterflies too. So it depends on what is ment by "very large". For example in Denmark alone, there are two places that have that have had parrots+butterflies: conures (sun & golden)+butterflies in c. 700 m2 at National Aquarium, and macaws (blue-and-yellow, scarlet & green-winged)+butterflies in c. 2000 m2 at Randers Rainforest. The Randers butterflies are now kept separately but that's mainly because of the marmosets. I can think of half a dozen other places in Europe that have mixed parrots and butterflies in the last decade (and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting/don't know about), though in many cases only the tiny Asian hanging parrots that are largely harmless to plants. Anyhow, with sufficient space parrots (even macaws) can be kept in rainforest halls without having a major impact on the overall foliage.

4. monkeybusiness

monkeybusiness New Member

Hello

I am looking for existing mixed exhibitry with Rhesus Macaques.
    Does anyone know zoos where they have or had got rhesus macaques mixed with other species? (I already know rhesus + sloth bear in Zoo Leipzich and rhesus + takin in Rotterdam Zoo)

Or does anyone know a possible species to mix with rhesus macaques and why?

Thanks so much in advance

5. Batto

Anything larger than the general small enclosures/cages macaws and other parrots are kept in many zoos and privat households worldwide, including Denmark.

It all depends on the ratio of individual specimens kept / provided space and structural elements-and on the individuality of the animals and keepers. I've yet to see a sufficent example of a larger parrot species & butterfly mix that worked well for both. Maybe you can provide me with the other four examples which work/have worked in your opinion?

6. Macaw16

Rhesus Macaques are also kept with Sloth Bears at Bekse Bergen, see here: ZOOmoments - Mixed-species Exhibits with Ursids

Rhesus Macaques and Sichuan Takin at Rotterdam Zoo, see here: http://zooinstitutes.com/Exhibitpic.asp?name=854

Have your seen this about Leipzig? See here: ZooLex Exhibit

Longleat has Rhesus Macaques with Blackbuck, see here: Longleat Safari Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and they used to have Water Buffalo with them.

These are all that I've heard about, I hope they are of some use. Are you only interested in Rhesus Macaques, because I know of plenty of other mixed species exhibits with macaques?

P.S. Welcome to ZooChat!

7. monkeybusiness

monkeybusiness New Member

thanks! yes I am especially looking for mixed exhibitry with rhesus macaques, but I am very curious to the mixed exhibitry with other macaques, I would like to know!

8. Macaw16

Here's some of the top of my head:

Allwetterzoo Munster, Orangutans and Lion-tailed Macaques, see here: ZooLex Exhibit

A couple of zoos keep this mix, Barbary Sheep and Barbary Macaques.

Woburn Safari Park, Patas Monkeys and Barbary Macaques.

Hope this helps

9. Macaw16

Could you have Brown Bears, Grey Wolves and White-tailed Sea Eagles together or if I removed a species, would one of them work with eagles?

10. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brown bears/Gray wolves are complicated. In wild bear+wolves equal deaths most of the time. There, however, ARE examples in zoos with the living side by side but the enclosures need to be pretty big. I forgot the names of the zoos that keep them together. No idea on the eagles.

11. Batto

If it's an addition for North Haverbrook's Zoo of fighting animals, yeah, sure. Otherwise: no, it won't work. If you want to keep eagles capable of flight, you'd have to build a huge aviary to accommodate both bears, wolves and eagles. And both wolves and bears might "take care" of an eagle crashing against the net of the enclosure now and then. If you want to wingclip them, chances of animal conflicts and losses would be even higher.
    Some zoos do have the combination of wolves + brown bears, and not all of them house them in truly large exhibits (Zoo Eberswalde). Separation and retreats are a must, yet depending on individuals, chronic stress and interspecific aggression can occur.

12. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can people give examples of exhibits with bears and other animals in general?

13. Macaw16

14. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also, what do people think about mandrills with pygmy hippos?

15. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here is a video on that mix

16. Macaw16

Would Armadillos and Prairie Dogs work?

17. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can't think of anything wrong with that.

18. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Potential disease? Dietary issues? Individual compatibility? Containment? Visibility of the species?

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

would armadillos eat prairie dog kits?

20. Macaw16

Thanks for everyone's help so far, here are a couple of others:

Vasa Parrots with Lemurs (probably Ruffed)?

Tortoises with Lemurs?

Titi Monkeys with Tapir?

Peruvian Pelicans, Australian Pelicans and a Gull species?

Striped Skunk and Raccoons?

Storks, Flamingos, Small Waders, Ibis and Ducks (its the storks I'm interested in)?

Boas/ Pythons and Crocodilians?