Join our zoo community

Mixed species enclosures and other changes for Burgers Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Mr Gharial, 12 Sep 2020.

1. 1Squirrel monkey

1Squirrel monkey Well-Known Member

(I swear it is coincidental, but) I am making a masterplan for Burgers as well. I was wondering if there is any Zoo that has see otters combined with other species.

2. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

This thread has actually moved on too "Burgers zoo project" (Link is a few posts before). According to zoorope, otters have been kept with

Different species of old world monkeys, lemurs, new world monkeys, orangutans, gorillas, giant squirrels, marmots, red fox, striped skunk, northern raccoon, goats, auodads, swans, new world porcupines, beavers, seals, binturongs, Red river hogs, African buffalos, Capybaras, old world porcupines, lions, civets, bears, red pandas, tapirs, babirusa, southern cassowary, hornbills, rhinos, crocodiles and caimans

I think they can be kept with nearly anything

en/Mixed exhibit Mustelidae Mephitidae!

Please, show me your design, I'm curious!

3. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I think all of those are fresh water otters; Aisian small clawed, American otters, Giant Otter, and African Clawless otters. What he is looking for are sea otters which have a very different temperament. From my experience with sea otters (I’m assuming you mean the pacific kind because I don’t believe there are sea otters in Europe) they can be mixed with shoals of fish that are non aggressive and about their size or smaller. I don’t know what Californian or Alaskan fish species are held in Europe but species like opaleye or halfmoon wouldn’t be too hard to get.

4. Mr Gharial

In that case, Marine otters have been kept together with Harbour seal, as well as different fish species. Though I'm not sure which

Sea otter and fish:
    Polar Play Zone - Sea Otter Exhibit - Underwater Viewing - ZooChat

Sea otter and lots of fish:
    Northern Pacific Gallery - Sea Otter Exhibit - ZooChat

Sea otters, different fish and leopard sharks
    Pacific Tank at Lisbon Oceanarium, 25/05/11 - ZooChat

Last edited: 29 Apr 2021
  5. 1Squirrel monkey

Thanks a lot to both of you, I was indeed referring to the sea otter, it was a spelling mistake. The only subspecies currently in Europe is the northern sea otter. You do have to wait a while to see it unfortunately, it’s far from done.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  6. Mr Gharial

Mine was far from done for a while too, tell me some of the basic ideas

7. 1Squirrel monkey

Someone’s a bit impatient, isn’t it. I’m trying to keep the Burgers feel as much as possible, also trying to keep most exhibits intact as well. I’m replacing the ‘Burgers park’ areas, as it doesn’t fit the zoo in my opinion. I’m putting new exhibits in large empty spaces, while also keeping ‘behind the scenes’ parts in mind. I also like the current themes to not only have their dome, but also have outside enclosures, such as an addition of the sea otters to Ocean.

8. Mr Gharial

Maybe just a little bit

What two new regions will be replacing them?

Interesting. But may I remind you that Burger's zoo has more specific areas? Safari, for example, is east Africa only. And Ocean is based on the Great Barrier Reef, where sea otters don't live

9. 1Squirrel monkey

Damn I messed up, I didn’t realise, I’ll see if I can add them in another part of the zoo.

That’ll be a secret for now.

10. Mr Gharial

Well, Burgers doesn't really have an Arctic region it could go in (Unless you added one, of course)

11. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Well northern sea otters are an Alaskan species (alutian islands not Arctic circle) so you could have them with species like belugas (might bully the otters) and puffin but not polar bears. Walrus is North Alaskan not alutian island.

12. 1Squirrel monkey

I actually was thinking about putting them with puffins indeed, because of the really similar climate. However, they don’t live in the same areas (what you called alution islands).

Westcoastperson likes this.
  13. Mr Gharial

Horned puffin, Tufted puffin, Common murre and pigeon guillemot are in the same region

14. 1Squirrel monkey

I’m not very clear today, am I. I was talking about the Atlantic puffin. Thanks for your help! I don’t think I’m adding the enclosure to the idea though, it doesn’t really fit any of the regions I plan on adding.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2021
  15. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

Montserrat Oriole could be a choice.

16. Mr Gharial

Seems like you've found my old thread!

This version of the thread is actually the testing version of the Burgers zoo Project. A more official version can be found here:

Speculative Burger's zoo project

With more final versions of the regions, as well as some redesign.