Join our zoo community

Mixed species enclosures and other changes for Burgers Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Mr Gharial, 12 Sep 2020.

1. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I didn't realize they got that big so I guess you are right they could work well in the exhibit. (Dude seriously I thought they were like 12cm)
    Maybe a smaller species of elephant shrew or an African Cichlid exhibit + species of turtle to connect to the Black Rufous elephant exhibit, I couldn't find tropical tortoise species but I could find a turtle species like the West African Mud Turtle

Last edited: 20 Sep 2020
  2. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

I don't belive there is no real option here. It should be used in the same way as before. Which is why I belive to add a african tortois species together with the elephantshrew would work well, for using a bit of extra space.

3. Westcoastperson

How about a species of Hinge Tortoise (aka Kinixys)

4. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

That does bring up the problem of the tortoises that are a few meters down the path

5. GiratinaIsGod

I know what you mean. That it would be weird to have 2 diffent tortoises next to each other. But I see no problem realy personally. The tortoise is not realy the center of the enclosure, just a roommate to the main attraction

6. GiratinaIsGod

This species would fit perfectly (not to big, and evern native to the same region). Iam realy not an expert on tortoises. But from what I read online this mix would probbely work out.

7. Westcoastperson

But that makes the exhibit with only tortoises look less important compared to the neighboring shrew and tortoise

8. Mr Gharial

Perfect!

9. Mr Gharial

Maybe a small South American species to accompany them?

10. GiratinaIsGod

while I looked at your map, I had a good idea about the prairie dogs. They should be included under the Burgers Desert theme (not in the desert hall, but just thematicly). Even though they do not directly live in deserts, they live in very arid habitats, together with many species in Burger Bush themslef.

11. GiratinaIsGod

The problem with the red-footed tortoise enclosure is that is just not that big. It would probelly get realy overshadowed. It was allready overshowdowed by the caimans, and exists realy only, so that that seperted space feels more alive. It would get overlooked even more. But unlike most kind of exhibits is it not realy pssoble to change parts like that in Burgers Bush. The red-footed tortoise is again eternaly cursed to be there to fill the space in south american/tropical themed exhibits, like in so many other zoos.

12. Mr Gharial

I had the same idea at first, I don't know how much space there is over there though. I'm going there in a few weeks to make see how much space there is. If there's enough space next to the desert hall I'll place them over there.

I needed to add something to that area as it's such a long path with no animals

13. Mr Gharial

That's why I wanted to maybe add another South American animal to draw a tiny amount of extra attention

14. Westcoastperson

Maybe a Brazillian Porcupine. A paca, or agouti would work best but they were already chosen for the night house. Maybe a Coati but they are climbers and carnivores. If there is enough space a peccary could possibly be included.

German Zoo World likes this.
  15. Westcoastperson

So my local zoo also has a path that is very barren like the one at Burgers. So they are going to place a Big horn sheep exhibit on part of the cliff that is adjacent the path. For Burgers, you could add a downward facing Ibex exhibit on the left or right side of the path. I don't know if its big enough for an Ibex heard though.

16. Mr Gharial

defnitely no room for a peccary, and they only just created a new coati enclosure so moving them is off the list, maras are day active though, but I don't think there's room for them either

Now for another mixed species enclosure, would the Madagascan big-headed side-necked turtle be able to co-exist with aldabra giant tortoises? Bit off-topic, I know. But I wanted to add them and I'd have to make space if they couldn't

17. Mr Gharial

Definitely too small for that, and I'm already placing an ibex in the european section. Maybe regular children's zoo goat could work though

18. GiratinaIsGod

you realize that there is little to no space in the tortois/caiman part of the Bush. espically the tortoise enclosure is made in such a way that prettymuch every other anmial, besides tortoises would be able to escape.
    no, defentivly not enough space for an ibex herd

19. Westcoastperson

I don't think there is a reason why they couldn't mix. My only fear is that I don't know if Aldabras can swim (correct me if I am wrong) so there could be a danger in having a pond in their enclosure.

20. Westcoastperson

Then maybe a free flight aviary. although there is one very close to that area.