Join our zoo community

Mixed species enclosures and other changes for Burgers Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Mr Gharial, 12 Sep 2020.

1. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

So far I am aware they can't, they do submerge their bodies in ponds (as long as they can stand in it).

2. JurassicMax

Maybe a bit late but Java mouse-deers could also be a good fit for the aardvark enclosure. They aren't too big but still large enough to be seen.

3. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Maby a smal aborial species, like tamarins monkeys or huitas ?

4. JurassicMax

Just to make sure, we are talking about the area between the Bush and Desert where currently the prairie dogs are housed (on Mr Gharials map). There is still a tunnel connecting the two areas right or do you want to remove/add outside enclosures?

5. GiratinaIsGod

we allready agrred on the black and rufous elephant shrew

6. JurassicMax

I know, but aren't they really stress sensitive? They are also still a rarity in captivity in Europe, however Blijdorp has been breeding succesfully with them for a long time. Bit of topic but aren't all the Black and rufous elephant shrews in Europe related to eachother, given that they all have been born in Blijdorp (for so far I can tell)?

7. GiratinaIsGod

well, the java mouse deer, aswell would be very stress sensetive. And yes, they are still a rarity here in europe. But this is just a fantasy zoo. Not a real plan.

8. JurassicMax

Indeed, that's true. I was just wondering whether they are so stress sensitive ;)
    Eventhough this isn't a real plan, we still want to use species that are available in (European) zoos, right?

Last edited: 20 Sep 2020
  9. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Aldabra's can't swim but they often cool off in the water, there will be a shallow pool in the enclosure

10. Mr Gharial

Actually, I am actually planning on sending and discussing it with them. The thread was automatically moved to the fantasy zoo section, don't know why

11. Mr Gharial

The tunnel is underground and the path goes above it, there's also a small playground there but other than that it's barren of animals. I wanted to fill it up, if there's enough room (which I'll be investigating on during my next visit), I'll move the prairie dogs to the side of the desert and place a second species in the spot where the prairie dogs are currently, I might go aviary for the non-oceanian birds that where in the aviary in the back where the outback region is planned

12. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

When you are there try to see if you could move the path to be directly next to Bush or desert to allow more space, right now it goes through the middle making it difficult to place an exhibit (Edit: I am currently working on a sketch of how this would work)
    Then they should be fine with the turtles

Last edited: 20 Sep 2020
  13. JurassicMax

Where are the prairie dogs currently located?

14. Mr Gharial

Good idea, I'll have to make a wall to hide the bush, as it would be ugly to see a giant ocean of plastic roof. So two desert rock walls to hide the bush and the desert, a walkway on the bush side, and a prairie dog enclosure in the middle

15. Mr Gharial

Currently, nowhere. But I'm currently planning on placing them opposite of the Western viewing side of the Asian elephants, If there's enough room I'll place them against the wall of the desert

16. Westcoastperson

Here is what I would for maximum space (Key: Staff path-blue, New path-brown, Exhibit Space-green)
    Burgers path move.jpg

17. Mr Gharial

I was actually planning it the opposite way, with the path on the bush side and the prairie dogs on the desert side

18. Westcoastperson

Only problem I see with that is the supports from Bush getting in the way of viewing. There could be some ways you could block them but it would be difficult

19. JurassicMax

Aah okay, I was really sure they didn't have them.

This picture really helps with the visualization! Is the plan to divide this area into two, one for prairie dogs and the other for a aviary? I would suggest putting the prairie dogs in the smaller area (near the staff path) so you have the larger area for the aviary.

20. Mr Gharial

I'm sorry, I don't think I got that.

My plan was to do it like this: Prairie dogs.png