Join our zoo community

Mixed species exhibit ideas:

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by LowlandGorilla4, 27 Apr 2020.

1. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

I feel like interbreeding would be inevitable if they were.

BenFoxster likes this.
  2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would be more concerned over the temperature requirements. Emperors require it extremely cold, being from Antarctica, while King Penguins can be kept at more moderately cold temperatures, being completely sub-Antarctic. There may be some overlap in temperature requirements, but I'm not certain.

And interbreeding would not be inevitable. You wouldn't have interbreeding if you kept, say single-sex colonies of both birds, or if you monitored pairings and eliminated any unwanted eggs (which is something a lot of zoos do when birds they don't want to breed do anyways).

WalkingAgnatha and Corangurilla like this.
  3. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

So here’s an idea. I’ve seen that Gelada + Hyrax + Ibex + Blue winged goose mixes have worked in places like Zurich, and Vulture + Marmot + Ibex mixes have worked in places like Zoo la Garenne, so could a large netted Simien mountains exhibit work with

Geladas
    Nubian ibexes
    Rock hyraxes
    Blue winged geese
    Egyptian vultures
    Ruppell’s vultures
    Bearded vultures
    White necked ravens (substitute for Thick billed raven)

work? Would the Geladas and Vultures cause any problems together? If it where to work what kind of special areas or separation enclosures would it need?

4. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

This could work, but it would need quite a few large trees or rocks that the Gelada's cannot access for the vultures to be able to perch safely. Also I would suggest separate feeding areas

Platypusboy likes this.
  5. Mr Gharial

Two mixes:

1: Mantled colobus, Green monkey and Sitatunga. In a swampy setup with multiple islands for the monkeys to separately access.

2: A large aviary with Northern talapoin, Hamlyn's monkey, Red forest buffalo and Red duiker, Nile lechwe and a large group of birds (The Nile lechwes would be separate from the Buffaloes and Red duikers, but the monkeys and birds can access both areas).
    Birds would include: Crowned cranes, Ibises, Marabous, Yellow-billed storks, Lesser flamingos, Goliath herons, Multiple duck species, Birds ranging from Weaver to Plantain-eater, Vultures, Thick-knees and Francolins. As well as Great white pelicans in their own area, which the monkeys cannot access.

I know that Doué la Fontaine has their Okapi reserve with a similar setup to the second mix, but I still wanted to ask to be safe.

(Doué La Fontaine: Abdim’s stork, Comb duck, Green pigeon, Openbill, Sacred ibis, Blue-bellied roller, Guineafowl, Giant turaco, Grey parrot, Hooded vulture, Goliath heron + Hamlyn’s monkey)

Platypusboy likes this.
  6. Van Beal

Van Beal Well-Known Member

Two mixes (technically):
    American Flamingo
    Wattled Jacana
    Scarlet Ibis

Hyacinth Macaw
    Brazilian Tapir

Also curious as to whether the macaw would mix with the other birds so feedback on that would be great as well.

7. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

If Sitatungas, Drills and Southern talapoins (also pygmy hippos) can work at Bioparc Valencia, the first mix would most likely work.

Mr Gharial likes this.
  8. Mr Gharial

Both should be able to work. Macaws can mix with other birds, but I wouldn't suggest it

Van Beal likes this.
  9. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dresden Zoo used to have a pair of male geladas mixed in a bird of prey aviary that included vultures, but it was eventually discontinued after the geladas attacked a griffon vulture.

Platypusboy likes this.
  10. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

What about Turkey Vulture, Red-tailed Hawk, Great Grey Owl and Barred Owl combination?

11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That might work in a large aviary and right individuals - definitely would need caution.

12. Mr Gharial

Red-tailed hawks do hunt larger birds, but they've been held with Common kestrel before

13. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They don't typically hunt other similarly sized raptors though - they have been successfully mixed with other Buteos occasionally.

14. Mr Gharial

Could White-lipped peccary be mixed with giant otters?

15. Neil chace

I would recommend mixing giant otters with absolutely nothing, ever, under any circumstances.

16. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Mind you, white-lipped peccaries are nasty pieces of work themselves. That exhibit would be a bloodbath. That’s the sort of thing the Romans would have tried in the Coliseum if they had access to South American animals

BenFoxster, Van Beal, Mickey and 3 others like this.
  17. Neil chace

Are white-lipped peccaries nastier than the other two species? I'm more familiar with the two species found in US Zoos, both of which I know have been successfully mixed before.

18. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Can't wait for that Alternate History Hub video! :p

BenFoxster, Van Beal and Mickey like this.
  19. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Chacoans are the chillest of the three. White-lips will take on jaguars. I once asked the Chair of the Pig and Peccary TAG if he thought I could try a mixed exhibit with collared peccary. His response “You put anything smaller than a bison in with peccaries, be prepared to lose it.”

20. Mr Gharial

Odd, since Burgers' zoo is currently introducing Collared peccaries to their Black-tailed prairie dogs and North American porcupines