Join our zoo community

Mixed Species Exhibits with coatis

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dt644, 3 Jan 2020.

1. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I said this topic in my other thread, but I opened this thread by I want to find out more examples about it.

Just like the title, I want you to tell me about the cases of coatis and other species of animals mixed in same exhibit. And please also said too what positive effects such mix had coatis and other animals.

To write down a case in Korea, in 2008, Seoul Zoo’s last Galapagos tortoise, named "Kito" was showed depression by the shock about his same species friend "Nato" was dead at 2 years ago. On this, Seoul Zoo promoted Kito's active by putting South american coatis in Kito's enclosure, and that was successful.

100살 차 '별난 동거'…희귀 거북이 살린 너구리
    This link has news footage video reported by SBS at that time.
    If you know these positive examples, I would appreciate it if you could write down them also.

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zurich has probably the best example of this, with coatis mixed with Spectacled bears in probably the best exhibit for either of these species worldwide :)

3. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Somewhere in Germany or Netherlands, I believe, has a great looking exhibit of coatis mixed with Collared peccary. I saw a video of it on Facebook in the distant past. Looks like it works well. Someone on ZC will know what I'm talking about.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Chapultepec zoo in Mexico mixing their coati colony with a pair of kinkajou for a number of years but I'm not aware of the specifics of whether this was successful in the long term.

5. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Um, I think mixing with Kinkajou is good idea. I would be good to see more cases of mixing with small animals. I'm looking at these examples for reference to the improvement of the Jinyangho Zoo, even if actually Jinyangho's coatis mix other animals, it would be hard for use a large animal, because their enclosure is small.

Of course, you may tell me any animals examples. I a lot of thanks for all the examples you have write here.

And...is any cases of mixing coatis with sloth? In a similar case, the aqua planet Ilsan was raised jaguars at indoor enclosure, but sent them to other zoos at 2018, by a huge protest against about their poor exhibit. And now has Ring-tailed lemurs and a Two-toed sloth in their jaguar cage.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Dt644 , just to clarify , does the institution you work for intend to mix coatis with another species ? Is this why you are asking whether anyone knows of successful examples of this ?

7. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly, but if I suggest a mixed exhibit, they'll listen my suggestion.

Jinju City thinks it needs a new animal at the Jinyangho Zoo, so they has plan of putting the a pair of lion in the place that I'm going to suggest as a coati's outdoor enclosure. But that is something that should never be done, and I think if they want must has new animals, can increase the display effect to something new small animals mixed with Coatis.

Oh, and I don't work there now. But the planning officer told me to suggest anything to me.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2020
  8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Ah , I see, and yes I also agree that putting a pair of lions in that outdoor enclosure would be a ridiculous and irresponsible idea.

I think I can also now see the logic behind this. Correct me if I'm wrong , but I guess what you are trying to do with this mixed coati exhibit is provide a viable alternative to the proposed lion exhibit , right?

9. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

You right, the Jinyangho Zoo has plan relocated to a new location in six to seven years. So I'd like to get many examples that can be using and reference right now and possibly even after zoo moved new place.

But I don't think the mixed exhibit "must" needs to be made now. If Jinju city think the zoo needs "must" new animal species, I thinking of strongly proposing mixed exhibit.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think a coati mixed species exhibit would be the lesser of two evils given what you have told me about the plans for lions. However, I think an even better idea would be to first focus on improving the captive environment that the coatis presently occupy and only then to consider the possibility of introducing another species into the enclosure.

I dont think it is a good idea to mix the coatis with any species while they are in their present smaller enclosure but if they were given the additional access of the larger enclosure (and this itself better improved upon) a mixed species arrangement could work.

dt644 likes this.
  11. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Yeah, so I'm going to take a very careful approach to the mixed exhibit. I think the most important thing now is to create an optimized exhibit for coatis.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes , I definitely agree. The good thing is that this kind of optimization and improvement of the enclosure can be achieved relatively economically and easily by the zoo and it will definitely improve the wellbeing of the coatis.

amur leopard likes this.
  13. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw some spectacular exhibits for spectacled bears in Ecuador, so I'm not sure the one in Zurich is the best. Artis kept South American coatis and a spectacled bear together in the past.

It's in Planckendael (Belgium).

tetrapod likes this.
  14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At Paris Zoological Park I've seen 1 1/2 month ago a mixed enclosure from Coatis with Bush dogs. Don't know how this will work long-term but at the moment I saw the enclosure both species were very active :).

15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

The Racine Zoo keeps Southern Coatis with their Spectacled Bears.

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not anymore.

17. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zlin zoo used to keep coatis with peccari for years. Each of them were kept only in single-sex group so that they wont breed (mothers protecting their youngsters can be vicious and so create conflicts). The area was rather large and coatis had plenty of climbing structures. However the peccaris have quickly destroyed most of vegetation due to their digging the ground so the enclosure was not much appealing to visitors.

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Interesting information and mixed exhibit. But I think that given the context of this Korean zoo if peccaries were introduced into either of those "enclosures" shown in the pictured provided by Dt644 the coatis would very quickly end up thoroughly killed and eaten.

19. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Well, you can write anything information and example now. I'll just refer to it for later.

And the Seoul Zoo is the only zoo in Korea that has peccary, so even if other Korean zoo want to get them, won't be able to get them easy. In additions, the process of importing animals of Even-toed ungulate to Korea from abroad is very difficult by law. Because of this law, many zoo manias and some zoo in Korea other than me continue to lament that although almost all of their many kinds antelopes, gnu and bactrian camel have died in Korea, it is difficult to bring in new ones.

20. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Twycross had them with Bush dogs in recent years and Chester had them with the Spectacled bears.