Join our zoo community

Mixed Species Exhibits with coatis

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dt644, 3 Jan 2020.

1. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

theres photos on this site of a zoo that keeps coatis with capuchin and spider monkeys

2. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Coatis are mixed with squirrel monkeys in Burgers Zoo.

3. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Noahs Ark Zoo Farm have the largest group of Coati in the UK mixed with two Spectacled bears.

4. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is a zoo somewhere in South America that keeps coatis on an island with capuchin monkeys and tayra.

TNT likes this.
  5. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for so many information. I'll have to tabulate the facility list that has mix enclosure on the proposal.

6. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

If I remember cotrectly were they seperated in Twycross, after the bush dgs killed and ate a coati

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I can't remember reading that, but believe it was mentioned that the bush dogs grew a bit aggressive towards the coatis.

8. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

An exhibit with two-toed sloths and coatis is possible. The Bronx zoo has a mixed-species marsh that includes coatis, a two-toed sloth, squirrel monkeys, and waterfowl (I don't know exactly which waterfowl but I believe it was flamingoes, spoonbills, and ducks). This mix does work well but the animals do have to go into holding during colder months.

9. Westcoastperson

I posted about the Bronx zoo above this

10. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm currently unable to visit City Hall to discuss the zoo because of COVID-19, but I'll make the information you gave me useful as soon as the COVID-19 end.

11. Westcoastperson

You're welcome :) If then animals don't work together making a mash/islands helps to separate the animals because I don't think the Coatis can swim (the sloths can but probably won't)

12. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jersey Zoo keeps their ring-tailed coati with black-and-gold howler monkeys in First Impressions. I believe the howlers, at least, are a breeding group

13. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

i disagree on several things said on here and it should be stated that zoochat is a plattform for enthusiast of all backgrounds from new comer to professional and therefor is not representative for the profession since most people on here are less experienced further more just because certain zoological gardens do something tho they might have a good reputation does not mean that they do not do mistakes either

different aspects play in how the coinhabitants might get along and one is space that is often very limited in asian zoos

even some examples mentioned succesfull are questiinable for example zurich where the coatis had to be given a whole island fot themself instead of what was meant to be coinhabited with the spectacled bears because the later would not leave them take a nap in peace a keeper told us at the zoo

the capuchins and coatis are also considered very critical since the inhanitants stressed one another out and either hunted or stalked each

a lot of species seemed to get along well but did not breed and breeding is now known to be not even a represntative indicator for the health of the animals so it must have been even worse

neither sloths nor kinkajous are good mix
    they are noctural and solitary and coatis could seriously harm them

a lot of those that are actually more proffesional on here just watch and not act thinking no one that unproffesional could be in charge to do those things but the past jas sadly shown that even within europe this problem was undererstimated and money counted more than proffesion leading to questionable mixture or general husbandry fails

i do not want to be offensive but make clear that we all are on here for the love we share for animals

dt644 likes this.
  14. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand what you want to say.

Don't worry too much. There's nothing I can do about my local zoo right now, and I'll take a more careful approach to actually exhibit different kinds of animals together.

My local zoo's many mangers are don't know anything about international zoos. So, I'm trying to gather information about overseas zoos that are more advanced than Korea, just as I opened this thread to collect information, and let them know. Even if the information collected here actually applies to my local zoo, it will go through consultations with more Korean zoo experts in the process.

So once again, don't worry too much, and thank you very much for your concern. When it comes to living animals, it's natural to keep thinking deeply.

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Thats one way of putting it!

16. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Antwerp Zoo used to keep ring-tailed coatis mixed with spectacled bears.

Planckendael has ring-tailed AND white-nosed coatis mixed with Chacoan peccaries.

evilmonkey239 likes this.