Join our zoo community

Mixed species exhibits with primates

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by monkeymoo, 22 Jun 2014.

1. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Edinburgh has their Living Links exhibit with mirror enclosures holding Squirrel Monkeys and Capuchins

Edinburgh Zoo - Living Links

They also have had various mixed Lemur exhibits over the years - at one point the main Lemur enclosure had a mix of species but i believe it's backed to just ring tails again., with the other lemurs being in the monkey house.

2. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Don't the Douroucouli at Edinburgh live with another primate as well? Pygmy marmosets maybe?

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Last time I visited, the pygmy marmosets were mixed with golden-headed lion tamarins I think. The Douroucouli were mixed - until the latter species left the collection - with Northern Luzon Cloud Rat.

4. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

The Magic Forest mixes and matches it's exhibits so often it's hard to keep up!

5. futurekeeper

futurekeeper Well-Known Member

shaldon

shaldon mix white faced saki, golden headed lions tamarind and potoroo and previously red titi and potoroo

6. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Although it is about UK zoos, I think you may be interested in the hamadryas baboon - lion mix exhibit in Beijing Wild Animal Park. It was finally proved to be a poor idea after a bloody war between the alpha male baboon and the male lion...... Now the two species are still kept in the same exhibit, but separated by hot-wires.

7. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Cleveland: colobus monkey and klipspringer
    Akron: different types of lemur together

8. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

To add to CloudedLeopard's examples ;)

Akron: Golden Tamarins mixed with fish, stingrays, birds and turtles. Its a really neat little exhibit that mimics a little ecosystem quite nicely.

Cleveland: Use to have Francois Langur and Prevost's Squirrels together in the langurs large exhibit which extends from the first to second floor of The RainForest. The langurs were always on the top floor and the squirrels lived in the base of the faux trees that had viewing areas at the bottom. Not sure if they're still together or not.

9. Montana119

Montana119 Member

Bronx Zoo- Geladas with ibexes,rock hyraxes and I believe african waterfowl.
    Maybe in Jungle World also I recall with the tapirs.

10. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

There are Prevost's squirrels across from the orangutans and on the same side as the fish tank and the otters at the upper level of the RainForest, but the langurs don't share with the squirrels anymore.
    Argh, I forgot about Akron!
    Columbus Zoo- Lar gibbons mixed with ring-tailed lemurs

11. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Adelaide Zoo (current): Dusky langur with Malayan tapir
    Melbourne Zoo (formerly): De Brazza's guenon with Western lowland gorilla [UNSUCCESSFUL]

12. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went to Woburn the other day Bintorong Patas monkey and Barbary Macaques - was interesting to watch the Patas kept theselves to themselves where as the Macaques were all over the place

13. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have read all these unusual species mixes and believe that the acceptable mixes should be zoogeographically correct with compatible species WITHIN each zoogeographic zone. Deliver the correct message ie neotropical, asia, africa, europe, north america, australia. Avoid the noah's arch fantacy/myth.

14. garyjp

yes i agree - i imagine if the exhibit was large enough it could work

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not zoogeographically correct but still intresting : Oliemeulen in the Netherlands has Squirrel monkey's together with Blue and Yellow macaws ( which is zoogeographically correct ) and Lesser flamingos ( not correct ).

16. garyjp

Ive often wonder why perhaps a south american monkey exhibit has not been tried before with two or three different species

17. Thesweham

Thesweham Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Parken Zoo, keep Lar gibbons and Oriental small-clawed otters together. I know also Randers rainforest has the same mix.

Universeum, keep White tufted-ear marmoset, Pied tamarin, Goeldi's marmoset in their rainforest. They are free range with lot of bird species like Sunbittern, Scarlet ibis and many other species.

Kolmården, had too many years ago mix between Lar gibbons and Lowland tapir (the tapir had asset to the gibbon island).

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At Antwerp Zoo - Belgium - Squirrel monkey's ( a group of about 16 animals ) live together with Spectacled bear(s).

19. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

The kitty won, right?

20. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

Geladas? From highlands rather than jungle and 6 months ago it was lar gibbons in there...