Join our zoo community

Model Zoo Exhibits

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Bongo, 28 Mar 2008.

1. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have found a model making company that has produced model zoo exhibits.
    The company is called Faller and they have made a polar bear, Orangutan, Penguin, Bison and Deer exhibits in HO scale. I will try and put pictures in the gallery.

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

They are also releasing a model of the Hagenbeck zoo entrance.

Are the exhibits modeled on a real-life exhibit?

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Any website for them ?

4. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I used to have all the Britains Zoo Animals models. They were 1:32 scale. I always wanted a warthog, but they didn't produce any.

6. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

I used to have a great collection of toy animals when I was a little kid. They were made of lead (dangerous - wouldn't be allowed now.) Wonder what happened to them all?
    I had hippos, rhinos, lions, tigers, elephants, even a (lead) chimp sitting in a (lead) tree! They were made in Britain.

I remember my aunt went to every toy shop in Sydney trying to get me a lioness! There were plenty of lions but no lionesses. She finally got me one.

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm 32 and still have hundreds of toy zoo animals that I collected in the early years of my life. Many small plastic ones, but also numerous animals that are larger, hand-painted and very well done. Overall I must easily have 500 toy zoo animals that have been stored away for years. I naturally haven't touched them in years, but when I was a kid I'd make these enormous zoos that would fill entire rooms...ahhh nostalgia.

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I know the company Faller quite well as I use them for my model railroads. I was unaware that they had zoo exhibits though.

9. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I never knew Britains did zoo animals! I had (still have in fact) a massive collection of the farm toys though. I remember I used to go with my dad to the farm supplies shop when he needed parts, they used to sell the model tractors there.

10. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I have some very old Scleich animals, and some of the newer ones. I want them to make tapirs!

I used to collect the yowies when they were being made, and I got about 100 australian yowies a few years ago.

11. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have schliech animals and yowies too from when i was younger. My little brother still collects schliechs though.

12. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Check Britains Zoo Animals out on E-bay. Reckon you could build the complete collection if you so desired (and were prepared tp pay for it).

Apparantly the Platypus is the real rarity as since it was to scale of the other animals it was the 'most lost' animal in the collection. :p

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i remember i had a gaur along with many others and i painted it black and painted its legs below the knee white with tippex, i also used to rub down the horns of the Indian and black rhinos too.

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had a lead spotted hyena, though it was plain grey in colour, not a spot in site.

15. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i only looked at this thread so i could hang it on all of you for letting your obsession for zoos go so far that your were now talking about "model zoos"...

then i saw your talking about "britains" toy animals. as a kid i loved my animal toys and the britains ones were the only models strong enough to survive my big sisters nasty habit of chewing off the hooves on one side only (essentially giving me a farmyard of "sleeping" animals). i still have a few, including some i must have inherited from when my parents were in england. the later edition animals had shoddier paintwork, and mine are certainly not to scale with eachother - but i'm pretty sure i still have someplace an orangutan, ostrich, giant tortoise, couple of lioness', bear, a large black rhino, an eagle, and maybe some of my original farm animals such as the draft horse and cow.

are they worth money now? i might check ebay...

16. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Some Britains figures are worth a lot!

I only have one old toy-elephant, it's 80-90 years old, and made of "elastolin".

The new Faller models are very good. I saw some in a toyshop.

17. Reptile Lover

Reptile Lover Well-Known Member

I have round about 40 Schleich animals.

18. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Beckonscot Model Village has a model of the old penguin pool at London Zoo!

19. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

20. ontariozoo

ontariozoo Member

you are in luck !schleich and safari ltd are both selling malayan tapirs this year, seen the pre launch photos and they are very nice!
    Schleich is also releasing warthog boar sow and piglet, lynx female and kit, yak, displaying ostritch,moose bull cow and calf, amongst others!
    Safari ltd is also releasing a really nice running dromedary and ostrich!
    My collection of model animals which I have collected since I was 2 [ starting with the asian and african elephant bought for me at Edinburgh zoo in 1975] has now run to thousands and thousands of animals of pretty much ANY species you can name!
    Growing up in rural Argyll with only the Britains animals as a boy, Im now spoiled with everything from Aardvarks to Zebu- and naked mole rats, quetzals,saki monkeys,roan antelope,linsang,secretary bird,to name a few recent aquistions-the whole Animal kingdom, which make for an awesome display!
    And they are much easier to look after than the ones at work!

Last edited: 15 Nov 2009