Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden A Walk Through the Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Moebelle, 24 Jun 2013.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Each week I will upload a video to Youtube showing a tour of an attraction at the zoo. I'm doing this to not only to show the actual quality of each enclosure but the surrounding's environments as well. I was going to wait until all of them were finished but I can't wait (It would've taken me until August)This week I made two videos of Wolf Woods, and Night Hunters. Next Friday I will post a video of the near one year-old Cat Canyon. For the Wold Woods video, I would recommend turning the volume down but turn it up while watching Night Hunters (you'll hear the sounds of the jungle). Last thing I want to point out is to turn the quality up to 720HD since my camera is not very good. Don't know how to do that? Find the gear on the black, bottom bar with the picture of a gear. Click on it and you will see. One thing I noticed while watching this on Zoochat it that it lags. So if this is happening to you watch it on Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the video, many of the Night Hunters exhibits look better than they've been described as by many members.

~Thylo:cool:

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

...and now I'm dizzy.

4. Moebelle

Sorry about that:eek: I'll be sure to keep it steady next time. I moved it around a lot because I didn't want people to think I was taking a video of them. So I moved it to my waist to keep it hidden.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2013
  5. ThylacineAlive

Oh come on, it's all good fun!

Very funny jb!:D Though I did not understand at first as I did not catch Moe's mistake.

I thank you for these videos, Moebelle. With my visit in only a few weeks these videos will help me figure out where exactly the most desired species are located in many of the exhibits.

6. Moebelle

You are much welcome Thylacine. I'm making them specifically for you, those who are planning to visit, to disprove misconceptions, and those who wants to know what the zoo's landscape is like.

7. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Good stuff, Moe'. I would suggest that you chew with your mouth closed. My oldest, caught on to the crunching and slobbering sounds in the wolf woods video.

8. ThylacineAlive

I was talking to him in a pm about the videos (he showed them to me before posting) and he explained that that was his friend who was chewing ice.

9. Moebelle

Here's a better Night Hunters video. I enhanced it to make it look more easy to watch but it still needs to be turned to 720HD...

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I really like nocturnal houses and a large one such as this (i.e. many exhibits) is great. The videos are very good for getting a sense of how it is all laid out. It is true that some of the enclosures do indeed seem quite acceptable but, equally, many of the enclosures are just as small as they looked from photos. Like the aardwolf one, and the one for the fossa. If anything the video shows them to be smaller than they appear from still photos. The amount of dress-setting is a bit of a turn-off for me as well. Every one looks so similar to the next, and the bulk of the rockwork and tree-trunks is pretty overwhelming in comparison with the size of the enclosures themselves.

So, not as bad as the reptile house by a long shot, but still not as good a space for the inhabitants as they should have.

11. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree with Chlidonias about Night Hunters. Cincinnati Zoo is my home town zoo and i understand firsthand how bad Night Hunters really is the more pics are posted about it the worst it looks.

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The same can be said of certain neighborhoods in Cincinnati itself ;)

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I concur; the range of species held is fantastic, but the enclosures seem somewhat identikit and therefore although great for smaller species such as the sandcats, are too small and crowded for species such as the aardwolf, clouded leopard and fossa.

14. Moebelle

Trust me the clouded leopard exhibit is not small, I agree with everything else though. The smallest species, Pallas cat, vampire bat, galago, black footed cat, and sand cat, all have the most room.

15. Moebelle

I got a video of Gorilla World, the elephant bath , the rest of Night Hunters, and a preview a Africa and will upload them tonight.

16. Moebelle

17. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

the lion exhibit was a letdown

18. Moebelle

How? I think it's wonderful. It's lush, wide open, almost barrier-free, good size (11,200 sq. ft.-Woodland Park Zoo), and they will get a chance to play tug of war with the guests.

19. ThylacineAlive

I believe that was the Cheetah exhibit Moebelle ended the video on. Which I did find to be a disappointed of sorts. While beautifully designed, I found it looked too small for more than one cat at a time. I guess it's okay when they have a huge sprinting exhibit they use everyday.

20. Moebelle

The cheetah exhibit is around 4,100 sq. ft. If the cheetah were all the way in the back in the center, which it was after the video, you would see it's tail stick out behind the tree. But I still think it's a great exhibit.