Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden A Walk Through the Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Moebelle, 24 Jun 2013.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah, so the outdoor enclosure an addition made specifically for Chia-Chia then? As I seem to remember reading that something was built specifically for her, and I guess I just assumed that it was the whole complex. That would explain it.

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I got videos of Eagle Eyrie, Bonobos in their indoor exhibit, Lords of the Arctic (both of the animals weren't active but it focuses on the exhibits), Children's Zoo, Gibbon Islands, Red Pandas, and White-handed Gibbons in their outdoor exhibit. When you watch the lar gibbons, don't focus on their movements (because the video quality is terrible), just turn up the volume and hear the very loud music of the apes!

3. Moebelle

4. Moebelle

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How many exhibits do you have left to film? And do you plan to do the same thing with Louisville once you get back?

~Thylo:cool:

6. Moebelle

The three that are uploading now are the Children's Zoo, Eagle Eyrie, and Red Pandas. Elephant Reserve, Rhino Reserve, Monkey Island, and eventually phase 4 (which can be seen except for the wild dogs) and 5 of Africa are left to be filmed. I will not record Rhino Reserve, or Monkey Island until the new black rhino comes to the zoo, and when the macaques return. Besides it's already tough enough to see the okapis and the duiker and they would have to be in the video. I still will take videos of active animals (when active) such as John the lion, sifakas, langurs, colobus monkeys, aardwolves, and maybe even the Cheetah Encounter show.

I will not do the same for the Louisville Zoo. I only will visit the zoo maybe once or twice this year since it's the school year because well you know, it's school. I didn't enjoy the zoo that much anyways.

When are you going to post your videos of the elephants and birds show?

7. ThylacineAlive

Okay, thanks for the information! I look forward to seeing on video how the final stages of Africa! turn out.

Well, here's my problem, YouTube hasn't been working on my computer ever since we got back (or maybe a bit before) so I literally can't upload them on my laptop! I do have them copied onto my flash drive so really it becomes a matter of when I'm going to be able to secure the house computer long enough to upload my videos (which I know can take forever!). I have more than just the bird show and elephant videos, by the way. I have a video of the Mueller's and Lar Gibbons, one of a Polar Bear underwater, one of a Mexican Wolf, one or two of Gladys (my sister made me promise to take a bunch:p), one of the manatees, and one, of course, of Harapan (not Suci since she was just laying in the mud when I saw her).

I also took a small video of Lowry Park's Florida Panther so I have that to upload as well.

All that, along with my site, and with school just around the corner with the promise of me having to start Junior year (which, as you probably know, isn't the best year), starting driver's ed., and getting a job is going to make me a very busy boy in the upcoming months!:eek:

8. Moebelle

I hope you get the chance to come back down here and see the final touches of the savanna.

That's a shame with your computer. What do you think's wrong?

Wow! All perfect animal videos to add to the page!

And yes Junior year is hard, but the driving makes it more fun!

9. Moebelle

White-handed gibbons, Hosen, Connie, and little Possum. Don't watch just listen. The funniest line you'll here is:
    -"Awww look at that orange (orangutan) thing"
    -"Aww that must be the mother (of the gibbons)"
    I could barely hold my laughter:D
    Cincinnati Zoo - White-handed Gibbon Calls - YouTube

10. ThylacineAlive

If I were to come back up there one day, I'd try and hit the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium, the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, (possibly) the Newport Aquarium, and the Louisville Zoo in one long, and odd swoop. Possibly one or two other collections as well but I'm not planning anything right now.

I have no clue. My Dad, who works with computers, has no clue either. I haven't had much luck with Lenovo laptops despite their good rating.

Me getting my driver's license shall mark the real beginning to my independent zoo life! Luckily, my family already has an old car I can drive so I don't have to worry about sharing a car or buying one so much right now. Hopefully the fact that I'm taking two more zoological science classes this year will help make it more fun.

11. ThylacineAlive

I really started getting annoyed when everyone started calling the gibbons baby orangutans. At least the second day they were promoted to "the little white ones:p"

In one of my Gladys videos, who can hear a woman shouting, "Oh look, the mamma is picking up her baby! Oh, and that's the daddy behind them! Aw, look at the mamma with her baby!" Mara was holding Gladys and M'linzi (?) was behind them.....

I just wish I got the women telling her kids a Potto was a bat on film:p

12. Moebelle

Oh I know. I have a Lenevo laptop and despite it's cool features like having a rotating screen (to be turned into a tablet), can be used with a pen, and has a touch screen, it is extremely slow and can break easily.

13. Moebelle

M'linzi is correct...

I hear that every time I go to the zoo and I don't know why it's so hard for people to just read the sign that is literally right above the orangutan one.

14. Moebelle

15. Moebelle

16. Moebelle

17. ThylacineAlive

Mine doesn't do any of that, it's just a regular laptop from Lenovo. When I first got it I was excited but then a bump from my brother the day after I got it knocked half the keys out! Then, that same night, I went to charge it and when I plugged it in, it shut down and never turned back on! And the outlet hasn't exactly worked either..... Luckily I got another on the warranty but had to wait two and a half months (which just so happened to be the two and a half months of my summer) to get a replacement since new ones come straight to you from Kentucky but replacement ones apparently have to come from China (which still shouldn't have taken two and a half months!). My computer has already had to go into my Dad's work to get rebuilt and now it's starting to run worst than ever! It's blue screened four times in the past week, the last two in five minutes of each other! My Dad still has the original Lenovo that I had and he wants to try and take the best working parts from both computers and just build a brand new machine.

18. Moebelle

19. Moebelle

I will visit the zoo tomorrow and will finally get the last exhibit video in. It will be of the Elephant Reserve.

20. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The African and blue penguin exhibits seem really open and close to the public. Do they ever have problems with people trying to touch the penguins? Where do the penguins go during the winter?