Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden A Walk Through the Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Moebelle, 24 Jun 2013.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just made a video on Hippo Cove and it may be up tonight or tomorrow.

2. Moebelle

Here's the video of Hippo Cove. I apologize for the shaking (it's not as bad as my previous videos) and the one typo but believe it or not, when Youtube fixes the issues it just messes too much with the captions. I also apologize for the quality of the video since I struggle and have little patience for iMovie, compared to Window's alternative, which was much simpler. On the bright side it is filmed with a DSLR camera, and the hippos are very, very active. It's very short and sweet and was made just to give a better view of the habitat where there are no depth distortions compared to a photograph. And lastly... my name isn't Jake:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JViNbzHvevs

3. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the video. The last viewing area before the filtration room over the "rock" wall seems like poor planning. Then again, this is Skimpcinnati. Would have been nice to have an acrylic panel or two, to size-up Hippopotamus on land. Would probably show the land area, if you can call it that, much better. Not bad, but not great. The humans have all the luxuries, as usual. I'd give it a solid 2 out of 10.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I thought it strange the video didn't even seem to show the land area. Can it not be seen, or is it just so small it may as well not be seen?

The underwater viewing looks good, the pool is a nice depth, but the hippos sure looked awkward in some parts of it with the small size.

5. Gulo gulo

I think you can see it? It's a small strip of sand bar, I guess. They did a bang-up job masking things. Aerials show something different. Video also says 3,500sf, when the curator? mentioned how the filtration building is larger at 3,000sf. Think it's on a different thread or picture? Moebell must have included the luxurious viewing area and playscape. Right?

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

oh I know where the land area is (beyond that mock-rock wall behind the sign, in the video it is on the way between the underwater viewing and the filtration room) - I just couldn't actually see it. I wasn't sure if that was because it was too small to see from the view-point, or if he just skipped showing it intentionally because it was so small.

EDIT: watching it again, I see a bit of it over the water from the underwater viewing area, and yeah I can see at least a bit of it briefly in the side view from the path before the camera quickly panned away from it back to the pool.

7. Gulo gulo

Well, given his height and I'm sure he could raise his arms to shoot the area, but, maybe not? Then again, the video segues towards walking to the filtration viewing area. Seems like an editing decision, to me. Probably wanted not to give people something to gripe about. He seems to hold Skimpci' to a higher level, as seen throughout his detailed posts, pictures, computer sketch-up's and so on. He clearly adores the place. Which is fine. Michael Jackson wasn't perfect, either, but millions of people still love him.

8. Moebelle

Even with my height yes, it's difficult to see over the wall but it's rather pointless to view from up there considering the two sleep 90% of the time at the other end of the exhibit. I believe guests weren't allowed near the wall after a certain accident occurred...

9. Moebelle

Funny, that's my other favorite subject. Although I originally didn't want to add in the filtration system in the video I ended up doing so just because it was still part of the complex. I didn't care what people said or thought of it in the outcome it was just a video. I added the filtration system fact not to get people to gripe but merely just to state a fact. I'm sorry for the unsatisfying angles but I wasn't trying to get every little detail shown - just tried to show what the average visitor would see.

10. Gulo gulo

Yeah, shame that. I mean, is Hippo Cove a non-smoking area like Gorilla World? Not that it stopped them from... nevermind. Y'know, a certain gorilla by the name of Little Joe never had a child fall in a moat with him, but he did escape a few times. Indoor and Outdoor exhibits, even tossed some humans around on his way to the bus stop. He'll be twenty-three in a few months.

11. Moebelle

The entire zoo is non-smoking...unless that was supposed to mean something else.

12. Moebelle

Future walkthroughs can be found on this channel below from now on. It is my true personal page, and this time, I am also incorporating the before and after effects of my photo edits. In my first video, I started off short and small as a way just to quickly get my page out there - enjoy this and future videos.

13. Moebelle

Second Photoshop video. Next week will be a walkthrough of Cincinnati's Africa. I held off on it yesterday on my visit because I learned that a tripod can't be replaced with zoo fencing...

14. Moebelle

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=W8p04M-nTPQ

The Africa video will be up this coming Monday. Also within less than a month, I will take my first trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo (a city Cincinnatians are raised to loathe) and I will take a video of the new Jungle Odyssey if no one else does.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Moebelle

Africa is finally here

16. Moebelle

I had to fix the Africa video a bit and now it is republished. What would people like to see next?

17. Moebelle

Here's a short video of Gibbon Islands and the Red Panda exhibits.

18. Moebelle

Here is a link to the Wings of Wonder Bird Encounter. I covered the show as much as I could but some insignificant parts had to be cut to save room on my camera. This is pretty much the only thing in the zoo that I haven't covered with my video channel. I highly recommend watching this to see the talent from both the animals and even the employees. This show is perfectly organized - and contains the right amount of humor tied in with facts of every species featured. The video even features the pre-show with Watson the Coati and funny banter between the opener and the always whacky Bob. I recommend turning up the volume, you may laugh and learn a few things. This covered the day's second show, which seems to always have errors... including this one. There is a blooper involving the cockatoo and amazon segment. The Reptile House and Wings of the World walkthroughs will be up within the week. Here is a list of all the animals featured:

1. Coatimundi
    2. Roller Pigeon
    3. Green-winged Macaw (First appearance cut - Drops a can in a recycling bin)
    4. Blue-and-Gold Macaw
    5. Green-winged Macaw (Flight demonstration)
    6. Hyacinth Macaw (Flight)
    7. Khaki Duck
    8. Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
    9. Yellow-naped Amazon
    10. Khaki Duck (Second appearance for comedic relief)
    11. Rhinoceros Hornbill
    12. Hyacinth Macaw (Rope demonstration)
    13. Brown Rat
    14. Black Vulture
    15. Barred Owl (Cut - Shown for 10 seconds and the show projects the barred owl call)
    16. Striped Skunk (Cut - used for comedic relief to scare Bob - show discusses what raptors eat)
    16. African Penguin
    17. Green-winged Macaw (Third appearance - steals Bob's water)
    18. Black Vulture (Second appearance - chases Bob)
    19. Emu
    20. Abyssinian Ground Hornbill
    21. Green-winged Macaw (Fourth appearance - brings water back and the show discusses diseases birds carry)
    22. Bald Eagle

The shakiness is being fixed and processed. Should be ready in about 10 minutes. If you don't mind it, you can still watch it. Change the quality...

19. Moebelle

Here is Wing of the World. The full walkthrough of Akron should be up within 2 days

20. drill

drill Well-Known Member

excellent video with marvelous up close views of the animals especially the gouldian finch. What as the building used for from 1950 to 1996 and what is a giant fruit bat?