Join our zoo community

Mogo Zoo Mogo Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Geoffrey, 29 Dec 2017.

1. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

Had a great trip to Mogo today - once again the zoo is in great shape and they keep surprising me with positive updates. Not really any actually new exhibits but a LOT of moving things around and reworking stuff.

- Lots of movement of primates. In addition to the Francois' langurs previously mentioned in this thread (in the old Lar gibbon/spider monkey cage), the squirrel monkeys now occupy the exhibit opposite the otters that used to have golden lion and cotton top tamarins, while a second group of emperor tamarins are where the squirrel monkeys used to be. The squirrel monkeys have access to both sides of that exhibit but there is still a wall separating the two.
    - The binturong is now in the old De Brazza cage (no De Brazzas anymore).
    - The dingo exhibit was empty and a sign said it was being prepared for new occupants. (?)
    - The old meerkat exhibit has been demolished and that part of the zoo opened up further (a small garden is where the exhibit used to be and the path now connects on both sides). The old fennec fox exhibit has been extended around towards the cafe and now holds meerkats. The fennecs have moved to the old binturong exhibit. The red panda exhibit in between now holds radiated tortoises instead.

Additionally I was pleased to see a number of species increasing in numbers (notably giraffes, of which there are now eight). The changes are really positive - almost all of them mean that the species in question have more room than they used to. (I really hope the tigers - the only real remaining offenders - are next.) The zoo certainly appears to be thriving.

The creation of the new gorilla exhibit was well underway. There was also some sort of primate-related construction going on behind the primate islands (towards the road) - not sure what that might be for!

Chlidonias, Kifaru Bwana and Riley like this.
  2. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member

A rhinoceros has gored a senior zoo keeper at Mogo Zoo

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

A Silverey Gibbon was born last weekend

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  4. jay

jay Well-Known Member

Thats good about gibbon but any further info?

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Kibaru (I think that’s his name ) the Male silverback gorilla has passed away ;(

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

His name is Kibabu ;)

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I knew it had some thing missing in the name :)

Jambo likes this.
  8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

2 orang-utans arrived yesterday, I believe from Taronga.