Join our zoo community

Mogo Wildlife Park Mogo Zoo News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jet, 11 Nov 2011.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that is sad, but a good age for him to reach.

Tapirs can be imported, but only a few of the zoos appear interested in doing so. It might be a while before any new ones come in.

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Mogo zoo have a new baby Zebra born to the herd!

3. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Discovered on the Taronga Zoo website that Mogo are soon to receive orang-utans.

CGSwans likes this.
  4. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

Big news for Mogo! I wonder where they'll put the orangs. I guess the old tapir exhibit must be empty now - but it would need a significant, almost total redevelopment to be suitable. Nothing else seems remotely big enough, unless I'm missing something obvious. Given how long it took the chimp/gorilla exhibit to be finished, I assume this must still be a little way off.

5. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited Mogo Zoo a week ago. Was impressed by the Tiger talk from the keeper. Nice to see Malu is still there :) apparently there are plans to bring Orangutans and Sun Bears in the future. The Dingos and Brazilian Tapirs were gone. Tamarins are on one of the islands now and i dont remember Francois Langur or Radiated Tortoise in 2015 and pretty sure there were still Spider Monkeys and DeBrazzas Guenobs back then. Good visit all round. Busy with summer tourists. Has potential for expansion if neighbouring property/paddocks could be bought :)

6. Zorro

Radiated are listed on their website but no mention of Francois on there unless they managed to obtain some from Taronga?

7. Geoffrey

Where are the langurs and tortoises? I assume the langurs are probably in the old De Brazza's cages in the old zoo near the silvery gibbons - what about the gibbon cage next to the tigers that held spider monkeys for a while? Is there anything in the tapir and dingo exhibits? (I believe they actually own the next chunk of paddocks already - at least another twenty acres or so, I think.)

8. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Taronga have never exported Francios languor to Mogo you must have mistaken them for another specie?

BennettL

9. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In regards to the Francois langurs, despite the transfer not being publicised by either zoo, I do remember reading that Taronga did have to brothers that they had bred held off display, I assume the langur would be these? Unless Mogo has imported some

10. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Possibly,but I thought some were exported to Europe some time ago?

BennettL

11. Zorro

I believe a couple were exported to the Howletts zoo in the UK in resent times!

12. Riley

I've just been scrolling through some instagram photos of the zoo and found some photos of the langurs. They appear to have 2. They are in a new large (width and height wise) enclosure. I believe it would be where the De Brazzas and spider monkey enclosures used to be if both of these have now gone.

steveroberts likes this.
  13. Zorro

Surprised there's nothing mentioned on their website as far as I could see!

steveroberts likes this.
  14. Geoffrey

Any links to the pictures? Have they knocked down those old enclosures, I wonder, or adapted them into something new? Either way it is really amazing how quickly Mogo is able to whip up exhibits these days - I still remember the years upon years it took to get the chimp/gorilla exhibit done. Great news for the zoo either way - those old De Brazza's cages had been spruced up a lot over the years but they never stopped feeling like throwbacks.

steveroberts likes this.
  15. Riley

Mogo Zoo will be receiving a male giraffe from New Zealand and will be live streaming his arrival on their Facebook page tomorrow morning.

16. Zorro

Two baby Golden Lion Tamarins born on Australia day!

drill likes this.
  17. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sydney port receives a tall order from across the Tasman when giraffe makes a sea change
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/aadcce4a9ebae614c75cc506376848da
    PORT Botany’s DP World received a special piece of cargo when 15-month-old giraffe Mtundu arrived at the terminal after being shipped across the Tasman Sea en route to his new home at Mogo Zoo.

The 500kg male giraffe’s left his mum, Kiraka, and dad, Zabulu, at Auckland Zoo and embarked on the three day sea voyage in a purpose-built crate aboard a 42,000 ton Hamburg Sud vessel as part of a carefully orchestrated operation.

After safely arriving at Port Botany last month, the crate containing Mtundu ‒ who was accompanied by the zoo’s Pridelands team leader Nat Sullivan and vet, Dr Melanie Leech ‒ was lifted off the vessel onto a low loader truck waiting at the wharf.
    “Mtundu’s a very relaxed giraffe with a lovely nature and that’s really helped with his crate training for this trip,” Ms Sullivan said.

After arriving at Port Botany, a convoy of transport and logistic professionals helped to load the crate onto the truck which set off on a 284km four-hour trip down the Princes Highway to Mogo on the NSW south coast.

Mogo Zoo’s operations manager Rob Clifford said Mtundu was completing his 30 days of quarantine and was due to be integrated with other giraffes, a threatened species, including five females as part of the Australasian zoos breeding program.
    “Mtundu’s a very relaxed giraffe with a lovely nature and that’s really helped with his crate training for this trip,” Ms Sullivan said.

After arriving at Port Botany, a convoy of transport and logistic professionals helped to load the crate onto the truck which set off on a 284km four-hour trip down the Princes Highway to Mogo on the NSW south coast.

Mogo Zoo’s operations manager Rob Clifford said Mtundu was completing his 30 days of quarantine and was due to be integrated with other giraffes, a threatened species, including five females as part of the Australasian zoos breeding program.

18. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It’s love at first sight for Mtundu and his new giraffe family after long voyage across the Tasman
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...n/news-story/c2c50d314a6b91639cd7b190eddab10a
    AFTER a shy start, Mtundu the giraffe who stopped at Port Botany on his way from Auckland to Mogo Zoo on the south coast, has met his new family.

The 16-month-old got to know his potential new girlfriend Binti, aged four, who is a pure breed Rothschild giraffe, last week following 30 days of quarantine and health checks.

Operational manager Rob Clifford said Mtundu, who was brought to NSW as part of the Australasian zoos’ breeding program, was doing well.

“It’s like he’s always been there,” he said. “He is settling in and doing everything we want him to do, such as moving in and out of the house, eating and drinking.”
    Mtundu, a 500kg male giraffe, made headlines when he arrived at DP World at Port Botany after leaving his mum, Kiraka, and dad, Zabulu, at Auckland Zoo.

He embarked on the three day sea voyage accompanied by the zoo’s Pridelands team leader Nat Sullivan and vet, Dr Melanie Leech in a purpose-built crate aboard a 42,000 ton Hamburg Sud vessel Hammonia Galacia as part of a carefully orchestrated operation.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is this true: Binti a pure Rothschild's giraffe. And what then is Mtundu - a hybrid or a pure-bred -?

Last edited: 21 Apr 2017
  20. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Mtundu's father was pure Rothschild, but I think his mother was hybrid.