Join our zoo community

Mogo Wildlife Park Mogo Zoo News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jet, 11 Nov 2011.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes, Binti is "pure-bred Rothschild's" (although is descended from the Orana line which originated in Canada, and hence is technically "retic/roth").

Mtundu's father was bred at Orana so is also "pure", while her mother was bred at Dubbo and is generic.

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Mogo have announced they will be getting Orangutans in the near future. They'll be renovating the gorilla enclosure for Orangs, and building a new enclosure for the gorillas nearby.

:p

Hix

3. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow Hix, thats great news. Everytime I think of Mogo zoo I always start singing "from little things, big thing grow."

4. Hix

@boof - have you moved? I just noticed your location has changed - when did this happen?

Hix

5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm guessing these orangutans are still Jantan and Willow from Taronga Zoo.

Taronga Zoo have received a large number of negative reviews on Facebook lately, many from customers complaining at the lack of high profile species on display compared to "back in the day".

The absence of the lions and tigers (both due to return) has been keenly felt and many are missing the snow leopards (still don't understand why these were phased out). I understand their bear collection isn't what it used to be either and they no longer have leopard seals, tapir or hyena.

6. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

G'day Hix. I moved about 4 months ago. Great little town. Have you been chasing shearwaters?

7. Hix

Yeah, one has arrived on the island, but is only seen at night for about 45 minutes. Very difficult to get a half-decent photo! The ones you've probably seen were only posted for identification purposes. And I finally got a half-decent image of a Christmas Island Swiftlet too!

Hix

boof likes this.
  8. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Taronga Zoo have received a large number of negative reviews on Facebook lately, many from customers complaining at the lack of high profile species on display compared to "back in the day".

There has been a trend within Taronga zoo to reduce the number of species and animal phase outs held there, I feel upper management want to focus more with things like Theatre's and muti million dollar hotels than animals and exhibits there. It has had many people visiting who are complaining about lack of animals. I believe this is only going to get worse before it gets any better under the present culture there! The interest shown only a few years ago to import more Bongo, Impala and Sable antelopes appear long gone. My money these days are on the smaller private zoos around the country who are more focused on exhibiting and breeding and doing a much better job of it!

boof likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Altina has outdone themselves with the Maned Wolf after the main zoos essentially gave up on this species. I believe thanks to their achievements with breeding this species, 8 zoos in the region now hold Maned Wolves, including Adelaide Zoo.

Zorro likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

Doesn't sound like they know their market. People go to a zoo to see zoo animals, not visit theatres, walk high ropes and stay in overpriced hotels. Some might argue that the everyday visitor (as oppose to those interested in zoos/conservation) would be interested in these things but there are many reviews which say different.

11. Zorro

I believe after following zoos for many years one of the main problems with 'most"of the big Australian zoos is they are government run (Adelaide zoo is run by a society) which seem to hire 'business people" who are not really "animal people" who then hire consultants who then advise zoo management the way forward. The trend in resent years to down size animals species and the on/off again stop and starts with one species then another does not boy well for the regions collections. In the near future even more species will be lost in the regions animal collections, there appears to have been little forward thinking outside the box. My own view is zoos in New Zealand do a better job than in Aussie also some of the smaller regional zoos here are doing a better job than the state run zoos, a case in point is the Maned wolfs as many would know an endangered species that needs some captive breeding, when the main zoo holding the species lost interest they were taken up by a small regional zoo and they have looked back, I believe they have bred at least 26 so far with a number being sent to other regional zoos. Also they have imported new bloodlines for this breeding program, I take my hat off to them. This is what our Big guys should be doing but appear to have lost the will or their way. I have heard some of our big guns are scared of the animal rights groups hence another reason for not showing live animals the "theatre" appears to some as a better option and less live collections, This is my view, if some dont agree that ok.

12. Zoofan15

That's a good point as does unfortunately seem to be the case. There really does seem to be a lack of cooperation between the zoos and an absence of long term thinking (ie. exporting valuable hippos and condors to zoos outside the region, when it's not possible to import more). New Zealand is possibly doing better than Australia, Wellington Zoo has recently acquired caracal, but we too have lost a lot of species recently (Chacma baboon, Temminck's Golden cat etc.).

The diversity seen in species lists held by the main zoos in Australia and New Zealand today are embarrassing compared to what they were in the early 90s and I agree it's only going to get worse in time.

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. Zorro

One of the most progressive zoos in the country!

15. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was just reading up on the Orangutan enclosure to see if there was any news on the development and found an interesting article that talks about Mogo receiving a new breeding male gorilla.

The Beagle - Eurobodalla on-line newsThe Beagle - Eurobodalla on-line news

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

From the photos it looks like they are redeveloping the old tapir exhibit to form the second ape exhibit. From memory the gorillas will go into the new one and the orangs will get the old one?

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Presumably they will then have two 'groups' -or pairs of Gorillas as Kisabu is still alive, so the 'new breeding male' would presumably be for his daughter? And can anyone hazard a guess as to which male this might be- one already in the region or from outside?

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pertinax, most likely it will be co-consulted by the ZAA with the EEP Gorilla as most gorillas are on loan from the European region. Ideally, Mogo would need more than 1 "breeding" female for a family group. I am hoping some new females will come to Australia and some of the current offspring go back across the ponds.

19. Zoofan15

Creating two groups would require at least one more female (which has not yet been announced as in Mogo Zoo's plans) as females dislike being kept in 1.1 pairs.

In my opinion, the best way to go is to send Kriba (1979) and Kipenzi (2011) to join Melbounre's group including Kriba's other daughter Kimya (2005). Kriba could join as a non breeding female and Kipenzi as a breeding female.

Yuska would likely dislike living with Kriba and her two daughters (as she would be excluded) so she could then transfer to Mogo to live with Kibabu and G-Anne (a familiar face).

Kibabu is 40 years old and likely to pass away in the next 5 years. Upon his death, Ganyeka (G-Anne's son) could then be imported from Weribee as a breeding male, with one or two more breeding females added to Mogo's troop, which will include non breeding females, G-Anne and Yuska (if still alive). The new breeding females could be imported from overseas as @Kifaru Bwana suggested.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do hope they would keep the group around Kibabu and the older non-reproductive females G-Anne and Yuska intact. All other suggestions for exchanges are welcomed. I am quite sure we are all going to be surprised at how it will pan out though!

First and foremost: I am so glad that Mogo Zoo is entering into the fray with 2 groups and one of those being a breeding family group!