Join our zoo community

Mogo Wildlife Park Mogo Zoo News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jet, 11 Nov 2011.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I guess I'll be the one to point out then, that Mogo has announced nothing. This is all from an article in a magazine, the Mogo Zoo's version of which (on their website) specifically does not mention a "new breeding male gorilla" at all.

The current gorilla enclosure is going to be used for the two hybrid orangutans from Taronga. They are building a new enclosure for the gorillas. That's all they have said.

I'm not saying anything is or isn't happening with regards to a new gorilla because I don't know, but the mention in the article seems to have been turned in this thread into an actual announcement of plans by Mogo (which it isn't) and then further there has been a query as to whether they could house two groups suddenly jumping to a definite (which is entirely baseless).

MRJ likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Chlidonias, thanks for pointing this one out and for going along with it.

Just - really then - the article highlighted in posting #61 seems highly suggestive. Alas, another piece of non ... real fake ... news then ....

(which does not make me a friend nor supporter of a certain Pres. of the US Virgin Islands)!

3. Chlidonias

no, that's not what I'm saying.

It may be factual. Or it may be a misunderstanding on the part of the person writing the article. I don't know - nobody here knows.

My point is that it is not something upon which assertive statements can be built. As is often the case (especially in the Australia/New Zealand forums), an unsupported line in an article - or even sometimes a blind comment unconnected to anything - is within the space of a few posts given an entire concrete footing based on no supporting evidence.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its repeated twice, alongside the comment about the two Orangutans which afaik is certainly fact. So I think they must have been told of this intention rather than making it up or confused reporting. But I agree it isn't clear exactly what the future plans are. If they do get a 'new breeding male' for whatever grouping they plan for the future, then I hope they give Ganyeki from Werribee a try. His mother GAnn is already at Mogo but she has few other relatives and none in Australia.

5. Chlidonias

yes, but it is literally the exact same sentence repeated twice, which doesn't make it twice as likely ;)

The article was published only a few days after Mogo themselves put a similar release on their own website, and that they did not include any mention of it suggests it is either a mistake or (if true) perhaps not entirely confirmed as happening.

I could easily see a generalised comment about a new gorilla enclosure and breeding in the future (just as examples) becoming "a new breeding male".

In any case, as I said, it may be true or it may not. I certainly don't want anyone to think I'm saying it isn't true. I want to make that perfectly clear. I just get a bit annoyed with the complex stories which sometimes get built up around insubstantial details on Zoochat and presented as facts.

6. Pertinax

That is certainly very possible. Its a 'wait and see' situation until the Zoo itself says more I guess.;)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A strong possiblity of course, like @Chlidonias said, is that it refers to a breeding group in the future. I.e. after Kibabu's death. I'd be surprised if he lived more than 2-5 more years given the life expectancy of silverbacks so a new male could indeed be on the plans for when he passes away and a breeding group started. Kipenzi (2011) is only 6 years old so could comfortably spend another 4 years in this non breeding situation, though I still prefer the idea of sending her (and Kriba) to Melbourne.

8. Pertinax

I think you may have it there. But more males (at least the non-stressed ones) are living well into their fifties nowadays so Kibabu may go on for quite some time yet. But I could see them wanting to establish a breeding group after he goes, possibly with Kipenzi and another younger female or two and that 'new breeding male'.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For all and sundry:
    The original August communique from Mogo Zoo only mentioned: "The project will see an alteration and renovation of the current Western lowlands exhibit into an amazing Orangutan facility and adjoining that the construction of a new world class Western Lowlands Gorilla facility".
    LINK: Mogo Zoo Announce New Orangutan and Gorilla Exhibit

The only thing on the animal transfer front that is crystal clear is that male Jantan and female Willow are destined to arrive for the orang exhibit from Taronga. No mention of any other animals arriving at all in there.

10. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

Had a great trip to Mogo today - once again the zoo is in great shape and they keep surprising me with positive updates. Not really any actually new exhibits but a LOT of moving things around and reworking stuff.

- Lots of movement of primates. In addition to the Francois' langurs previously mentioned in this thread (in the old Lar gibbon/spider monkey cage), the squirrel monkeys now occupy the exhibit opposite the otters that used to have golden lion and cotton top tamarins, while a second group of emperor tamarins are where the squirrel monkeys used to be. The squirrel monkeys have access to both sides of that exhibit but there is still a wall separating the two.
    - The binturong is now in the old De Brazza cage (no De Brazzas anymore).
    - The dingo exhibit was empty and a sign said it was being prepared for new occupants. (?)
    - The old meerkat exhibit has been demolished and that part of the zoo opened up further (a small garden is where the exhibit used to be and the path now connects on both sides). The old fennec fox exhibit has been extended around towards the cafe and now holds meerkats. The fennecs have moved to the old binturong exhibit. The red panda exhibit in between now holds radiated tortoises instead.

Additionally I was pleased to see a number of species increasing in numbers (notably giraffes, of which there are now eight). The changes are really positive - almost all of them mean that the species in question have more room than they used to. (I really hope the tigers - the only real remaining offenders - are next.) The zoo certainly appears to be thriving.

The creation of the new gorilla exhibit was well underway. There was also some sort of primate-related construction going on behind the primate islands (towards the road) - not sure what that might be for!

Chlidonias, Kifaru Bwana and Riley like this.
  11. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A rhinoceros has gored a senior zoo keeper at Mogo Zoo

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Silverey Gibbon was born last weekend

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  13. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Thats good about gibbon but any further info?

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Kibaru (I think that’s his name ) the Male silverback gorilla has passed away ;(

15. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

His name is Kibabu ;)

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I knew it had some thing missing in the name :)

Jambo likes this.
  17. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

2 orang-utans arrived yesterday, I believe from Taronga.

18. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Mogo Zoo has welcomed a Zebra foal. In the last couple of months, Darling Downs Zoo, Auckland Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo, National Zoo and Aquarium and Altina (I’m sure there are others) have welcomed successful zebra births- seems to be a zebra boom.:)
    Mogo Zoo

Zorro and Jambo like this.
  19. Pertinax

Seems like a new male Gorilla is coming from Howletts zoo in the UK. His name is Kisane, he's aged about ten and he may be en route as I write this. He's definately going to Oz and so we think it must be to Mogo.

Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s exciting! I agree Mogo is the most likely destination/only destination considering Taronga and Melbourne both have young silverbacks in stable troops and Werribee have a bachelor group. He must be intended as a mate for Kipenzi (aged eight) as Kriba and G-Anne turn 40 this year and are past breeding age. I am a little surprised as I thought Kipenzi would be going to Orana (where a blackback is arriving to head up a breeding troop).

Kisane is 12 years old (born 18/08/2006). He is the first offspring of his mother (born 1998) but has watched her raise two siblings (born 2011 and 2016) so will be familiar with infants. I don’t know much about his father (born 1993) but hopefully he has been a good role model for leadership. Kisane is a distant relative of Kibabu.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2019
    Jambo likes this.