Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Monarto Safari Park News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Patrick Keegan, 5 Jan 2022.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Same here. It’s exciting to have a facility this size within the Australasian region. They’re aiming to create the largest safari experience outside of Africa.

If they abandon their paywall ideas, it’d be even better. If the park truly reaches the size they’re intending, congestion will be limited purely be people’s inability to see the park in one trip.

Monarto could publish routes designed for short visits to see highlights to comprehensive visits to see everything. Melbourne Zoo advertise this on their map and they’re just a city zoo.

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I guess having the huge new hotel is part of the plan for guests

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  3. Zoofan15

There’s so much potential for Monarto. I’d love to see them establish a night safari down the line. That would greatly enhance the experience for both those staying overnight - as well as tapping into a market (night attractions) that has very little competition.

If they want to maximise uptake of people staying in the accomodation, it needs to be affordable. Overpricing it like other zoos in the region have done will only see it half full versus a hotel that could be fully booked year round - with visitors spending an extended time at the park.

4. Zorro

Believe there is or was going to be 3 levels of accommodation there!

5. Zoofan15

Current plans are for a five star luxury resort to be completed in 2023 as well as glamping facilities. Unfortunately neither suggest they’re going to be affordable, so pretty much the same deal as the other zoo in the region that offers overnight accomodation.

It’s not something I’d ever justify doing when you can eat and sleep offsite for a fraction of the price and put that money towards doing an encounter that would give you a better up close experience.

upload_2022-10-31_18-13-28.jpeg

Tigergal, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  6. Zorro

I like the way they have the Hippos front and centre. If they do add some imported antelopes as was mentioned by a member resently like Impala and Sable antelopes in a set of this standard its going to leave other open range zoos within the region wanting!

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  7. Zoofan15

It’ll be interesting to see how they do integrate it all as I can guarantee the Southern white rhinoceros and Common hippopotamus won’t be sharing an exhibit space - but they’ll surely be keen to showcase these high profile species nonetheless - with endless options for mixed species exhibits.

Patrick Keegan, Swanson02 and Zorro like this.
  8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t think the Hippo would be grouped with any species (besides a bird species like Cape Barren geese).

Many years ago Werribee attempted to integrate Waterbuck with their hippos, but that never worked out. Hippos are a very territorial species and don’t really do well with other, similar sized animals.

9. Zorro

With the cherry on the cake being an large flamingo exhibit :D

10. Zoofan15

I am aware of this. :p I was referring to the endless possibilities for creating mixed species exhibits (not necessarily hippopotamus).

The concept art show giraffe in the background, which could be mixed with zebra, antelope etc.

Southern white rhinoceros seem to do well with Lowland nyala and Thompson’s gazelle. Some zoos have trailed zebra, but there’s been aggression from both sides.

A landscape with hidden barriers would be my preferred to showcase an integrated Savannah - accomodating Common hippopotamus, Southern white rhinoceros and giraffe in three adjacent exhibits.

Tigergal, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  12. Zorro

I seem to recall a zoo in Sweden (I believe) back in the day that had a mix of elephants hippos and rhinos ect in their African savanna exhibit with some interesting interactions between the different species.

13. Zoofan15

Boras Djurpark has held African elephant with Cape buffalo, Grant’s zebra, Sable antelope, Blesbok, Common eland, Giraffe, Ostrich and Helmeted guineafowl

Beekse Bergen has held African elephants with Hamadryas baboon, which was a fascinating combination.

Not sure if Monarto Zoo will ever acquire African elephants down the line, but there’s some interesting options if they do.

14. Zorro

The zoo which I now can not recall had problems I believe with the hippos not liking other species which I believe were the elephants and or rhinos approaching the water holes which caused some issues, I believe some species were later taken out of the mix.

15. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

How closely related is Inkosi to Monarto's breeding herd? Less than Mzuri I assume?

I believe the national zoo of Cuba has White rhinos, African elephants, Hippos, and a plethora of other species all mixed in what seems a largeish exhibit. Now whether this combination has been successful I don't know but they seem quite calm in close proximity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Zoofan15

I’d expect either combination involving hippopotamus to eventuate in conflict tbh. Elephants (especially bulls) would retaliate and there’d be a high potential for injury to all concerned.

I maintain the best solution is adjacent exhibits with invisible barriers - given the illusion of an integrated Savannah without aggressive species physically mixing.

17. Zorro

I am impressed. First thing that comes to mind is how big is this exhibit, how long has this been existed for and the number of species included. :D:cool:
    I really need to research this place!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 1 Nov 2022
  18. Zoofan15

They all descend from Orana’s original ”Rothschild’s” pair named Jaffa and Celeste. They produced several offspring including Sarita, Nathalie, Misha and Anthony.

Misha and Anthony produced Makulu, who sired Tambo - Tambo was Monarto’s breeding bull for many years and still has daughters in the breeding herd.

Sarita gave birth to Zabulu, who sired Forrest, who sired Scarlett (one of the cows in Monarto’s breeding herd).

Nathalie gave birth to Ijuma, who sired Manzi at Mogo Zoo. Manzi gave birth to Mzuri (current breeding bull at Monarto).

Nathalie gave birth to Zuri, who gave birth to Armani. Armani is the sire of Inkosi (new breeding bull at Monarto).

When you consider Jaffa and Celeste were already inbred upon import, we REALLY need new genetics in the region.

19. Zorro

I am just wondering if it would be worth while for some of our zoos to import Rothschild bulls that are no longer needed in overseas herds to introduce into our mainstream giraffe population?

20. Zoofan15

That could be a good way to establish a breeding population as bulls can easily cover the cows in a breeding herd for their lifespan of 20-25 years and during this time, Rothschild’s cows (albeit limited in availability) could be imported to sub in for generic cows as they pass or are transferred out.

Europe would be the best source for purebred Rothschild’s giraffe.