Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Monarto Zoo Masterplan

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 20 Feb 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Today, Zoos South Australia has released its masterplan for both Adelaide and Monarto Zoos. And its fairly impressive (and all still very hypothetical of course).

It can be downloaded as a PDF here: Zoos SA Master Plan - Zoos SA
    There is also a section on that page that allows feedback to be given.

The Masterplan calls for significant changes to the zoo, including a new main entrance located up near the African carnivore exhibits. The masterplan suggests four precincts and a range of new species:

1. African Savannah
    This is the new entry area of the zoo, and includes the African carnivore, white rhino, giraffe and some antelope exhibits, around the Boma, Waterhole and Windana bus stops. These will remain, although new exhibits will be added and changes will be made to each. A freeflight bird show will be added near the new visitors centre. Meerkats and servals will be added to Windana, and a new "predator experience" built into the lion exhibit, where a tunnel takes visitors into a cage, from where they can see lions around and above them. Fennec fox, colobus, ostrich, nyala and chameleon to the Waterhole. Boma will see white rhino and cheetah mixed together, and an African aviary added.

2. Back from the Brink
    The pre-exisitng visitors centre and surrounding exhibits, including chimpanzee, barbary sheep, addax, oryx, Przewalski's horse, bison and black rhino, this area will focus on the zoos international conservation efforts. New species may include gorilla, maned wolf and plains zebra, exhibited around a new "black rhino" stop. The existing visitors centre to be renovated into a "primate central" stop, for the chimps, and new arrivals such as hamadryas baboon and lemurs. This area will be designed more for walking visitors.

3. Outback Australia
    A completey new precinct, built around the Bretag Homestead. Exhibits for a range of native animals, including dingo, Tasmanian devil, echidna, wallabies, reptiles and birds. A children's zoo is also planned for here.

4. Wild Africa
    Totally new extension into undeveloped areas. Will feature a number of additional "paid" experiences, including accommodation, a walk-through Madagascan exhibit for ring-tailed lemurs, and a large new savannah exhibit, with small group tours through herds of giraffe, eland, bongo, nyala, white rhino, oryx, addax, Barbary sheep, zebra, ostrich and potentially (and unlikely) African elephants.

Overall, a number of smaller species will be added, boosting the species list somewhat, and making the zoo into an all-day attraction. It looks like they have looked closely at San Diego Zoo Safari Park (and elsewhere) for inspiration. It does look good though, and I hope it works well. Interesting to see no indication of even considering Asian elephants out there, but perhaps the open, hot and dry environment might not make this the best location for this species.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Why do you see African elephants as being unlikely? Is there a law against bringing them into Australia that would need to be changed?

3. zooboy28

Certainly African Elephants should do well in Monarto's climate. The legal side should be straightforward i think (although any elephant import will face strong opposition from AR groups). The main issue is that Australasia is attempting to work with Asian elephants only, and Africans are phase out and represented by just one animal. So Monarto would have to go it alone with Africans, which would make it difficult and expensive to maintain a healthy breeding herd (which is presumably what they want). If they could bring a group in I would love to see that, but I don't know how they will do with surplus males, etc. etc.

The Masterplan states that:

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Africa elephant or not, this master plan looks fantastic! I'm interested to see what it will do to and for this zoo. Monarto looks like an extremely good zoo, like a San Diego Zoo Safari Park of Australia. There are parts of the masterplan I don't understand, such as it said they are getting grant's zebra to serve as substitute for grevy's. Are there any Grevy's in Australia? Also Africans or not, I can't see a nearly 2500 acres zoo not having elephants in all that space.

5. zooboy28

Monarto is a bit like the San Diego Safari Park, but not on the same scale. It is a very good zoo though.

There are no Grevy's in Australia, and that is unlikely to change.

I think/hope Asian elephants at Monarto is inevitable, but it would be a very long term thing, and require a lot of money. Give it 20 years and it might be possible.

6. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Of course Monato did once have Asian Elephants - Adelaide sent its last female there but she didn't live long after the move. AFAIK, the dry moated enclosure is still there but I forget what is housed there now

7. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe this area now houses black rhinoceros.

8. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

9. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The very first animal to move over to the new Wild Africa precinct is Ibutho the White rhino, with another 30 White rhino expected in the future is really going to make this exhibit worth seeing I believe at 500 hectares one of the largest if not the largest exbihit in the country.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A link to the announcement (from Monarto’s facebook) is here:

Monarto Zoo

Zoofan15 and Zorro like this.
  11. Zorro

Thank you Jambo

12. Zorro

I am liking the image of the River Hippos on the master plan there should be enough room for them and other large species in a 500 Hectare area!

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just to add to this old thread - here is the map of the current zoo, including the new visitors centre at the northern end - while also showing the new Wild Africa expansion to the east.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the new expansion now has the eastern most edge of the zoo only 3.5km from my dad's house in Murray Bridge! Although to be fair, the new visitors centre is actually more like 9km away by road.

14. Zorro

Did anyone have an idea as to when the zoo might begin building the new Hippo accomodation and yards?

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  15. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Should be under construction as we speak; Brindabella and Pansy are due to arrive this year. The waterholes are complete as far as i'm aware, it's just a matter of building the bts housing/yards.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. Zorro

Thanks, I knew the water holes were completed for some time also that the hippos were due to move some time this year I was trying to find out when the building starts

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You're correct. @Swanson02 reported in July 2022 that the waterhole was complete and had been test filled. With this in mind I'd imagine construction on supporting infrastructure is well underway and should be complete by mid-year.

A regular visitor may be able to provide a more concrete timeline, but completion dates are at best a rough estimate and rarely met.