Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Monarto Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 22 Jan 2016.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

starting off with a quick snippet from the email newsletter which just got sent out:

The four elands were born at the very end of 2015. Photo of all four together here: https://www.facebook.com/MonartoZoo...558331537038/1023106521082210/?type=3&theater

The waterbuck calf has a photo here: https://www.facebook.com/MonartoZoo...558331537038/1024169684309227/?type=3&theater

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Male (pure) Rothschild's giraffe Tambo has been introduced into the female herd for breeding.

3. Jabiru96

In regards to chimp paternity, apparently Sandali is the father of baby Enzi in addition to Zuri.

4. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, this is what was said at the keeper talk I went to yesterday. Sandali also fathered the late Boon. He's formed something of an alliance with the younger adult female, Galatea, whose contraceptive implant seems to be losing its effectiveness. I would not be surprised if Sandali ends up fathering an infant with her in the next couple of years.

5. Jabiru96

6. Jabiru96

Three barbary sheep lambs have been born recently.

7. Jabiru96

Four bison calves have been born so far this year.

8. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Four African Hunting Dogs were born on the 13 January 2016 to Jengo and Kibi. They are the first successful litter since 2006.
    Puppy love at Monarto Zoo - Monarto Zoo

9. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

I went to Monarto on Monday, and saw the 4 pups. Also happy to note many young hoofstock born in the last 6 months including blackbuck, bison, eland, addax and a waterbuck.

10. Jabiru96

A male addax has been born.

11. Jabiru96

A female has also been born:

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

12. Jabiru96

He has re-joined the bachelor herd (after hopefully successfully mating with the females).

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I got an email from Zoos SA today, asking for money. I don't understand what the money is for however (conservation of wild lions, or management of Monarto's lions), the email is very unclear....?

Request repeated here: Levi and Leroy?s Legacy - Zoos SA

14. Jabiru96

The money is to start a new lion breeding program (although what the money is to be used for i'm not sure): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRkHlNnM2rs

15. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

The video was good (nice shots), but the information still vague - surely the only thing they need is a new male lion, which is probably relatively easy to obtain. If they are after more housing for subgroups or the new viewing areas in the Master Plan they should say that.

16. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was wondering recently where Monarto Zoo were headed with their lion pride, because, as mentioned above, they need a new breeding male since the males they have are the offspring of four related lionesses.

I'm not sure what the current pride set up is, but last time I checked it was the five adult lionesses and five cubs in one group, and Inkosi in another. Assuming this is still the case, or the male cubs have since been merged with Inkosi to form a coalition, then maybe they require an additional enclosure to fascilitate introductions of a new male to the female pride.

The four founder lionesses are born in 2004, so unless a male is imported in the next few months, I'd say it's likely breeding will be focussed on Kiamba's two daughters born in 2011 and 2013, and Tiombe's two daughters born in 2013.

Of the four original lioness, Tiombe was chosen to breed as she had the most placid nature, and Kiamba as the other three lioness were half-sisters, and as the cousin who came from a different zoo, she was on the outside socially.

17. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some updates from a visit to Monarto today

- An exhibit is under construction across from the meerkats to house African porcupines. Completion date was not yet known. Also part of this development will be a playground.
    - Red deer are now mixed in with the fallow deer and blackbuck. They arrived in April.
    - Monarto now houses only one bongo following the death of the other.
    - Lion fundraiser was in aid of new developments which are required to allow breeding and management of the 3 males and 8 females due to their social dynamic. At present the 8 females are managed as one group. 2 males as another with a single male on his own.

Information from the annual report

- 5 bilbies were born over the past year.
    - Visitation last year was 133,699 people an increase of 8% of the previous year.

18. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which bongo died? Neither were old, and the younger of the two only just recently arrived at the zoo. Very sad. I am very excited about the porcupine development.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

people interested in exotic mammals in the country may note that there are currently no porcupines in Australia, so this is good news. (Until a few years ago only capybara and mara were able to be imported, then Brazilian agouti were added, and then South African porcupines).

20. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have any other zoos in the region shown an interest in crested porkies? Would work well for most savannah exhibits, and breed like crazy.

boof likes this.