Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Monarto Zoo, South Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by duncanrm, 1 Jan 2004.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoogirl,

Can you confirm a couple of things for all of us?

1) When is the chimpanzee exhibit opening and where are all them chimps coming from?
    2) What this rumour of hamadryas out and Komodo dragons in at Adelaide? Monarto in the pic there?
    3) Can you finally reveal the identity of the 2 young male southern black rhinos at Monarto for us?
    4) Any breeding with the southern white rhinos lately?

Cool stuff if you can answer all or any 3 ... ;)

K.B.

2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

with the cancellation of the tour bus does this mean that there is lots of walking involved to see anything?

3. SilverbackApes

SilverbackApes Well-Known Member

I don't think so, you can still catch the Zu-loop buses from place to place

4. SilverbackApes

SilverbackApes Well-Known Member

I can answer part of 1) and 3)

1) I don't know when its opening but the chimps are a male from Adelaide Zoo (Tsotsi), a male from Taronga Zoo (Sandali, currently at Adelaide), two males from Wellington Zoo (Gombe and Boyd) and four females from Burgers Zoo (Zaira, Zombi, Zwala, Galatea). I believe the males are all coming first.
    3)The black rhinos are from Western Plains Zoo, named Induna (aged around 6) and Sentwali (aged around 5)

Hope this helps

5. Zoogirl

Zoogirl Member

There has been an attempt with some white rhino breeding of late. He has had a go but I don't know if it has been successful yet as it is hard to tell with rhino in the early months. I'll let you know if I hear of any rumors of the pitter patter if large feet.:D

6. corinne

corinne Member

I might be able to help with these two...

Tsotsi and Sandali are currently off-limits in the Animal Health Centre at Adelaide Zoo, and introductions have been pretty energetic (as you would imagine) but staff are happy with the progress, especially considering Tsotsi hasn't seen another male chimp since his father died - which was in the 80s I think?? Once Tsotsi and Sandali are comfortable with each other then the two NZ males will be brought over, and then once those 4 males are settled then 4 NZ females will join them. From what I've been told by staff, the timing is being completely dictated by the speed of the chimp introductions, rather than any building constraints (although the exhibit is still being finished). The new exhibit opening has been delayed again, and the latest date I heard on the weekend is the July school holidays.

The only place I've heard about Komodo dragons being put into the baboon exhibit is on this forum. I know that Komodo dragons are on the wishlist for the SE Asia area of the zoo, but I haven't ever heard of any animals being obtained. With all the construction that is happening over the two sites at the moment, I would be suprised if there would be any new baboon exhibit in the near future.

That said, I didn't know about the pandas until it was announced to the press (and I'm a vollie at Adelaide) :eek:

7. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

The komodo dragon exhibit, extra island and dhole exhibit are all on the SEAR part 2 plan