Join our zoo community

Monk parakeet in Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by vogelcommando, 30 Oct 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I'm stranged that this is taken as a new. Monk parakeets are here since many many years ago. In my city was one of the commonest birds, together with magpies and starlings. Until recently, at least. In last 2-3 years they became much rarer, due to a campaing of destruction of the nests. This year I saw them a couple of times, but in the 2000' decade, I was used to see them almost every day. Most people hate them because it's very conspicuous (because it live in cities, is brightly coloured, noisy, make big nests and it's a parrot, one of the few birds that average people know), but there are tons of much worst invasive species that people don't concern about. Actually I liked the presence of monk parakeets here, they do not harm nature as they're restricted to cities, they don't outcompete sparrows for nesting places as it's said sometimes, just the contrary, they provide nesting sites in their abandoned communal nests... the wind breaks much more branches than the weight of the nests do, and the parrots are pacific eaters of the urban tree fruits, keeping the city clean.