Join our zoo community

Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre Monkey World news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Mar 2019.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new Orangutan is due to join the nursery group. Bornean male, Hujan (born June 2017) is due to be transferred from Krefeld later this month. He was handreared after his mother fell ill. Unfortunately attempts to integrate him with the group at Krefeld have failed, hence the move.

TNT, pipaluk, Jambo and 1 other person like this.
  2. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Baby Red-bellied Guenon born at Monkey World in Dorset :)

IZES

Dassie rat, drill, devilfish and 4 others like this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited Monkey World for the first time yesterday. I was impressed by the high standard of care for the animals and by the friendly and helpful attitude of the staff and the volunteers. Of course Monkey World is not a traditional zoo, which makes it harder to evaluate. The outdoor enclosures are spacious and well furnished; few of them are aesthetically pleasing to humans, but I think the animals really like them. It was a particular pleasure to see the 3 groups of woolly monkeys doing so well: I don't think I have ever seen such happy, healthy woollies. The baby red-bellied guenon is also doing well, although it's a proper 'little monkey' (as my mother would have said in a disapproving tone). I was also impressed by the tightrope walking skills of big Gordon the orang on the top circuit of firehose. However my favourites were the stump-tailed macacques, a species I haven't seen for many years, I love their wise old faces and the way each individual is so different from the others. It was really nice to see these elderly animals enjoying each other's company in their large, well planted enclosure.
    Naturally I took a lot of photos and I hope that a few of the better ones will arrive in our Gallery within the next few days.

4. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bornean orangutan Jin (Hsiao Quai x Gordon) transferred to Wingham Wildlife Park to join Molly from Twycross.

Chimpanzee Bart is now considered to be alpha in what was temporarily Cindy's group after Bart's father Paddy died. Toprish who was rescued from Turkey in 2018 is now fully a member of the group.

Chimpanzee Naree, rescued from Thailand in 2018 is fully integrated into what is now Bryan's group (ex nursery/Sally's group).

A capuchin now called Chook was confiscated from poor conditions in Yorkshire and lives in the small group with Gismo (possibly one of the most psychologically damaged animals they've rescued) and 4 females. She had previously had a companion so has some social skills.

2 marmosets were rescued from a filthy flat in Surrey. How anyone could share a flat with marmosets I do not know.

The young slow loris who had to be hand-reared is female and now called Bobbi Dazzler and is now spending most of her time with the other loris.

In March a female woolly monkey was born, named Enya (Enzo x Pacaja)

Male golden-cheeked gibbon Mikado (who moved to Monkey World from France when his mother died when he was a baby) returned to the park and Zak (Monkey World born Zoey x Jake) replaced him at Parc Animalier de Sainte Croix. It is hoped parent-reared Zak will bond better with Tia-Nang (Monkey World born Peanut x PungYo) who originally went there with Mikado.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2019
    Kifaru Bwana, JamesB and Zia like this.
  5. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not a lot has been posted here, but a new series of Monkey Life is currently on Sky Nature on Sundays.

New Chimp arrived earlier this year from South Africa, can't find her on the website. First few episodes haven't given anymore new information.

6. RedCat09

RedCat09 Member 10+ year member

She was pts in September. She had too many health issues for them to fix.

JamesB likes this.
  7. OrangePerson

The red-bellied guenons have had a second offspring over summer. They now have a boy and a girl.

Dassie rat, FBBird, BeakerUK and 6 others like this.
  8. JamesB

It was reported in last week's Monkey Life about three male Wooly Monkeys moving to Apenhuel. Does anyone know if this went ahead?

9. OrangePerson

I was wrong, 2 girls, I was mislead by the name Biff!

10. OrangePerson

Was that the current series? I thought it sounds familiar but I wonder if it didn't happen, they have just (over the year) made a new, bachelor group of 6 males for the woolly monkeys.

11. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

Always sensible to check the production date of an episode before posting it as current news.

Wouldn't be the first time someone has rushed to add "breaking news" that happened three years ago!

pipaluk likes this.
  12. JamesB

Yes, it was the current series. I'm not completely stupid.

As @OrangePerson posted, they have decided to put together a bachelor group which was shown on last weekends episodes. The series has also covered the Bengal Slow Loris enclosure they have constructed, I assume they are now visible to the public when the collection reopens.

13. Sausagefingers

Sausagefingers Well-Known Member

From the comments on their Facebook page I think the slow loris have been viewable for a while.

JamesB likes this.
  14. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited on the 19 May 2021 and really have nothing more to add to the excellent comments of gentle lemur.

I saw most everything except the Ringtail Lemurs and the Slow Loris. That is to say I did not even see the enclosures. Some of the paths do not obviously lead anywhere and the new capuchin enclosures are easily missed.

A good day out but probably no rush to go back.

15. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You were a busy boy last week... :p

16. JamesB

I went yesterday after not having been for quite a few years. Despite the hot weather had a very enjoyable visit. The park and enclosures are looking fantastic and lots of active primates. It was lovely to see some old and new faces as well as seeing where different groups have moved.

I didn't get to see the Slow Loris, they were doing construction above the enclosure so I think they were in hiding. The lemur walkthrough is still closed but everything else is open.

A new house is being built near the capuchin lodge, I think it will be for the Woolly Monkeys as its next to one of their enclosures. They were also filming for a new series of Monkey Life there too.

I was slightly surprised the park is asking people to wear masks the whole time and will continue to do so from Monday. I understand their concerns for the primate collection, of course.

One question, does anyone know if the Patas Monkey are still there? I thought I saw the back of one going inside in the first enclosure at the entrance. They aren't listed on the website.

Benosaurus and Brum like this.
  17. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Mica the Patas monkey died not that long ago. She was the only Patas monkey (Sissy-Jo, the companion they had brought in for her after she had arrived died a long time ago).

JamesB likes this.
  18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I last visited ( 3 years ago now I think), there was a single Patas in the enclosure you mention, mixed with the red-bellied guenons.

JamesB likes this.
  19. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Further to my previous comment, the single Patas monkey lived in the enclosure by the entrance with George the eldely lemur (who also died not so long ago) with the two red-bellied guenons and subsequently their offspring. She was moved back to the enclosure at the end of the run of marmoset enclosures, where she lived out her final days.

JamesB and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. OrangePerson

Two of the park's original 9 chimps have died during this year, Zoe and Jimmy. There are still 5 of the original arrivals who have now been there just over 34 years - Busta, Micky, Sammy, Beth and Cindy.