Join our zoo community

Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre Monkey World news 2015-2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Feb 2015.

1. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A statement from Facebook says female chimp Kay from Paddy's group has passed away "after almost 23 happy years at the park, chimpanzee Kay has passed away. Kay appeared to be suffering from some kind of paralysis to her lower limbs and closer investigation by our veterinary team revealed a large tumour, we were able to remove it and get Kay back to her bedroom in the pavilions but sadly she did not recover and passed away a short time later. "

2. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Young male woolly monkey Branco transferred to Basel Zoo - it is one of the ones they got from Twycross in 2012. This leaves them with (I think) 18 woolly monkeys, 10 male and 8 female.

Phil, one of the original stump-tailed macaques was pts.

They've had 15 new marmosets this year.

This year it has been good to see the three young Bornean orangutan females Joly (Moscow), Lingga (Paris) and Dinda (MW) integrated into an adult group with male Tuan, and females RoRo and A-mei. Dinda in particular seems very smitten with Tuan (her father) who appears, in orangutan male terms to be a babe magnet. Every female he lives with generally seems to like him, even A-mei is said to be thawing. No dragging women round by the hair necessary for Tuan!

Last edited: 8 Dec 2015
  3. OrangePerson

Dinda the Bornean orang-utan, daughter of Tuan and RoRo, two of the orang-utans originally from Taiwan, has gone to Rostock to join her sister Hsiao Ning, Twycross's Miri and male Sabas.

4. MagpieGoose

Tikko, a young male Chimp and second in charge of Hananya's Group has passed away.

"Very sad news, I’m afraid, chimpanzee Tikko passed away suddenly on Wednesday leaving us all completely shocked and stunned.
    Tikko was an extremely fit, male chimpanzee in the prime of his life, 2nd in charge to Hananya’s troop of 20, he was well liked by everyone in the group"

5. MagpieGoose

Young male Bornean Orang Kai and females Lingga and Joly were moved to Rio Safari in Spain on Tuesday.

I visited a couple of weeks back a couple of notes:

- A new elderly female Saki Monkey called Chloe arrived from France to join elderly male

- The bachelor group of chimps has taken a change in leadership from male Butch to ex-Windsor siblings Buxom and Jestah. Butch is still very high-ranking

- Dominant male Wooly Monkey Oaska sadly passed away, other male Chippy has take over his former group and Chippy's old group has been taken over by hand-reared male Paulo

-The Patas Monkey and elderly Ring-Tailed Lemur have moved to a new enclosure at the Marmoset Complex by Paddy's Group of Chimpanzee

Will upload some photos soon

6. MagpieGoose

Sadly, female Chimpanzee Hebe in Paddy's Group passed away unexpectedly last week. She was born in 1999 and was the daughter of female Olympia. If anyone watched the Monkey Buissness series they will remember Hebe as she was taken away from her mother to be hand-reared after Olympia's milk run out.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

More sad news today:

It is with much sadness that we have to inform you that Paddy passed away this morning.

It is fair to say that over the past few weeks we had noticed that Paddy seemed quieter than usual and we had arranged for our Chief Vet John Lewis to visit the park next week to take a look at the big man, however this was not to be. Primate Care Staff found Paddy this morning in the back bedrooms and he was gone. We are sure you can all appreciate that everyone at the park is totally devastated by the loss, however we take great comfort from the fact that he passed away peacefully in the pavilions, surrounded by his extended family. Paddy was one of the first chimpanzees to be rescued by Monkey World and arrived when the park in 1987. We estimated that he was born in 1980. Despite our sadness, our priority right now is to ensure the wellbeing of the other chimps in his group.

We would appreciate your compassion, consideration, and sensitivity at what is a very difficult time for all of us at the park and as always adoptive parents will be contacted directly.

8. OrangePerson

This is a huge loss, Paddy was a very important chimp, he'll be greatly missed.

9. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

that is a terrible loss - i do wonder what they will do now

10. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is a true shame :(

11. HoneyDontBadger

HoneyDontBadger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wonder what the guys at MW will do with Paddys group now the great leader has sadly died.

None of the current males in the group seem like leader material.

Is there scope to re-introduce Paco perhaps, a dominant and also laid back type who certianly has leader qualities???

What do you guys think???

HDB

12. ShonenJake13

My guess is they may reintroduce Paco, or possibly even Butch (who was recently kicked from leadership by Jestah in the bachelors). It would have to be a slightly older chimp since Paddy's group is mostly old timers.

13. HoneyDontBadger

I think Jimmy would be a viable option? He was Paddys number 2 for a long time.

I haven't been to the park for a while; how did the takeover go down in the Bachelor Group (peaceful) and has it proved a successful/popular coup by the boys in the group???

My worry with Butch is that although generally a decent chap he can be prone to being a bully and hasn't been in a mixed group for a long time.

Interesting times ahead I think.

14. ShonenJake13

Jimmy can be highly aggressive towards other females, hence (together with his knee injury) his move to the bachelors.

From what I can gather the takeover went fine. Butch is still high-ranking, and Jestah has backing from Buxom so nothing has changed more or less.

I think the most likely candidates for the leadership are Paco or (dare I say it) Ben or Bryan. The only older male candidate available is Butch, and if he isn't chosen one of these three may well be.

Or Busta may become the leader....?

15. HoneyDontBadger

Hiya,
    We think alike

I too thought about Bryan and Ben, both becoming magnificent males.

My worry is their age; will they have the maturity and confidence to dominate some pretty feisty old gals?

I think all things considered Paco is the way to go, let's see.

Thanks for swapping opinions without judgement. I've found this site to have some very patronising and condescending know it alls on here (hence I don't post much)

Thanks ShonenJake13

We

16. MagpieGoose

I think it will be Busta because he was Paddy's second in command. Paco is very high ranking with-in the Bachelor group so I doubt they will move him. If Bart was little older, he would probably take over.

17. HoneyDontBadger

The danger with Busta is that he might not be strong enough to dominate and lead a group.

They might stagnate, or worse become unsettled and unruly.

Time will tell I guess???

18. ShonenJake13

The thing is that with Jestah and Buxom's recent takeover I would think it would be better for the group if an equally riled up male (e.g. Paco) were to be moved. He always was hinting at wanting to become leader, here's the perfect opportunity; his former group :)

19. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would they consider trying to introduce hanayas group with paddys group ? Or perhaps two males from Butch's group Paco and Ben or seamus

20. ShonenJake13

I would hope they don't introduce Hananya and Paddy's groups, since none of the chimpanzee enclosures at Monkey World could fit 35 chimpanzees, and it would be stressful for the older animals from Paddy's group.

Seamus is still too immature to be an alpha male, so I think the bachelors will do him some good.

Ben or Paco would be my bets, but Ben may also be too young to lead so out of your choices the most likely is Paco.