Join our zoo community

Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre Monkey World news 2015-2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Feb 2015.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Although Busta has long been second in command I think the cat amongst the pigeons with the status quo will be Gamba. He is a very ambitious chimp and is over 20 now. He might see this as his opportunity. He is however castrated.

Although Bryan is magnificent I think Sally's is his best option still, his early life affected him very severely, not sure how he'd cope with the hurly burly of a proper group. Although trying to dominate Sally will be a challenge.

From the day he moved from Hananya's group Ben has looked like an alpha in the making but he can still be a soft daft lad too.

I don't think Seamus would ever be alpha material however mature he is, he is small and low ranking. Not sure how he'd get on, moving to the Bachelors he was like the archetypal bully who had the tables turned, completely different to Ben's transition.

Paco certainly has ambitions and the testosterone!

Butch has not been a highly dominant leader for quite a long time, they seem to have got on with the top 4 all being strong but not any one highly dominant.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2016
  2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's highly likely it'll be Paco then if it is an external candidate at all!

3. OrangePerson

Or I could be completely wrong :) Interesting times for the group and the MW team.

4. HoneyDontBadger

HoneyDontBadger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wish Monkey Worlds admin team would do a little more on the website.

No latest news page, very rare updates etc

I'm a little disappointed that there is no tribute, or eulogy, explanation etc for Paddy; he just seems to have had his profile removed from the "Paddy's Group" page.

It would be nice to be kept in the loop as it means a lot to us and you grow attached....

HDB

5. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

i just think they might ship a couple of the batchelor males across

6. HoneyDontBadger

Who would you suggest mate?

You'd have to consider:
    Length of time away from females

All the variables I think suggest Paco, Jimmy and Ben (or a combination????)

7. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was just thinking Paco as he is known to the group plus Ben as ive been reading that they are quite close .

8. HoneyDontBadger

That sounds like a great potential solution.

Let's see what transpires

RIP Paddy; tough act to follow, big shoes to fill

9. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not certain if this has been mentioned before . I was watching some of the Monkey Life repeats recently which featured the large group of capuchins that came from a South American lab . It seems they are all lumped as black-capped capuchins , but there is enormous variation amongst them . Some appear almost black , possibly Sapajus nigritus , whilst others are very pale possibly Sapajus flavius or Sapajus cay . There all are sorts of variations in between.

I am basing the possible identification on the Capuchins plate on Handbook of Mammals of the World .

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most were described as hybrids on arrival

11. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just watched last nights Monkey Life and it stated that the park would soon receive Loren, a female Bornean Orangutan from Moscow Zoo who was born in Aug 2015. The baby is the full-sister to Joly who was also bought over from Moscow to live at Monkey World when she was a year old.

12. Laura McClean

Laura McClean New Member

Recently booked my second visit to MW in May, cannot wait!

13. markymark

markymark Member

Hi, does anybody know what happened with regards to an alpha male in Paddys group? Did number 2 busta step up to the job or as discussed did they move an ambitious male such as Paco from the batchelor boys into Paddys group?

14. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

Marky, not sure if this is true but I was told (by a bigger fan than me) the women are in control until Bryan is mature enough.

Just seen this on Facebook sadly:

Really sad news I'm afraid. We had to say goodbye yesterday to the very lovely Jethro, At the grand old age of 27 he was a firm favourite with us all and the un-disputed "selfie" king of the park. Rest in Peace Jethro, you will be missed by everyone.

15. MagpieGoose

Lucky the Orangutan has now moved from Gordon's group to Tuan's group.

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Loren is now at Monkey World:

Loren's VIP trip to orangutan creche

17. MagpieGoose

Interesting to see that she is being reared by RoRo, even to the extent of nesting together. Hopefully, this means RoRo might be able to raise her own offspring one day. Loren's mother, Lichana had a daughter in between Joly and Loren called Flora-Michael, I wonder if she raised her or the Moscow keepers reared her and didn't send to MW.

18. MagpieGoose

Yep, turns out Flora-Michel was reared by keepers at Moscow and not sent to MW. 2 of her off-spring have been hand-reared at and stayed at Moscow (One was later moved) and 2 have been hand-reared and sent to MW.

Gigit likes this.
  19. OrangePerson

Five slow loris confiscated from the black market in Hong Kong have arrived at the park, 3 males and 2 females. They have made 2 pairs and the third male is intended to be paired with Kan'bulo who went to Shaldon after Monkey World rescured her from the Maldives. Axl, Bruce, Marley, Tina and Nicki.

20. MagpieGoose

A Wooly Monkey has been born to mum 'Paquita'. The baby has been named 'Casiuss'.