Join our zoo community

Monkeys hang around home despite zoo damage

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 7 Feb 2005.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

From abc.net.au: Monkeys hang around home despite zoo damage

2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Rockhampton Zoo

has anyone been to this zoo ?
    I guess it will be pretty small , but what animals do they actually have on display ? And what species of non Australian animals ?

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

chimps at rockhampton....

hmmm.
    rockhampton city zoo. i have no idea exactly what animals are held at this zoo as i have never been there, but i do know that they have two male chimpanzees and i'm pretty sure i remember reading something about mareeba wanting to acquire some baboons from melbourne and rockhampton, so i'm pretty sure they have them too. other than that, who knows? the website has the heading "primate collection" and then goes into discussing their chimps (brothers) behaviours.

if they had other primates id'e have a guess and say they would be either macaques, capuchins or spider monkeys. all these are pretty common in private and small zoos.

oddly, another very small B-grade zoo in new zealand, willowbank wildlife reserve in christchurch, has a father/daughter pair of chimpanzees that are soon to be sent to mogo zoo to create a new chimp colony when the bullen's chimps arrive. this new group should prove very important because it will be made up almost entirely of wild-caught chimps that have never bred before. no doubt their offspring will be much sought after.

just another thing - willowbank claims to have a pair of "gibbons" but doesn't list what species they are. from the photos they look like siamangs but does anyone have anymore info on these animals?

4. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Gibbons at Willowbank

I have never been to this place -- it is outshone by Orana Park .
    However , I have sent them an email asking what species they are .
    Will let you know as soon as I get a response .