Join our zoo community

Montpellier Parc Zoologique Montpellier news

Discussion in 'France' started by Nisha, 14 Jun 2012.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Latest significant births from Montpellier include...

0:0:1 Crowned Lemur (15/5/12)
    0:0:1 Giant Anteater (21/5/12)
    0:0:1 Besia Oryx (26/5/12)
    0:0:1 Onager (6/6/12)

2. Nisha

Hartmanns Zebra have joined the collection in the form of a mare who recently came from Lyon. This makes Montpellier the third holder of this subspecies in France

3. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Recent births include:
    Bongo
    Nyala
    Emperor tamarin
    Giant anteater
    Gold and black howler monkey

Also: The park no longer holds Golden-bellied Managbey

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@epickoala123 which species is the Gold and black howler monkey exactly ?
    Also did the Golden-bellied Mangabey(s?) died or were(was) they(it) send to another collection and if yes - which I hope - which ?

5. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Nisha

Recent arrivals include 0.1 Maned Wolf from Doue La Fontaine and 0.3 Asian Lions from Budapest. The latter being a new species for the park

7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So what is happen with the barbary lions? Are they still there?

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

0.1 Mhorr gazelle born

9. vogelcommando

On Oct 1st, and Oct 4th. each 1 Nyala were born at Montpellier :).

10. vogelcommando

About a month ago a Paca was born at Montpellier :).

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The first cassowary to be hatched in France for 30 years has arrived at the zoo!!!

Actu'Zoo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. vogelcommando

On Jan. 11 a Brazilian porcupine was born at Montpellier, the first for this zoo and the second in France.

13. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, I believe so.

In more momentous news, the zoo has announced a project to renovate the entire zoo, notably constructing 3 new exhibits, of around 1.5 hectares in size (15,000 square metres) housing almost all of the zoo's vast African ungulate collection in mixed exhibits. The exhibits will each house between 6 and 8 species mixed. Other species with join the zoo such as Yellow mongooses, Bat-eared foxes, Sand cats, Blue-crowned laughingthrushes and some unspecified monkey species.

The farm will also get a makeover, with Bonelli's eagles, Little owls, a species of lynx (presumably Eurasian), Iberian wolves, lots of vulture species, Northern bald ibises and Common genets. I was hoping the lynx species might be Iberian due to the distinctly Iberian theme running through the exhibit, but I would think it would just be Eurasian lynx.

The other exhibits in the zoo nearer to the entrance are getting a makeover as well to look nicer and the Madagascar area is also going to be renovated.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After covid-19 crisis, the zoo will received a male asiatic lion from Hungary (the park is not mentionned) to make a breeding group with the three females alreay there.

Zoo de Lunaret : on attend un lion

Kifaru Bwana and amur leopard like this.
  15. amur leopard

I forgot to mention that the project to renovate the zoo is due to finish next year and I have seen a lot of the progress they have made on it. However, due to the covid crisis, I reckon it'll finish closer to late 2022, but let's hope it'll be earlier. The project was paid for by the city and cost 30 million euros.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ned, Kifaru Bwana and amur leopard like this.
  17. amur leopard

Visited the zoo again today (pics to come in the gallery). Here are a few of the things I saw:
    • The zoo is building a rather large complex of 5, maybe six buildings as a new area for their veterinary, educational and maintenance buildings. I also saw a large pool being built outside one of these buildings, so not sure what that might be for.
    • I saw both the young female nyala and the young male Mhorr gazelles. They both seem to be doing well. Got pics of them as well.
    • Didn't see the cassowaries however as the path to their exhibit was closed. The sign said the exhibit was off show because the cassowaries were 'together'. I assume that meant they are being territorial because of the chick.
    • The cheetah complex is finally entirely finished, all eight exhibits of it. It is really quite substantial and looks great, although perhaps one of the exhibits could be donated to another species?
    • Apparently the park welcomed two sets of cheetah triplets last year, bringing the number of cheetahs up to a staggering 10 (I think). I only saw 5 of those, but two of the cubs at the very least seem to be doing well.
    • There are quite a few empty exhibits or repeated species, which I assume is the result of the upcoming works.
    • The oncillas have definitively left the collection, replaced by, of all species, Grey-winged trumpeters (which are free-flying in the Amazonian greenhouse :rolleyes:)
    • Not much development in the collection other than the Barbary sheep and the Somali wild asses seem to have left (at least I didn't see them at any point).

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Was the Somali wild ass and Barbary sheep not meant to be part of the new redevelopment of Zoo Montpellier. They have been a hallmark of the collection for a good number of years ....?

19. Corby93

Corby93 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good news about this zoo

Is there any information about the Madagascar area? Is there any intention of the park to reopen or renew the old lemurs exhibitions?

20. amur leopard

I don't know. Most of the time the Barbary sheep have been in an exhibit next to the bantengs. However, that exhibit seemed entirely empty upon my visit, with only a single female banteng in a kind of isolation paddock in between the banteng and sheep exhibits. I think they'd probably do better in the current bharal exhibit, where they would be mixed with Barbary macaques. However, they weren't there either, so I have no idea where they have gone. The Somali wild asses weren't signed on the enclosure they normally are in, so I'm not sure where they were but I'm sure they haven't left given the zoo has a decent breeding record with them.

I went down to that area. The whole building was closed, but the outdoor exhibits were still on show. The building inside has the indoor lemur exhibits and the tortoise indoors. Only the Radiated and Yellow-footed tortoises have outdoor exhibits, but neither species were out. None of the lemurs were out and the trapdoors between the indoor and outdoor areas were shut. The sign said they were going to renovate the building but the indoors would be closed to the public from now on (which is quite a shame because I did enjoy that area).

The area as a whole seems to be in a general state of disrepair, with mesh looking rusty and ragged and the building very dirty. In their announcements about the zoo's future and the new developments, the zoo said that they would be renovating the lemur exhibits, but I'm not sure whether that would entail expanding the area or just keeping it largely as it is.

At any rate, I hope they do renovate and expand it - the outdoor exhibits are too small for the lemurs and the zoo has lots of space to expand the exhibits into, it's just a matter of having enough money.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.