Join our zoo community

Morality of zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Twinnie, 24 May 2010.

Tags:
  1. Twinnie

Twinnie Member

How moral, ethical and welfare efficient are zoos. Are they just caging animals for the benefit of humans or are they integrating them into human society for a benefit on both sides?
    What views do we have on this?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

another one of your homework assignments?

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Since this is a site for zoo fans, I think it is obvious what views we have.

4. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Morals, Ethics and Welfare

We should continually question the moral, ethical and welfare reasoning behind zoos. If we do not we should not be in this line of work. There are good zoos, bad zoos and those which have completely lost their sense of direction.

5. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

While an interesting topic, if I was a teacher I would not be impressed with you citing an Internet chat side in the Bibliography. There have been many books written on the subject, by schoolars that (as far as I know) have no connection to either side: the Pro-Zoo or Anti-Zoo side (as schoolars should remain neutral). Garry Marvin's book is a classic one springing to mind but I haven't bought many such books though. He is or was a professor at the University of Surrey close to London and I once met him at a zoo history conference in the USA.

Be careful about Internet sources. If you are in school or high school (not sure what it is called in the UK) your teacher may allow you to cite Wikipedia and other online sources but once you get higher in the school system, that may see you get a lesser grade. Forget about it if this is for an undergraduate or graduate project.

Should this not be a school project (your question makes it sound like one) then I would like to point out that the topic has been raised many times here before, in one way or another. For an interesting and relevant recent thread, see for instance:

http://www.zoochat.com/38/will-dolphins-other-marine-mammals-ever-147712/#post314637

6. Twinnie

Twinnie Member

Views aren't really that obvious as most people who are fans of zoos completely avoid the subject.
    and yes it is an assignment as i need to know a range of different views so i thought this would be the best place to post. :D

7. Twinnie

Twinnie Member

i don't require factual information i only whant to know what the opinions are of people who take an interest in or are involved in this industry. This isn't directly for an assignment as it is for a debate and i need to include other peoples opinions as well as my own.

8. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Which side are you on?

9. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have you spoken to “most” zoo fans?
    If you knew how many books I’d read on the subject, how many zoos I’ve visited (Which enables me to have a balanced view of zoos), how long I’ve spent considering the lives of animals I’ve seen living wild compared to those I’ve seen in zoos, and how I took on loads of student debt to study zoology and gain a knowledge of animals based on science (not Beatrix Potter); then you’d know how bloody offensive I find your assumption

10. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which is ......?

11. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Well, so far you have learned that "zoo fans" can be a bristly lot :D

12. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are enclosing [caging] them for the benefit of the animals - not humans.

It is difficult to imagine what "benefit" say a Gorilla or a Lion would achieve by us "integrating them into human society".

This whole thread seems to be a waste of time - Twinnie getting his/her homework done the easy way.

13. Zooplantman

Twinnie, there are several threads here debating zoo ethics, priorities, etc. Why not join in the discussion and create your answer rather then attempting to siphon off other peoples'? You might actually learn something from your assignment

14. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I look at it this way; there are good zoos and bad zoos, so each has to be looked differently.

15. Zooplantman

I look at it this way: another ill mannered person who popped in asking others to do his/her work for them and didn't even bother to say thank-you :mad:

16. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1 thing which you will notice on this forum is that there are lots of strict members and there's varying ideas on the welfare of animals here.

17. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Personally I think there is nothing wrong with helping students out, provided they show at least some curiosity for zoos and wildlife conservation.

But what Twinnie did was to copy a question right out of her home assignment without showing the slightest noticeable interest in what this forum is about. If you look at the question, you will see nothing from the heart, just copy-paste and job done.

It is in fact no different from taking the math homework to a family member who is an engineer or something. You will get an A but will you learn anything?

18. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Good and Bad

You are so right Meaghan. I constantly try to drive this point home.

19. Tig

Tig Well-Known Member

Zoos don't just put animals out on display to be gauked at. They are there so that they can be studied, so they can be bred to be reintroduced, so that people can be inspired to try to conserve them. Any good zoo provides the animal with enough hiding places to feel secure, so they aren't always under the microscope... and they are happy and healthy... I think what zoos and aquariums do is amazing. The people that run these facilities are heroes, and make the world a better place.

20. Twinnie

Twinnie Member

Im sorry if i offended people as this wasn't my intention by posting this thread, i just wanted to know other people opinions and as for the comment on saying i am using this as an easy way to do work i had no intention of using this as a shortcut to get my work done as anyone who has a done any sort of course even a little similar to the one i am taking part in would know that this site would not be accepted as a reference. I only wanted to know for my own interest on the assignment i had been given so if that is wrong of me can some 1 tell how?