Join our zoo community

Morality of zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Twinnie, 24 May 2010.

Tags:
  1. Twinnie

Twinnie Member

I didn't copy and paste this question, actually i'm quite offended that you would say that. The question is posed as it is because i didn't know how else to write it. I am very interested in zoos and if all works out would like to get a job in one in the future so i'm sorry if this seems like i am just using this for homework but i actually not, i just like to know what other people think without just running off the back of someone elses thread, if there is somewhere else i could post stuff like this then please tell me.

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, to give you my point of view, zoos are my passion. There are bad zoos of course and there are good zoos with bad exhibits, but I don’t see that as being a reason to be against zoos. Because I believe animals can be kept contented in captivity, I think the focus should be on improving bad zoos and exhibits, not banning zoos altogether. Just as I think poor hospitals aren’t a reason to ban hospitals.
    Because I believe there is nothing fundamentally wrong with keeping animals in captivity, I don’t believe zoos (good zoos that is) need justification. All well and good if they can help with conservation but I’d still have zoos if they if they had no conservation value.
    Of course I’ve heard many anti-zoo arguments but they don’t tally with my experiences of visiting zoos. What I see, on the whole, are contented animals. If it was otherwise, I'd stop going.

3. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

You can be as offended as you want. I wish I there was a reason for me to say I was sorry, but there isn't so I won't.

Many Zoochat members only finished children's school while many others have doctoral degrees. But no matter how much education we may have, We can all see when a question looks just like a copy-past from an exam or project. It would take a major effort to spot the slightest bit of interest in zoos, animals or conservation in your original question which you used to start the thread with.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Yes, I think Baldur nailed it.
    Your approach was not of a person asking other people for their opinions or even for help. You posted...and then didn't join the conversation...as though you were Googling some inert published matter.
    Why should we enjoy being exploited by you for your own selfish goals?
    Either talk with us or stick to Google.
    I find too many kids doing this and I resent being used.
    And I resent feeling like I don't want to help and answer questions from young people because some have no manners.
    If you are old enough to discuss the morality of zoos, you are old enough to deal with people in a moral manner.

5. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

The key bit of this is "point-of-view". If your point-of-view about animals being happy was wrong, then your whole argument falls apart. This is not a personal dig, just something I've noticed in pretty much every comment on either side of the debate. As such, there does not seem to be any way to actually prove definitively that animals in zoos are happy/unhappy rather than just "That gorilla looks bored" or "That chimp looks like its having fun". Of course, if there in fact isn't then this whole discussion is rather pointless, I doubt a black rhino cares what we think it is thinking after all. It should also, however, start us seriously questioning the morality and ethics of zoos as we do not know if they are right or not and are, therefore, unable to justify them.

6. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just a minor point and not a criticism as such but I didn’t mention the word ‘happy’ I used contented as I think it’s perhaps easier to judge contentment.

7. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

Sorry, that post wasn't aimed at your argument, but a general point on the discussion. I wasn't quoting what you had said, just general statements.