Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park More Construction

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lufcjaguar, 21 Feb 2012.

1. lufcjaguar

lufcjaguar Member

Hi,
    Visited Yorkshire Wildlife Park today and yet again the site is filled with construction workers. I visited loads of times last year and every time you go theres something new to look at. I really think that in a couple years they will be up there with the best. There enclosures are really good with tonnes of space for the animals. Got the first glimpse of the Amur Leopards all be it in the distance as it doesnt open until April. Also saw the new skunk and coati enclosures.
    Does anyone know what they are creating at the beginning oposite the Meerkat and Mongoose Enclosure and at the rear opposite the Viva South America enclosure?
    Also if anyone knows what the plans for the future of the park were, how long they're going to keep this rapid construction up for and species they want to introduce.

Thanks

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

The plan to introduce Giraffes [Unsure of species] this or next year and I believe that the Amur Leopards will be on-show for Easter.

3. lufcjaguar

lufcjaguar Member

Yeah i saw the sign for the Amur Leopards, it said they would be open for the Easter Holidays. The Giraffes would go straight into the african plains i would of though. Its certainly big enough.

4. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where this establishment gets all its money from. They really seem to be throwing everything at!

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

http://www.zoochat.com/1070/queue-entrance-yorkshire-wp-02-05-a-212587/
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/queue-entrance-yorkshire-wp-02-05-a-212586/

:D :D

A few of the bigger projects have been fundraised, but I think an awful lot comes from proving right a lot of people's suspicions that there's a long-neglected market for a 'proper' zoo in South Yorkshire. :)

They also seem very good at getting the most value for money out of their construction.

6. Jordan-Jaguar97

I believe there building a separate enclosure for the Giraffes.

7. lufcjaguar

lufcjaguar Member

its certainly intresting watching it develop month by month. Did think the same about the finances. Someones obviously backing them.

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Very much an advantage when one of the main investors in the park owns a construction firm,and needs something to keep staff busy over the quiet winter period!

9. Anu

Anu Member

They have anteaters on the cards at some point (I had to design an enclosure for them as part of an interview and they where saying about the enclosure they where designing for when theirs arrive)

10. lufcjaguar

lufcjaguar Member

Sounds good, would love to see Anteaters at the wildlife park. They were starting something up near the Viva south america zone today maybe this could be it. Someone said it may be a cafe but not sure.

11. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They also seem very good at getting the most out of their publicity! I mean this in a good way :) just a coincidence that Vlad & Sayan got together in time for Valentine's day?

The whole lion thing brought in far more visitors than expected.

I flew jet2 the other week and was surprised to see they still apparently give a contribution from the sale of lions on board to the YWP lions.

12. lufcjaguar

lufcjaguar Member

Does seem to be very well run. Think there website could do with an upgrade especially when the park grows. Nots as user friendly as most the other zoo websites.

13. AmurMan

AmurMan New Member

I was one of the students from Doncaster College based at the park at the time Brockholes Farm closed (Nov 2008) and YWP opened (April 2009) and I remember the directors telling us the ''whole plan''. They had divided their plan into phases. Phase 1 being the Lions and so on so forth. We were told that in 5 years time the whole site would be unrecognisable!

Reading the notes I made at the time we were told about their hope to get rhinoceroses, penguins, seals and gorillas in the long run, while just settling for getting the park established to begin with.

14. camel leopard

camel leopard Well-Known Member

Can the proposed species list still be seen with the master plan does anyone know?

15. OrangePerson

It's a triumph of flash over content! Doesn't work on iPhones etc which is surely missing a trick currently. It's as though someone was determined to do it like that and to hell with usability.

16. max

max Well-Known Member

Just been trawling through the planning applications:

11/02798/FUL | Change of use of land to Wildlife Park including retention of adventure playground, squirrel monkey enclosure, South American experience enclosure and change of use existing dwelling to two self contained units and office. Change of us

Click on "view associated documents"

There are plans for the new play barn which is already on the park map due winter 2012/13 - the plans mention a baboon enclosure at the rear.
    Ant eaters are mentioned specifically and look to be between the new South American restaruant and the SA viva.
    The latest plans for the overall park (phase 1 & 2) now features a bear display - no details - but I'd not seen bears mentioned before.

17. OrangePerson

They mentioned wanting to bring the bears from the same zoo the lions came from at the time they first visited. Not really heard them mentioned since.

18. lufcjaguar

lufcjaguar Member

Really is starting to take shape, there also getting the visiter numbers to justify the money spent now. I went through the school holidays with the wife and the carpark was full all the way back, first time id seen that. It would be intresting to know how much land they actually own as to how far they really could develop things. The amur leopard enclosure is fantastic great veiws top and bottom. The viewing tower is been encorparated into girafe veiwing with the looks of it aswel. Ive not been for two weeks now must be due a visit lol.

19. johnstoni.

johnstoni. Well-Known Member

If the squirrel monkeys don't do well in the walkthrough, I hope YWP will relocate them to some of their woodland, I don't understand the logic of placing monkeys in a field when their lemur walkthrough is amongst the trees.

20. Jordan-Jaguar97

Thanks for the link - I do like the idea of a Giant anteater enclosure located next to the SA Viva/Restaurant, it'll certainly link in well with the SA viva species, as well as that Marmosets are near by too.

YWP has been opened since 2009 and is one of the collections which has come on the most, adding Lions a year after opening and now Amur Leopards and Tigers two years later, a very impressive collection - I'm already looking into another visit in the next month or two.