Join our zoo community

Moscow zoo Moscow zoo

Discussion in 'Russia' started by kiang, 26 Apr 2009.

1. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

That's true, but they should have moved him elsewhere. To another country in Europe for example. I do not think that in Tashkent will have good conditions.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

There were plans to revamp Tashkent zoo with help of Al Ain zoo, likely scrubbed due to coronavirus.
    Experts from UAE to be attracted to develop the capital's zoo
    Spikes in elephant exhibit were removed recently. The zoo also plans to build a training wall. I wonder if they would stop direct contact.
    [​IMG]

3. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't know that. Let's hope they get to the reconstruction soon.

4. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

The previous bull born in Moscow zoo, Elbrus (born 1995) was sent to Yerevan zoo in 1999, renamed Grand, and injured his tusks here. Later in 2014 he was transferred to Tbilisi zoo to accompany their cow Malka (23 now) whose mate Bacho died in 2008 and young bull Bunka (born in Tbilisi in 2007) was sent to Yerevan zoo in exchange. Grand's tusks were removed in 2014 & 2018.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Western woylie was born this spring and is now started to show itself in the pouch of its mother.

Cat-Man and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. csartie

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

csartie, Antoine, kiang and 1 other person like this.
  9. csartie

On August 11th, 2021 the Moscow Zoo was issued an animal exhibition license.
    Московский зоопарк получил лицензию на содержание и использование животных в культурно-зрелищных целях

These licenses become mandatory for Russian facilities after January 1st, 2022, with inspections taking place one year after initial issuance and every three years going forward.
    Россельхознадзор начал выдавать лицензии зоопаркам и океанариумам

The licensing process has an extensive list of requirements, including spacial minimums for habitats but also standardizing numerous aspects of animal management and display.
    С 2022 года показать звериное шоу без лицензии будет нельзя

10. Terka

Terka Member

Hello,

Please do they still plan to keep beluga whales in new Pinniped pavilion, which is supposed to open this Autumn? Some sources (even official) include belugas, some don't. The last article mentioning those lovely animals was published in July 2021. To me it seems that they used to be on the list for sure - but the change occured and they are not planned anymore. A pity, I would say, as I hoped animals from some bad conditions could found a lovely home there.

Thank you for info!

11. csartie

They seem to not be planned anymore -- as you said, they used to be included (in a multispecies exhibit together with walruses), now they're no longer mentioned as of earlier this year.

It's possible that the zoo may intend to keep the species' arrival quiet, or perhaps they still plan to house them in the future after the exhibit's initial opening, but for now most indications are pointing towards there being no belugas.

I suppose time will tell :)

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Terka

Terka Member

Thank you :) we just need to be patient then. They are already filling tanks with water! I can not wait to see it, I have a strange obsession with pools and tanks for animals :D :D :D

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. csartie

Walruses are on their way to Moscow right now. Five 3-year-olds from Yalta

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. csartie

Gosh I'm incredibly sorry for sharing this misinformation everyone :oops: as it turns out the title on the article reporting this was misleading, transfer crates were moved in on the 2nd to prepare the walruses but it seems they were only physically transferred recently --

Главное в регионах - Генеральная прокуратура Российской Федерации

Unless there's more confusion on my part with the translation, they seem to officially be in Moscow now :D

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

StoppableSan and csartie like this.
  16. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

New species on show is honey badger. A young pair arrived from Czechia in spring, spent their quarantine time in Volokolamsk and now moved to the zoo.

Article

That article doesn´t mention exact origins. But this must be male Sámer and female Kya from Olomouc zoo. Kya was born in Olomouc 2 years ago to parents Akin and Kali (who were imported from private breeder in South Africa). Sámer was imported from Syria last year. Both formed a pair and then dissappeared from Olomouc. Now we know where they went.

Zorro and csartie like this.
  17. Terka

Terka Member

It seems belugas are back in the game :) while the other articles exclude belugas from the list of planned species or just copy outdated info, one quite official source claims that walruses, sea lions and seals will inhabit the pavilion, while space for beluga whales will be adjusted later. Which is quite complicated to interpret, to be honest :D

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. csartie

Do you have a link to this source?

19. Terka

Terka Member

20. Terka

Terka Member

Today I approached the company responsible for construction of the tanks and - belugas are still planned :)

csartie and StoppableSan like this.