Join our zoo community

Most elusive zoo animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by PAKMan, 22 Sep 2021.

1. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

The only time I've seen them out of their den at the National Zoo is when it was cloudy.

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A surprisingly frequent no-show is the Malayan sun bear at Wellington Zoo. The new exhibit contains a cave she can retreat to during the day (and she does). I’ve seen her once on my last four visits (and even then only for a few seconds) vs the old exhibit where you got a decent sighting close to 100% of the time.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Australian Tarantula. Over several visits to the Cairns Aquarium I have never seen it once. But tarantulas are just like that.

One of the semi-aquatic snakes (I don't recall the name) also at Cairns Aquarium is much the same. In it's old exhibit I saw it only once. It has since been moved to a new exhibit, in which it is much more visible.

4. marmoset23

marmoset23 Active Member

The sloth bears at the Smithsonian National Zoo. Could be due to their exhibit that had you look up to see them.

TinoPup likes this.
  5. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Pretoria Zoo keeps a single hedgehog in a 6 meter by 2 meter, It's near impossible to see them and I never have.(This is an old photo form when the exhibit use to be empty)

[​IMG]

6. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That seems like one of the most ridiculous uses of a zoo exhibit I've ever seen. Why did they decide to put a Hedgehog in it?

7. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

I have no idea :rolleyes::confused:

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is hilarious.

Westcoastperson, Neil chace and Nix like this.
  9. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Dholes and and the regularly switched animals in the nocturnal area in Minnesota trails at the Minnesota zoo.
    Granted, I have seen both of these animals at the zoo, just never very often.

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've never had trouble seeing the Dholes at Minnesota, but I've never seen the beavers.

11. CheeseChameleon1945

Yeah more recently because of the Covid barriers Dholes have been a little harder to see, and Even before Covid I usually saw them sleeping on a rock or not seen at all.

12. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

I usually spend a couple of minutes in the viewing hut. If you look long enough, you’ll usually find them sleeping somewhere. The last time I saw them active was at least 6 months ago.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  13. CheeseChameleon1945

Yeah, I did see them Once during covid (so far the only time). I have a photo in the gallery.

14. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At Toronto there are several I have been very unlucky with. Never could find the tawny frogmouth despite having an idea where to look. Sadly he passed this summer. Luckily I have faint memories of him from my childhood when they had their Edge of the Night exhibit which solved a lot of the issues I have finding nocturnal animals. I just haven't seen the bettongs since they became roomies with the kookaburra. I think that one is just bad luck. The echidna is another I will likely never see. She only comes out late close to closing and I can never afford to stay that long because I have a very long drive home. Though she's and the bettong I also remember from Edge of the Night. Man I miss that exhibit. I think those are the ones that drive me craziest.

15. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

For me it's giant anteaters. For one thing I've never seen one awake, they're always huddled up asleep in the far corner of their enclosure. But the last few times I've been to zoos that have giant anteaters, I wasn't able to spot them anywhere. Wherever they were hiding they do a very good job at it.

ParathePineapple likes this.
  16. Prochilodus246

Prochilodus246 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more!

17. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Pretty much any nocturnal mammal that is kept in an outdoor exhibit. Aye-ayes for example are very likely to be no-show. Foxes often too, or small marsupials. Subterranean animals are obviously also no-shows, that's the reason of zoos displaying only aquatic caecilians instead terrestrial ones.

On a side note, I pass much time everyday in front of my aquarium, but most days I don't have ever a small glimpse on one of my fishes, the spotted talking catfish (Agamyxis pectinifrons). I have another nocturnal catfish too, a banjo catfish (Bunocephalus coracoideus) but it show itself much more often than the spotted one during day!

Haliaeetus likes this.
  18. Prochilodus246

Prochilodus246 Well-Known Member

Species that have eluded me many times:

Pudus, never seen one in the flesh
    Giant anteaters, seen two individuals but I still haven't managed to get a decent photo of the species
    Great hornbill, never seen nor photographed the two at Chester but heard them plenty of times
    Red duiker, despite waiting to see them for a good while they still never made an appearance
    Most aviary birds can be very hard to spot amongst plants (the ones at Chester are notoriously difficult)
    Rio Cauca caecilian, still yet to see the one at Chester

Haliaeetus likes this.
  19. Animallover360

Animallover360 Well-Known Member

At Stone Zoo, I went about a few years without seeing the ringtail. Only on a visit recently I did end up seeing it.
    At Franklin Park Zoo, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Hyenas active. While I’ve seen the hyenas on almost every visit, (until now because they are temporarily off exhibit due to the construction of “Gorilla Grove”) they never seem to be up to much.

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

In February 2020, a Three-Banded Armadillo arrived at Paignton from Copenhagen. I was lucky enough to be at the zoo when she went into the exhibit and got some photos as she explored. I haven't seen any sign of her since.