Join our zoo community

Most exotic animals seen on the pet trade

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by animalszoos, 19 Mar 2017.

1. Mouse1980

Mouse1980 Well-Known Member

That's mind boggling considering how unusual Asian Golden Cats are in European zoos!
    You mentioned cuscus earlier as well, may ask what kinds and where you saw them (I'm assuming Indonesia obviously)?

BenFoxster and BucerosKeeper like this.
  2. BucerosKeeper

BucerosKeeper Active Member

Golden Cats are pretty common (though not as common as other wild cat species) in Asian private and public collections, my family actually owned one or two animals way back.

Bear Cuscus usually, though I am not sure what species. And Spotted Cuscus as well, though these are usually sold as meat.

3. Mouse1980

Ah that's super interesting about the Golden Cats, I'm surprised we don't have more in Europe considering they're comparatively common in Asian collections. I knew Singapore zoo had them, didn't realise they were commonly kept though, thanks for the info.
    I really like the bear cuscus, I think I'd have to go to Poland for my nearest one though!

BenFoxster likes this.
  4. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

No the nearest bear cuscus to the UK are at
    Pairi Daiza in Belgium.

BenFoxster likes this.
  5. Mouse1980

Ah thank you, I forgot about those, I'm about as likely to make it there as I am to Wroclaw though!

BenFoxster likes this.
  6. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bongo numbers are booming in the secondary market.

7. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rayane likes this.
  8. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe to most of few it will not be a surprise, but I was really amazed by the large selection of birds this retailer offers. His name is Vogelhandel Huysmans on Facebook and for example, today, he has a male Short-billed honeycreeper for sale.

9. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Mouse1980

I'm not entirely convinced this; Копытные | www.zoo-ekzo.ru - Продажа экзотических животных Russian site isn't a scam (fake exotic animal scams seem to be increasingly popular these days I've noticed). But if it is genuine they've got everything from hamsters to hippos available. Some things are shockingly cheap; wolves for a £100 or bears for £500 anyone? Whereas an elephant is a reassuringly expensive £70k.
    There are a couple of things that are almost entirely absent from European zoos, for example this banded linsang; Полосатый линзанг | www.zoo-ekzo.ru - Продажа экзотических животных (unsuitable for even a country house remember guys) or perhaps you'd prefer a marbled cat Мраморная кошка | www.zoo-ekzo.ru - Продажа экзотических животных.
    Perhaps any Russian Zoochatters are able to verify if this is a scam or genuine? Either way I'm fascinated by the whole phenomena tbh.

11. Rayane

The Marbled cat has a little story behind him, but I believed it is/was in Novosibirsk.
    It looks too good to be real, but if it is a scam, the effort put in the website is insane

12. Mouse1980

Yes, I checked Zootierliste and according to them Novosibirsk has the only Marbled Cat/s in a European zoo. What's the story? I'm intrigued now!

Also I have to say having looked it up Novosibirsk Zoo looks pretty impressive!

I agree the site looks a lot more professional and thorough than most of the scams I've seen. Although some of them do seem to go to a lot of effort, even going so far as to make fake animal transport companies, so after they've scammed you into purchasing your fake non-existent pet they can scam you again by having you pay a different fake company to ship it to you! It's amazing the lengths people will go to!

13. Rayane

This marbled cat was seized by autorities, it was in the hands of a notorious animal dealer.
    There has been debate about wether or not this animal actually is still in Novosibirsk or was at anytime and if it is not anymore, never was then it's probably on the private trade. I don't really know how the discussion ended, that's all I know.

Also, it's also one of 2 Marbled cats in zoos I believe, the other one beeing in Taiping. I think someone talked about another one being somewhere in Indonesia but I'm not sure.

14. Mouse1980

That's all fascinating information! Thank you!

Perhaps this "notorious animal dealer" you mentioned is connected to the Russian site I linked? Or perhaps it's all just a scam? Who knows?

15. Rayane

You'll find more informations here

16. Dassie rat

During a visit to Howletts, one of my group went behind the scenes to see a marbled cat. He only mentioned it after the group left the zoo.

17. Mouse1980

Ah! Thanks again. I have heard of the notorious Armenian animal dealer, I've seen him mentioned on this site, and elsewhere before.

Novosibirsk zoo does sound like they have a pretty impressive collection (although lets not talk about the ligers - not cool!).

18. Mouse1980

Is that right? Very interesting. Presumably Damian Aspinal strongly disapproves of his zoo having it of course!

19. Dassie rat

His father, John Aspinall, was in charge then. One of the group got him to sign a zoo guide just before John Aspinall took off in his helicopter.

20. Mouse1980

Ah I see, so a while ago. Very rock star exit from John Aspinal there! I really need to go back to Howletts at some point (I've only been once, a decade or so ago), they've got Honey Badgers!