Join our zoo community

Most visited collection of 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 31 Dec 2019.

?

Which of these zoos have you visited?

Poll closed 7 Jan 2020.
  1. Chester

65.9%
  2. London

40.9%
  3. Whipsnade

38.6%
  4. Twycross

38.6%
  5. Paignton

31.8%
  6. Dudley

20.5%
  7. Colchester

31.8%
  8. Hamerton

54.5%
  9. Bristol

43.2%
  10. Cotswold

34.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought it would be interesting to create a poll to see which zoo had received visits from the most zoo chat members in 2019. I selected the 10 zoos which I believe to be the most widely visited due to popularity and location. If there is an obvious omission please let me know.

Mo Hassan and amur leopard like this.
  2. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would be interesting to see the annual visitor figures for these places. I imagine that Longleat, Edinburgh and Blackpool might be surprisingly high. Hamerton, though a great zoo and deservingly popular amongst the zoo geeks here, I doubt would be a top 10 zoo based on pure public attendance. If it's based solely on zoo nerd attendance then that would be somewhat different!

3. britishzoofan

Yes I was tempted to place those three collections in the poll. However the location of Edinburgh and Blackpool ruled them out and Longleat would have been my 11th choice. I also, would be interested if anyone had statistics on public attendances for the different collections in 2019.

4. Dormitator

This sounds a bit subjective, given that Blackpool is closer to Chester than Paignton is to Bristol (the closest zoos on the list to each other, I think). Why not make a larger poll with more zoos in to include these and others which may prove surprisingly popular? Criteria could be as straightforward as including any zoo with it's own 2019 news thread.

5. britishzoofan

I would but the maximum number of options on a poll is 10. I do understand where you are coming from in relation to Blackpool. Its exclusion was perhaps more to do with less activity on its particular news thread in relation to say Paignton. To add to that the current zoo with the lowest number of visits on the poll is Dudley which perhaps other than Twycross is the most centrally located of those in the poll.

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bristol and Paignton are 98 miles apart, there are loads of combinations closer than that:
    London - Colchester
    Dudley - Twycross
    Hamerton - London, Colchester, Twycross
    Whipsnade - London, Hamerton
    Cotswold - Bristol, London...
    That's just a start

7. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I'm not initially sure but if I remember correctly the only animal collection I visited last year before being admitted to hospital where I've remained for the last 10 months was Dartmoor Zoological Park

8. Dormitator

Woops, my bad, I typed completely the opposite of what I meant to say. I think from that list Paignton is the most isolated of the collections listed, being 2 hours from the next closest collection in Bristol.

Ahh, then I take that all back as well, I've never made a poll so I had no idea now many options were allowed.

pipaluk likes this.
  9. britishzoofan

Just a quick summary.
    • Unsurprisingly Chester was the most visited collection last year as the UK's top zoo.
    • Hamerton clear second, perhaps due partly to it hosting the IZES event?
    • Bristol and London led the rest of the bunch, perhaps due to location in cities near public transport?
    • Dudley some way behind perhaps due to inferior quality establishment compared to competitors in the poll?

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I suspect it is more a case of location - it's not terribly far from several other collections on the list which have more to attract a zoo enthusiast; people living north of Dudley are probably likelier to visit Chester, east Twycross and south Bristol.

britishzoofan likes this.
  11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went to all apart from Bristol, I probably would have gone to there after Slimbridge in October but Bear Wood diverted me to Wild Place instead! Nothing wrong with Dudley
    Personally, I think Hamerton would have been 2nd without the IZES event!!

Last edited: 12 Jan 2020
    britishzoofan likes this.
  12. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Dudley is possibly my least favourite in that list, but I visited today and the new enclosures, as well as the lemur walkthrough revamp, have given it a little lift for me.

britishzoofan and pipaluk like this.