Join our zoo community

Most visited zoo by Zoochatters

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by PAT, 20 Aug 2017.

?

Which zoos have you visited?

1. San Diego Zoo

51 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Bronx Zoo

35 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Los Angeles Zoo

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Chester Zoo

44 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. London Zoo

56 vote(s)
    50.9%
  6. Singapore Zoo

24 vote(s)
    21.8%
  7. Berlin Zoo

47 vote(s)
    42.7%
  8. Berlin Tierpark

39 vote(s)
    35.5%
  9. National Zoo, Washington

29 vote(s)
    26.4%
  10. Taronga Zoo

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've wondered for a while what zoo in the world has the honour of being graced by the most Zoochat members. On this site, there are a few zoos that are covered thoroughly but often they are not the most popular with the general public and vice versa. As we close in on 10,000 (9,649 as I type this) members, it'd be interesting to find out which zoo has been visited by the most members and what sort of circumstances influence this.

Some of the factors that come immediately to my mind could be:

>Collection - A unique or rare species might attract more Zoochatters than would entice an average visitor. Small collections with a few noteworthy specimens (e.g. RSCC in its heydey) might be higher on this list than a poll of the general public.

>Location and Accessibility - Zoos that are out of the way or hard to reach by public transport aren't going to get as many visitors that are passing by and will rely on people going out of their way to visit. Additionally, zoos in popular transit cities might get visitors who've taken an extended stopover than a zoo in a city that has to be travelled to.

>Locality of Zoochatters - The UK, USA, Australia, and a few other European countries seem to make up most of the traffic on this website so I wouldn't be surprised if any Asian, African, and South American zoos don't make it.

I've tried to stick to the zoos that I think are likely candidates but definitely suggest more and I'd love to hear what other factors you think would determine this.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2017
    snowleopard likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm going to make the bet that the zoo most visited by Zoochatters is in Europe. A poll of set choices has all sorts of obvious problems in coming to an actually correct answer, however the majority of active members are European I think. There are a fair number of North Americans but they don't actually seem to travel about their continent much (or overseas). Australasians make up a tiny proportion of forum members and relatively few Zoochatters from elsewhere will have been over this side of the world, so any zoos here won't be in the running. Nowhere in Africa, South America, or Asia will be in the top zoos either, although I grant that Singapore may well be high enough.

3. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

Chester is the zoo I have visited the most but that's down how much of a brilliant zoo it is and I have a lot of memories of the place.

4. Chlidonias

I think the question is which zoo has had the most number of individual Zoochatters visiting it, not which zoo has an individual Zoochatter visited the most times.

5. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

I understand that,but I'm only offering an opinion from my side as I do know a lot of people who do visit Chester.That's just my two cents though.

6. Chlidonias

I don't normally vote on polls - not my thing - but got to keep up the Australasian and Asian side of things, so I did. The only two zoos I've visited on the list are Taronga and Singapore. Every little bit helps ;)

7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I guess it would be Chester, as many members on zoochat is in UK.Chester zoo is arguably the best zoo in UK,and one of the best in Europe. Also, I think chester have the most photo on zoochat.

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not so sure it will be Chester, London might have a good chance to as that one is visited by Ukers and tourists alike, whereas Chester is visited mostly by the UK people...

9. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think there are some historic zoos in Europe that are sites of pilgrimage for many zoo fans, the likes of Jersey, Hamburg, Jardin des plantes and Schönbrunn are must-see zoos for many.

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Maybe maybe not Chester has more and more foreign visitors,also you seem to be forgetting Chester is a major tourist centre,and has alot of major centres close by that many foreign tourists visit!

11. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

True but based on Belgian and Dutch zoofora, a lot of people seem to have been to London and only very few to Chester as well. And Chester may be a major tourist centre on a national scale, but the amount of tourists in London is just many times higher...

12. Chlidonias

after 11 days, London is well ahead of all the other zoos, with 28 votes. Most of the American zoos on the poll are surprisingly low.

13. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that there are so many more votes for Berlin Zoo than for Tierpark, I would have thought that numbers would be roughly equal.

14. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not incredibly illogical that they are, though. I suspect not everyone has time to arrange trips over multiple days to berlin, so if you only have one day you have to make a choice.

Don't forget that Berlin zoo gets around 3x more visitors anually (3,3 Million vs 1,2 Million last year), is a lot easier to reach because it's right in the middle of the city, has a collection most visitors (normal people and zoochatters alike) would be more inclined to see, and is actually comfortably doable within one day!

animalszoos, Mehdi and LaughingDove like this.
  15. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

London Zoo is not surprisingly in the lead so far. I have been to six of the ten on the list.

16. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm amongst those who have only been to the Zoo and not the Tierpark. There is just too much to see in that city and I had to make a decision.

@Chlidonias I did consider the disparity between the number of European Zoochatters vs American Zoochatters but Americans (generally, not just on Zoochat) travel a lot more within their own country so I thought that might make up for it. If it weren't for the 10 options limit on polls I'd have liked to include a few more Asian and Australian zoos.

17. aardvark250

For example?

18. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Although it won't be high on this list, I think Beijing Zoo gets around six million visitors a year.

19. aardvark250

But there aren't many zoochatters that visit Beijing.

20. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Which is why it won't be high on this list.

PAT, Chlidonias and CGSwans like this.