Join our zoo community

Mote Aquarium News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 10 Sep 2012.

Tags:
  1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mote Aquarium in Sarasota, FL is a small aquarium that has a focus on animals that can be found in Florida waters. Some of the marquee animals there include manatees, sharks, sea turtles, and a dolphin. Mote Marine Laboratory - Mote Marine Laboratory
    Mote is starting to have a chain of temporary exhibits. First off was Penguin Island, which opened in November 2011, until the birds went back to sunny California in April 2012. Now, another temporary exhibit called Sea Lions: On the Water's Edge will open on December 1, 2012 and will be open until spring 2013. It will feature California and Patagonian Sea Lions.
    Mote Marine Laboratory - Sea Lions Coming to Mote in December

2. BeardsleyZooFan

3. BeardsleyZooFan

Does anyone know if there are any Patagonian Sea Lions in the US, and if so, where? There are plenty of California Sea Lions to get, but I don't know where they'll source the Patagonian's...
    Also, can a moderator please move this to the Mote Marine Laboratory forum?
    Mote Marine Laboratory Forums

4. BeardsleyZooFan

From the official Mote Aquarium Facebook page;

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know there are quite a few Patagonians in European zoos and aquariums like Zoo Liberec and Dolphinarium "Nemo". Also, the Bejing Zoo has them and, obviously, some South American zoos/aquariums must have them. I haven't ever been able to find them in the U.S., though, and I don't think we have them.

Although, as you know BZF, Mystic Aquarium is one of only four zoos in North America that has Steller Sea Lions :cool:

6. BeardsleyZooFan

Thanks ThylacineAlive for the info on the Patagonians.
    Mystic has also recently added Northern Fur Seals, so now 2 of the rarest pinnepids in US collections can be seen side-by-side in Mystic.

7. ThylacineAlive

I know Mystic has added Northern Fur Seals but I didn't know they were that rare in US collections.:confused:

8. BeardsleyZooFan

Hugh and Buffett, the male West Indian Manatee brothers, are back on exhibit in their refurbished habitat.

9. BeardsleyZooFan

Sea Lions: On the Water's Edge will feature 3 female Patagonian Sea Lions (apparantely they will acquire more sea lions later), and is open now. It will run through April 28, 2013. I might make a return visit to Mote, because honestly, when's the next time I'm going to be able to see a Patagonian Sea Lion?:cool:
    Mote Marine Laboratory - Sea Lions Debut Dec. 1 at Mote

10. ThylacineAlive

If and/or when you go to either Europe or South America. Quite a few places hold them outside the U.S. in these areas. I believe the Bejing Zoo also holds the species.

11. BeardsleyZooFan

That's what I mean. I'm not going to get any chances to go to Europe, South America, or China anytime soon. That's why I posted that it in the sense that I'm not going to see some for a long time after Mote.

12. ThylacineAlive

True unfortunetly I won't get a chance to go down (probably). Maybe this will spark some more of the species coming in perminently to the U.S. (doubt it, though)

13. BeardsleyZooFan

14. BeardsleyZooFan

15. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Do they still have the pantropical spotted dolphin resident (moonshine) in the dolphin lagoon?

The google map image of the place from 2011 shows the lagoon full of algae, looking unused but I can only find evidence of Harley's death in 2011. I presume that moonshine has died too?

16. BeardsleyZooFan

I think Moonshine is still at the aquarium, as he still has a page on their website, and their website is fairly up to date. Mote Marine Laboratory - Mote Marine Laboratory. However, I am not sure but I might make a return visit this year to see the Patagonian Sea Lions, but I will update the dolphin status as well if I make the trip.

17. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Thanks! I thought I had a look at the website but must have missed that oops!

I assumed, from google maps, that the dolphin lagoon (from photos) was the pool attached to the main aquarium building, but is this pool in fact the one at the Ann and Alfred E Goldstein Marine Mammal Centre?

EDIT: After having another look I can see that the marine mammal centre pool is the one i've seen in all the photos, so the other pool must be for something else, like manatees. Mystery solved!

Last edited: 4 Jan 2013
  18. BeardsleyZooFan

A new Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle is now on exhibit. Here is the official Facebook post from Mote Aquarium;
    "A new sea turtle named “Caleb” is now on exhibit publicly in The Aquarium at Mote Marine Laboratory, which is providing the turtle a permanent home because it has impaired swimming abilities and cannot be returned to the wild.

Caleb is the first Kemp’s ridley turtle — considered the most endangered sea turtle species on Earth — to become a permanent resident in Mote’s exhibit Sea Turtles: Ancient Survivors. The exhibit also houses loggerhead and green turtles that could not be released, has a hospital for hatchling sea turtles and features educational displays about Mote’s sea turtle conservation and research, highlighting how the public can help sea turtles survive."

19. ThylacineAlive

Does the aquarium breed sea turtles? That said, do any places breed sea turtles?

~Thylo:cool:

20. BeardsleyZooFan

They do not breed sea turtles, but they do have a hospital that the public can view which contains sea turtle hatchlings.