Join our zoo community

Cologne Zoo Mountain Tapir!!!

Discussion in 'Germany' started by mstickmanp, 3 Aug 2008.

1. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I just read a bulletin at the Los Angeles Zoo that showed animals that will be going to other zoos from the LA zoo, and one of them is a male Mountain Tapir to the Cologne Zoo! It did not include any date when this will be happening, so if I get more info I will be posting it.

2. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good news, at last, we get mounatin tapirs in germany again. But why LA wants to stop keeping them ? And to which plaes the other mountain tapirs will go, and why they didn't send a pair to cologne ?

3. mstickmanp

I don't think the LA zoo is going to stop keeping them since they are building a new exhibit due open by 2010. I think the Los Angeles Zoo is actually sending a surplus male, because as of right now they have 4.1 mountain tapirs according to ISIS. I think three of the four males are the offsprings of the breeding pair so I guess the zoo can't house that many males.

4. Zebraduiker

The really build a new exhibit for the mountain tapirs ? Good news,because the exhbit now is not very good.

Do you have any informations about the other mountain tpairs at San Francisco, Langley or Cheyenne Mountain Zoo ? They have bred them one time, so why they had not bred them again ?

5. mstickmanp

Sorry, but I don't have any info on the other tapirs in the other zoos.

6. Zebraduiker

No Problem, but thanks for the LA Info, I can't await it to see the mountain tapir at the cologne zoo. Hope, the transport will be allright. The Stuttgart Zoo has tried to get a young male from LA in 1993, but the animal died on its way from the LA Zoo to the airport.

7. Zebraduiker

By the way, is it possible to read this bulletin in the web ? Or can you send me a scan of this page ?

8. mstickmanp

The bulletin was on the volunteer room at the Los Angeles Zoo, so I don't think it's online. But I did take a pic of the bulletin so I could remember what the list of animals.

I wrote down what the whole paper said in the Los Angeles Zoo Animal News thread. The info was in the form of a list.

http://www.zoobeat.com/22/animal-news-20527/

9. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Wow thats great news! Hopefully the malf can sire some offspring in the european circuit!

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are no others in Europe!

11. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Wow I never knew that this is even better!

12. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there any news when the tapir comes to cologne?

13. mstickmanp

nope, i haven't heard anything lately.

14. Zebraduiker

I've aksed somebody at the zoo two days ago, No news. I've heared, some british Zoofreaks are sitting in the starting holers to come to cologne, as soon as the tapir has arrived.

And some german Zoofreaks discus the situation that only one male mountain tapir will come to cologne and no female, so someone had the idea, to keep only male tapirs from diffrent species together. What a weakminded idea...But I have to say also, its a weakminded idea, too, to import only one male mountain tapir.....

15. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It would seem like a lot of time, money and effort if the zoo was importing a single male animal which would then spend the rest of its days alone. Serious zoofans would not be impressed by this strategy and the rest of the public would not care… However I wonder if Cologne zoo may have something up its sleeve and believe it can get more animals from another source, which would be impressive as LA Zoo has been trying to do this for years. But then it’s not what you know, it’s who you know…