Join our zoo community

Mountain Tapirs in US Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zebraduiker, 27 Jun 2008.

1. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Hi ! I need your help!

I'm working on an article about the history of mountain tapirs in captivity for a german zoo magazine.

I have a lot of informations about the current poluation, but I'm looking for some informations about the mountapirs, which are were kept at Portland, San Antonio, Memphis and Brwonsville.

I need to know when the animals arrived at this zoos, and when they died. They never bred at this zoos, I know that.

The Bronx Zoo got a second mountan tapir in 1952, a male namend Pancho, but I couldnt find out, when this male died at the Bronx Zoo.

Can somebody help me ? It would be great, if I could get some historical pictures of mountain tapirs for my article. Thanks in Advance !

Is the female at San Francisco pregant in the meantime ?

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Have you contacted the Tapir gallery? The leader of this site will have more answers then us!

I have plenty of pictures of the species at L.A zoo if you'd like to use them...

3. ericnielsenpdx

ericnielsenpdx Well-Known Member

I have pictures of many of the Mountain Tapirs in North America - have seen those in LA 3-4 years ago and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo this year, and a couple of years ago got to go in the yard and interact with "Inca", a beautiful and friendly female Mountain tapir at Mountain View in Langley, BC. If you'd like some of these pics just let me know. As far as Portland having Mountain tapirs at some point, I have never heard that, but now I am curious. I have a friend who does some work with the vets, I can look into it if you'd like.