Join our zoo community

Mountain Tapirs- Zoo Population, Conservation, and the Like

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DragonDust101, 30 Dec 2016.

1. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

I'm starting this thread after it came up in another Fantasy Zoo thread about the captivity of Mountian Tapirs (Tapirus Pinchaque) in zoos, how they are being conserved in the wild, and there zoo population. Basically, I want this thread to be a general thread about Mountian Tapirs, whether it's news, pictures, or reasons why they should be in captivity. I'll post about the population.

North America-
    Cheyenne Mountian Zoo (1.1)
    L.A. Zoo (1.1?)
    I know there are more in NA, can't remember the location though.

Europe-
    None

South America- Probably a few, I know there is a pair in Colombia.

Anything Else?

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

LA Zoo has 4.1. There are no other holders in America.

The Colombia zoo you refer to is the Cali Zoo.

There are 9 in captivity worldwide. 8 of them are descended from the same pair at the Los Angeles Zoo.

More info (Spanish): danta

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

The tapir tag should have breeding programs for all 5 tapir species. All are endangered, all can be educational to adults and kids, and there such unique animals.

4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

That would be illogical for a number of reasons. For one, as of the last evaluation that I'm aware of, there were only 110 tapir spots in the USA. That puts each species at a measly 22 spots, hardly enough for a sustainable population to save each from extinction. Accounting for growth since then, maybe 23 spots per species. Regardless, it isn't enough. That's why the TAGs make their decisions: what is the most effective way to use available space, given population dynamics and conservation needs? Lowland (Brazilian, whatever you want to call them) are the focus of European zoos. They're breeding well, a healthy population. Why would we waste our precious 110 spots on a species doing just fine elsewhere? On the same reasoning, Europe has very few Baird's tapirs.
    As for mountain tapirs: where are you going to get any to breed? As I mentioned earlier, out of the entire global captive population of 9, only 1 is unrelated. Wild capture is unlikely, and even then, the permits to transfer to the US are complicated. Money better spent elsewhere.
    Kabomani tapirs: many sources don't even consider them a species, or say there isn't enough proof to do so. Again, where will you get any?
    The educational aspect is mostly irrelevant. Many adults will go "oh it's a tapir," that is, if they even bother to read the sign, and move on. Seen one, seen them all.

5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

Perhaps I was being illogical. I think at least 3 species should be represented.

6. DragonDust101

Those being Mountian, Malayan, and Baird's, the ones under the most danger.
    Wild capture may be jnlikely, but how did we get the original breeding pairs? Wild capture. They obviously adapated very well to captivity if there are 2 children at LA. Boards has a good population, and are probably the most prevalent in zoos. And Malayan are always a candidate.

Also, Doesn't EAZA have a Malayan Tapir breeding program?

pachyderm pro likes this.
  7. DragonDust101

Zootierliste has that 2 zoos have Baird's Tapir in Europe, 19 zoos have Malayan, and over 145 have Lowland Tapirs. That means that possibly, some Malayan Tapirs and be sent to Germany in exchange for the zoos with Baird's (dunno if a zoo would want to give up the Baird's, but anyway) and that would free up some spaces for Mountian Tapirs, wouldn't it? Maybe not, but that doesn't mean all zoos have Tapirs. Why can't those zoos have some Mohntians and breed that species for conservation?

8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member

As jay already explained, getting them is the main problem. They are very rare and live in a place that is hard to get to and explore. Also, there is not enough room for three species of tapir: in fact, there's not even enough room for one species, but because Malayan and Baird's are both endangered and both populations are viable they are trying to make it work.

I am actually curious about why a couple of German zoos are holding Baird's tapirs, and whether they are part of our breeding program or were somehow considered surplus.

9. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member

The four remaining Baird's Tapir in Germany are all related to each other, being the last female at Wuppertal mother of all the others. Anyway, there still are plans to breed them. Because the AZA don't want to give any new animals to Europe.

10. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

@arafan.

Please let us know from where you excactly you know the AZA dont't want to give more Baird's Tapirs to europe ? I tell you a little secret: Europe is working on that.

Ps:There are only three Bairds tapirs in europe, an old female at Wuppertal, and a pair at Cottbus Zoo.

@Coelacanth18-

To answer your question why Bairds Tapirs were imported to germany: It is the same reason why the same zoo imported yellow-backed duikers, Dortmund imported Angola-Giraffes and the Tierpark Berlin has imported Gerenuks:Just for show, only for display reasons. The former directors of both places were collectors of animals. The more rare, unique species in the"Collection",the better. Unfortunately there was never a change to create a population out of just five yellow backed duikers, so it failed as the same the attempt to bring gerenuks back to europe has failed. Luckily for rare species lovers, from both species new imports will follow in the near future.

Even if also new bairds Tapirs will come to europe, there is no chance to see them in more than just a handful of zoos The european population of Malayan Tapirs is growing well, so new holders are needed for this species. Europe should concentrate on Malayan and Lowland, the Usa on Malayan and Bairds-thats the best thing they could do, and it works very well with so many other species. So I hope, the AZA will not give more Bairds to europe.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2016
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

In fact, I would rather hope the remaining Baird's tapirs in Europe will transfer to North - and Meso American zoos in order for the European zoos to be able to expand the Malayan tapir program. That would imply / require AZA to get on board to taking back the European Baird's tapirs and integrate them into the AZA/Meso-Americas program.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Did you forget the male at Zoo Berlin, or has he passed away in the very recent past?

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

@TLD, I think he is still there.

14. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

@TLD You're right-I've forgot the male at Berlin Zoo. Sorry!

15. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member

That's what I've read some years ago (I mean it was in a TAG report). Also the plans to breed with two really close related animals would say that there isn't any other way to get animals. In my opinion it doesn't make any sense to import new Baird's tapir, Europe should focus on the Lowland and Malayan.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  16. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member

In practice it should be different: import whatever becomes available from the land of origin (usually rescue animals or their offspring) and hope to build a breeding group on it.