Join our zoo community

Mountain View Conservation & Breeding Centre Mountain View Conservation + Breeding Centre

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 18 Dec 2007.

1. KrissyR

KrissyR Well-Known Member

2. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

RIP, giraffe. It should never have gotten that bad :(

3. Lemur_catta

Lemur_catta Guest

Oh Jerome, you were absolutely magnificent!

On a side note, I wholeheartedly think a different should have been brought in, a more impartial one. Having been behind the scenes... I would trust a different vet more.

4. Safari Park

Safari Park Well-Known Member

I heard from a zoo director the center has been sold. Alot of animals have been spoken for already and are scheduled to be moved rather quickly. Seems pretty odd...

5. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

According to their website they will be moving all exotic animals and the center will mainly focus on local Canadian "Red-listed" wildlife.

link: Mountain View Wildlife Conservation Centre - News

6. Safari Park

Good lord....Marcella Leone bought everything!(Lionshare Farms CT) Can't wait to see her walking down the street with bottle raised cape hunting dogs....if you don't know her she bottle raises everything.....and yes she will try the hunting dogs.

7. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

What!?! Everything what do you mean? Do you know anything about her facility? I heard she only has a giraffe, camel, ponies, goats, striped hyena and some others.

8. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

WTF?!!!!

to put in in perspective i live in melbourne australia. the temperature in the coldest of winter nights struggles to get below one zero celsius (around 32F). it doesn't snow down here.

the giraffe barns in my local open range zoo are heated.

the fact that any of these tropical animals, let alone giraffes that are so well known to be susceptible to cold would be without heat in a place like canada is atrocious.

i think northern zoos really need to start drawing lines over the animals they can effectively and humanely house in their cold climate. and phasing out the others.

kermodei likes this.
  9. Safari Park

Well there getting rid of everything...check their website. Marcella Leone bought it all.

10. Safari Park

She has a pair of giraffes compliments of Lion Country Safari. 1.1 organgutans(michael jackson) and the female from Gulf Breeze Zoo. She has a bunch of monkeys gibbons, spiders, colobus. This is coming from a person that tried to buy the entire Gulf Breeze zoo and move it to CT...didn't happen but she bought this zoo and should be moving everything in the next few months.

11. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I wonder what will happen to the pair of Mountain Tapirs that belong to the LA Zoo.

12. Safari Park

They will be headed back to your zoo. It's a shame nobody wants them. There phasing out like everything else in this country.

13. kbaker116

Hopefully she has space for it all, I have a bad feeling about this.

14. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman New Member

You might want to warn your curator about the tapirs as well as any other animals they have on loan there. I have heard through the grapevine that zoos that have contacted Mountain View to ask about their animals either did not get responses after repeated attempts, or got strange requests to buy their animals off of them, which they thought were odd since they are supposed to be closing and are known for not wanting to buy animals outright if they can avoid it. The suspicion apparently was that the animals had already been sold and they got caught in the act before the animals had been sent out.

15. ungulatepark

ungulatepark Member

As for the addax shot six time.. not to sound bad but did the shoot it with a pellet gun? and if the did have to to shoot it with anything but that it should only take one and if it took more well then they should not have touched a rifle. sounds like a bad situation all around

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

17. kbaker116

To anyone who visited the farm: What were the indoor holding areas for the Indian Rhinos and Tapirs like? Do most zoos that are colder have indoor pools? I know Toledo Zoo and I'm pretty sure the Detroit Zoo does for their Hippos. I would think these guys would too, but maybe not.

18. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but does Mountain View Conservation and Breeding Centre still have mountain tapirs?

19. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They got out of all exotic animals after a spat with the SPCA in 2009 and 2010. After relocating everything it then moved to Canadian conservation programs such as the Northern spotted owl. Since then its dwindled to extinction. The owl program may still be run from there but its run by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resources. So long way of saying nope there isnt any mountain tapirs there.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  20. kermodei

kermodei Well-Known Member

So I'm a little late to the party here... but would there be any interest in recent (circa. 2019) photos of what's become of Mountain View? I visited as part of a tour of the Northern Spotted Owl Breeding Program, which is at the far back of the property, and thus passed along many abandoned/repurposed enclosures. I'd be happy to upload them if folks would like! :)

Also, for those curious, the only conservation going on at the property now is the aforementioned Spotted Owl breeding program. IIRC Gordon, the property (and former facility) owner, leases part of the land to the program, but they have no other direct connection at this point.

This season's young owls are just starting to hatch and goodness are they cute!
    [​IMG]
    (Photo sourced from the program's official Facebook page)

squatch, Antoine and snowleopard like this.