Join our zoo community

Mountain View Conservation & Breeding Centre Mountain view going out of exotics

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kiang, 26 Apr 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mountain view conservation centre has announced that it is to disperse its collection of exotic species, to other collections and focus entirely on endangered Canadian species like the Vancouver island marmot and spotted owls.
    This, i imagine will be quite an undertaking, but there are a few species i am sure quite a few north American zoos would like to get their hands, especially a few of their small cat species.

Mountain View sending away its exotic animals

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've been reading many reports of the demise of Mountain View in my local newspapers, and I'm extremely intrigued to find out where the mountain tapirs and 30 or more African wild dogs end up. The centre will now focus exclusively on a handful of North American species.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some farm .... (through commercial dealers) ... making a mockery of AZA breeding programmes. It has been discussed in a separate thread.

4. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman New Member

The fact that they are selling their animals to private farms instead of sending them to conservation programs is yet more proof of how serious their conservation claims are, as well as demonstrating how accurate the claims coming from the staff of the zoo over the years have been.

kermodei likes this.
  5. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

I know that this is an older thread but after recently visiting Mountain View's website, they still have quite a few exotic species like the mountain tapirs, vicunas, golden, indian desert, and amur leopard cats, and a variety of pheasants, turacos, and waterfowl.