Join our zoo community

Movie Rant 2020

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Brum, 10 Jan 2020.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Starting off the new year and new thread with some shocking news from Marvel, Scott Derrickson has left Doctor Strange 2, meaning that the film no longer has a director! In case anyone doesn't know Scott Derrickson also directed the first Doctor Strange movie.
    Doctor Strange sequel director steps down

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  2. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thinking that I’ve had enough to get my thoughts out. I may as well give my two cents on the latest movie I saw in cinemas, Star Wars the Rise Of Skywalker. Which I saw on opening day by chance.

without spoiling, this is an ok movie, it looks fantastic but I’ve got a lot of issues with it. That being said it’s far better than the train wreck which was episode 8, but I still find myself being underwhelmed and confused by how they’ve decided to end this trilogy.

A lot of people have already said the main problem with this trilogy was lack of planning and direction, which I whole heartedly agree With, the prequels for all their faults had a clearly defined direction from the get go. This trilogy and this film clearly didn’t.

Some of the new characters are great, others feel shoved in and hilariously underdeveloped, much like some of the returning cast. I curse these films for giving R2 next to nothing to do! The twists just had me scratching my head, the big one, people who have seen the film will know what I mean, when you think about it is just so confusing and makes no sense!

The CGI and practical effects are once again great for a star wars movie, the music is your typical star wars music, not much to write home about, the acting for the most part is okay, no one is godawful in their performance but some of the dialogue just feels out of place and forced. Actually one performance that is really bad IMO is Hux, I’ve no clue what they were doing there!

Overall episode 9, not the best ending to a saga not the worst. I didn’t hate but I didn’t exactly love it either, rather I meh it. If I had to give it a rating it’d probably be a 5 out of 10. Definitely not the worst film in the world, but the new hope we had at the start of this trilogy has quickly seeped away.

3. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

So I finally saw (now multi Oscar winning film) Parasite last Saturday. Just going to get this out of the way now, this is the first film I've given a 10/10 since Mad Max: Fury Road in 2015. It's a Masterpiece of a film, incredibly well written, well acted, and well directed. It didn't feel like a 2 hour and 12 minute film, I never lost interest during the entire run time. I won't go into much detail but please do yourself a favor and see it.

Ty Kuykendall likes this.