Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Is it a coincidence that the movie cost $150 million to make?

birdsandbats likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A hilarious one. :)

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Granted, I haven't seen the last season of GOT (which I consider solid entertainment, but not "the greatest show on earth") yet, but from what I've heard and read, it's just another example of a show that has maneuvered itself into a corner that makes it unable to live up to the expectations it set up during its run. Happy Days, Twin Peaks, HIMYM, The X-Files, The Simpsons (unfortunately, still ongoing)...once your narrative has become too complicated or repeats itself (while you've "spoiled" your audience to demand more and more) , your actors and staff have become weary and listless, your story has jumped the shark etc. etc, it's time to end. And so far, only a few shows have managed to do that elegantly. Scrubs almost did, if it hadn't been for season 9.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really disagree with that. The writing this season has been truly atrocious. You have storylines and plot elements being completely abandoned, characters suddenly becoming completely different people between episodes, some of the worst military strategies ever put to film in the show known for its use of real world military strategy just so the stakes can appear higher and end quicker, Qyburn's scorpion becoming a rapid fire weapon, and Rhaegal getting killed because "Daenerys kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet" (actual quote) when the Iron Fleet was discussed with her literally twice in that same episode. Not to mention the monumental screw up of the Long Night storyline as discussed in the video I posted. They couldn't even bother to have Ghost in a scene with Jon because they said the CGI budget wouldn't allow it (which makes no sense because Ghost is played by a real wolf enhanced with some CGI and they used significantly less CGI this season than past ones). Then there's an episode where you can see virtually nothing because they darkened it too much, and the creators excuse was that the fans are watching the show wrong (they said you should watch in a pitch black room on a high definition TV with the brightness turned up-- which I did, and still couldn't see a thing). This isn't not meeting expectations, this is not caring about what you're making because you know people will watch no matter what.

~Thylo

5. Batto

So how does your rant disagree with "(...)has maneuvered itself into a corner that makes it unable to live up to the expectations it set up during its run"? Apparently, the people in charge of GOT wanted to adhere to their deadlines and thus wrapped up the final season as cost- and time-efficiently as necessary - and sacrified the quality of the storytelling for that.
    There's a very fitting German word for this - tjey probably got Torschlusspanik...^^
    German Word of the Day: Die Torschlusspanik

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The other way round, sadly - they imposed the deadline of finishing the show in 13 episodes across two seasons (rather than two full 10-episode seasons as had been the case previously) themselves, despite HBO telling them that full seasons were desired and that they would have a blank cheque for production costs to ensure a satisfying conclusion, and that further seasons were welcome if needed. Coincidentally, not long after they made this decision they took a job writing a new Star Wars trilogy :p so the general feeling is that they lost interest in the show and wanted to wrap it up ASAP so they could do something else.

I think your suggested German word does sum the situation up well, however :p

Batto likes this.
  7. ThylacineAlive

Additionally they pushed back the release of season 8 by a year. Rushed, yes, but they rushed it themselves. There were so many ways to end this in satisfactory manner. Step one would be not changing the whole point of the story and then changing most of the characters to fit said story.

~Thylo

8. Batto

With people in charge, I actually meant Benioff, White et al raising the bar (i.e. DL) themselves. But you're right; the GOT series is the property of HBO. Too bad they couldn't persuade the showrunners to the more reasonably paced schedule you mention. And that just because of SW cash; that's like harmfully prodding a great racehorse beyond exhaustion to the closeby finishing line just because another horse is waiting there.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

SW cash that may never come, seeing as Disney is downsizing the number of SW films they're producing, taking a three year break after Episode 9, and have reportedly already cancelled Rian Johnson's trilogy.

~Thylo

Batto likes this.
  10. Batto

So there is no other racehorse at the finishing line...:D
    Seems they pushed their luck too far.

11. TeaLovingDave

They are also planning an alternate-history series about a modern-day Confederacy who won the American Civil War and retained slavery, apparently a dream project of theirs..... so I think we can all agree that will be horrific.

12. ThylacineAlive

Dracarys...

I'm curious if HBO is starting to worry about the GoT brand name with all the hate this season's been getting. There are multiple spin-off series in the works but I've heard a lot of people say they won't bother watching them if this is the quality they think they can pass off.

~Thylo

13. TeaLovingDave

The spin-offs are being handled by different showrunners, mind you - and as already noted, it is becoming increasingly apparent even to the general public that the problems lie with the showrunners rather than HBO itself :p

Batto and ThylacineAlive like this.
  14. Batto

My guess is that they will play it just like Disney in regard to the SW franchise - wait a bit for the dust to settle and then release new content to give the fans what they crave for. And as TLD mentioned, they'll probably distance themselves as subtly as possible from the current showrunners and get new ones.

15. Batto

That's what disappointed fans usually say in the heat of the moment. But when the new content is out and the word-of-mouth recommendation is good, they'll be back. ;)

16. ThylacineAlive

Very true. Not everyone always returns, though. I've still yet to revisit the DC universe since Justice League and have no interest in their upcoming projects other than maybe the Joker movie, which isn't even part of the universe anyway.

~Thylo

17. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn't watch all of them, just Shazam and Aquaman, ya know, the good ones.

TZDugong likes this.
  18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I watched Godzilla (2014) the other day and (at the risk of alienating @Hipporex for ever!) I did not enjoy it. On the other hand, if I could have seen the action then it may have been better, but unfortunately the finale was pretty much unwatchable because of the lighting. Other negatives were the complete waste of Bryan Cranston, and the fact Godzilla only gets about 10 minutes of screen time in his own movie.
    Another (personal) annoyance was the fact they showed the best scene in the trailer, but Godzilla breathing fire down the MUTO's throat was still epic anyway.

On the plus side it has got me stoked for King Of The Monsters because it looks like I may get a proper look at some Kaiju monsters in that film. Good times! :D

4/10

TZDugong and Benosaurus like this.
  19. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, I’d definitely agree with this post. The DCEU before these two movies was basically unwatchable (apart from Wonder Women which was fine), but these recent two are lighter, much more fun movies. Both are definitely worth a watch and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

20. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

*Hipporex begins showing visible resentment towards Brum* :p

In all seriousness, I honestly understand and agree with your complaints (this is definitely a movie to be watched a night). However, I'm able to still enjoy the movie because I can look past all that. Is the movie as good as I personally give it credit for? No. Do I care? Also no. But I definitely share in the excitement for King of Monsters. Only two more weeks baby!