Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

I forgot to post, but I saw Joker opening weekend. It's not the best movie of the year imo (Midsommar still is) but it's still very solid. I really don't mind slow burn movies and the ending certainly paid off. Joaquin Phoenix has become my favorite version of the Joker, and I fully expect him to get several nominations come award season. The supporting cast was also quite good. I feel the movie also did a good job of toeing the line of "the Joker is justified in what he's doing" and "the Joker is a monster". I'd give it an 8/10 personally.

On another note, I sometimes get offers for discounted/free screenings. The latest discount offering was Frozen II, so I'm seeing that this weekend. I'm not super hopeful, I've heard there's a nonsensical twist that ruins a lot of character development.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I bet it's Batman.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Apparently Joker already has a sequel in the works.

~Thylo

Brum and evilmonkey239 like this.
  4. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not surprising considering it’s the highest grossing r-rated movie ever made (I think?). Although, I thought Joker was a stand-alone film not part of the DCEU, it just doesn’t seem right to make a sequel.

Brum likes this.
  5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've finally got around to watching Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (please forgive me @Shorts but I've been busy...) and I thought it was a masterpiece, not Tarantino's best but a bloody good film as it stands.
    The cast are brilliant, Brad Pitt is surely getting an Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actor for his performance, and Leonardo DiCaprio is quite believable in his role as an actor coming to terms with no longer being the biggest star in Hollywood. The direction and song choices are brilliant, and the finale is understated but a work of minor genius. My only gripe is there is far too much of Tarantino's foot fetish on display, to the point where it's really distracting. If a woman can have her shoes off (regardless of how much sense it makes in the scene!) then she inevitably has bare feet.

I'll give this film an 8/10 as it's no Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill, but it's definitely better than The Hateful Eight and Jackie Brown.

6. Chlidonias

Wonder Woman 1984 trailer!

I like it! It's so colour-happy and Blue Monday fits the trailer quite well, although the song itself kind of sucks.

I still don't like that she's moping around after Steve though. It's been seventy years! Get over him, move on, don't be so frowny-face. Confusingly she was still all mopey frowny-face about Steve in that group movie she did with the Power Rangers or whatever the DC heroes call themselves, and that was set well after this one. I get the feeling he's going to die again.

7. Brum

Blasphemy!

Other than that I agree with you, but I'm not too excited. Looks better than the first one though, which was a little over-rated.

8. Chlidonias

Blasphemy!

9. Brum

I did emphasise the word "little", I'm not Thylo! ;)

On the subject of Blue Monday, the song didn't come out until 1986. Little continuity error for you music/movie geeks out there.

10. Chlidonias

Songs from 1983 that could have been better in the trailer:

Sweet dreams are made of this - Eurythmics
    Maniac - Michael Sambello
    Owner of a lonely heart - Yes

But I think the best choice would have been Rock you like a hurricane by Scorpions which was released in 1984

Brum likes this.
  11. Brum

X-Men: Apocalypse featured the best use of Sweet Dreams ever in the history of cinema, I don't think any superhero movie would be brave enough to us it in the near future. ;)

I know they're a bit earlier than 1984 but Tainted Love by Soft Cell or (an instrumental) Don't You Want Me by Human League would also have been good fits as well.

12. Chlidonias

I wonder what Steve would have thought of something like The Antichrist by Slayer :D

Brum likes this.
  13. Brum

Calling it now, Steve Trevor ends up in a heavy metal club or gig and freaks out! ;):D

14. Chlidonias

Nah, I reckon the whole movie is going to be playing on the 80s being big hair and sweatbands and synthesizer music. Like movies in the 70s usually play to the it-was-all-hippies, and ignore metal.

15. Brum

If he bumps into a New Romantic, thinking Adam Ant-esque, then that might freak him out just as much... It would've scared the bejesus out of me! :D

I still wouldn't rule out a random Ozzy Osborne cameo though, e's up for anything nowadays, even Ghostbusters 2016!

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Tell me, how does it feel when your heart grows cold?

The error is yours :p Blue Monday was released in March 1983.

17. Chlidonias

How do you know that? Were you the person who watched that movie?

18. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was overrated! Maybe only a little, but it was.

Then again I liked Aquaman, so maybe I'm not qualified to make that statement.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  19. Brum

20. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I saw Knives Out the other week and loved it. As a whodunit it's brilliant and keeps you guessing to the end. And there's some nice subtle comedy in it too. It also has a stellar cast. 9.5/10

:p

Hix