Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The first step is admitting it to yourself :p

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  2. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first step is not posting replies on Zoochat with a smartphone! :D

Brum likes this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the sequel looks pretty good for what it's worth! I liked the song, too, I think it worked really well ;) One thing, though, is she swinging on lightning?

As far as the first movie goes I think I just need to watch it again. I don't really remember it well anymore tbh but I remember the middle act being pretty good but the third act being pretty bad and completely out of pace with the rest of the movie. I could be convinced that it's a well made film that I simply don't like subjectively but I need to see it again.

~Thylo

4. Chlidonias

I thought it was her lasso. Like Spiderman swings on his webs, Wonder Woman can swing on her lasso and because it's magical it can be any length.

5. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just like Black Panther and, to a lesser extent, Joker. I've yet to see a film that justifies the hype around it.

Brum likes this.
  6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just wanted to say that I agree with this post 100%. :D

Batto likes this.
  7. Chlidonias

I watched a movie yesterday that Zoochatters with kids might like. It's a 2016 French-Belgian animated movie called The Wild Life.

Some guy named Robinson Crusoe gets shipwrecked on a rocky island about the size of a tennis court upon which live seven animal friends - a macaw, a kingfisher, a goat, a Malayan Tapir, a pangolin, an echidna, and a chameleon. I really don't know why these animals are here, presumably they were also shipwrecked at some point - possibly it was that boat from Life of Pi.

The animals can all talk to one another of course, but the human cannot understand them and they cannot understand the human. For some reason the pangolin speaks with a broad Australian accent. It really bugged me. Why the pangolin and not the echidna? I mean, it was right there!

The bad guys in the movie are two evil ship cats (that is, two ship cats who are evil, not two cats from an evil ship), which survive the wreck and then spawn a huge litter of evil babies. There is also a dog, which is the pet of Crusoe, but he dies a horrible fiery death. Having seen the John Wick movies I thought I knew what would be coming next - violent revenge flick - but no, they simply forgot all about it. What's weird in relation to that, is that none of the evil cats even died in the end, they all ended up living happily on a pirate ship! (Sorry, spoiler alert).

The animation is pretty good. The macaw is a direct copy of Blue from Rio - although changed from a Spix's Macaw to a Scarlet Macaw, you can see that it is an exact copy animation-wise with its movements and expressions (he even sounds like Blue). The dialogue is kind of strangely-paced and -structured which I think is probably because it isn't an American production, but you get used to it. It is quite funny in parts as well (I was watching it with my nieces who thought it was great).

Trailer below (although it is really a terrible trailer, and makes me want to not see the movie):

8. ThylacineAlive

She's using her lasso but it looked like she was grabbing onto the lightning bolts with it.

~Thylo

9. Chlidonias

Oh yeah, I see the bit you mean. Yes, she's swinging off lightning - but she's Wonder Woman, of course she can swing off lightning. Why is that a surprise?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  10. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Clearly you do not recall 1984....;)

11. Batto

The novel, the movie based on the novel or the year? :D

12. Chlidonias

I recall the year. I can't say it was over-rated.

13. ThylacineAlive

Cannot say I recall the year too well :p

~Thylo

14. Chlidonias

They should re-release it for you young people.

Junklekitteb and ThylacineAlive like this.
  15. Chlidonias

I just saw this, a trailer for a new Ghostbusters movie. It looks really good - you know, like the one they should have made a couple of years ago but didn't!

16. ThylacineAlive

So the first review for StarWars: Rise of Skywalker is in...
    This comes from John Campea, a movie reviewer who's notoriously easy to please and has unconditionally loved everything Disney StarWars until this point.

~Thylo

Anniella likes this.
  17. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the current crop of Star Wars movies, albeit for different reasons than most vocal fans.

I thought The Last Jedi had way too much hyperbole both ways, to the point critics turned it into this daring movie it wasn't, and then people on the internet made some things out to be worse than they really were.

My issue is that, far from "subverting expectations" or making something that's "daring," the new movies just recycle everything from the original SW movies. The fictional universe hasn't changed one iota from each movie in the OT to its ordered equivalent in the new trilogy. I wish they actually were daring and actually did take the universe in a new direction, because so far they haven't. It's a shame, too, because I actually loved the core stuff in TLJ with Luke; the problem is the fictional universe he existed in didn't fit his change in character, in my opinion.

I hope I like the new film, but I'm not betting on it.

18. Batto

So a pro Disney SW critique does not like the movie...hmmm. There is still hope.

Not really.

19. ThylacineAlive

Having checked out the leaks (albeit pre-reshoots) I don't think there's much of any hope...

~Thylo

20. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member