Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thought I’d give a review of the Greatest Showman (which I finally saw last month)

Can’t help but feel it was a little overhyped for me by friends. It’s good don’t get me wrong with great choreography and music throughout, come alive is my favourite song by far! The story while interesting did have a few problems, mainly the lack of development of the freaks, who would arguably be the most interesting characters in the movie!

The CGI was also god awful at points, wide city shots, the horses look fake as hell, which is very jarring when real horses are used moments before in the scene. Elephants are big, like Jumanji size big! Though it could be a tribute to Jumbo idk. I get you can’t use real animals, but the CG could’ve been better for sure, just look at Evan almighty as an example.

For me I did have a slight issue with historical inaccuracies but it’s a musical so I’ll let it slide. But despite my gripes I enjoyed it very much so, not as great as billed to me but still very good as a movie, IMO.

evilmonkey239 and TZDugong like this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You insult me sir! I can walk/run with a pint in my hand, I'm pretty sure me and Chlidonias could keep going with barely a break! :p

And on an unrelated note, has anyone watched Venom? It looks terrible, but is it terrible in a watchable way?

And on a further unrelated note, I've tried watching Once Upon A Deadpool but having seen the original and Super-Duper cut I can't get into this PG-13 version, which is a shame because the extra scenes that I've seen (featuring Fred "Wonder Years" Savage!) are really funny. It just sucks that I have to watch a meh version of Deadpool in between.

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Woo-hoo. Brum's back in and Batto's out again!

I'm betting Brum could run with a pint in each hand and still go beserker mode on the bad guys using his hat full of sharpened ha'pennies.

Brum likes this.
  5. Brum

I'm good, but not that good. I need the other hand to keep me steady as I lack balance before a beer. But then I could always keep a bottle in reserve... :p

6. Chlidonias

Happy Death Day

I had heard this movie title before but it sounded like The Purge or something along those lines, so I never paid it any attention. But Honest Trailers just did a video for it and I thought "hey that looks like fun", so I watched it and it was fun. Basically it is Groundhog Day but the reason the main character relives each day is because she keeps getting murdered. She needs to find out who the killer is to stop herself being murdered, and hence break the loop. Sort of a cross between Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow really.

I don't like horror movies particularly (I'm too prone to thinking that zombies are actually real and hiding under my bed) so this was a good one for me. It is more a funny thriller-whodunnit than a slasher movie, and it's PG13 so no gore. I thought the identity of the killer was quite well-kept until the reveal, although that jerk on Cinema Sins considered it to be obvious. I actually thought most of his sins this time were pretty stupid apart for a few well-noted ones (like how the MO of the killer kept changing as if knowing how the previous "lives" had played out).

The continually-murdered girl is played by Jessica Rothe who is very good in the role, which is helpful given that she is in every scene in the movie. It wouldn't have worked using some "currently the in-thing" actress who can't actually act.

The sequel - Happy Death Day 2U - is coming out in a week or so and I think I shall go watch it because the first one was a fun movie. The trailer goes on a bit long but it keeps the fun feel to it. Seems like there's some sort of multi-loop thing going on it.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Also during a beer and after a beer.

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

Brum is like this guy:

9. TeaLovingDave

Nah, you could understand some of the words being spoken in that video :p

10. Brum

For a man who sounds awfully like Jimmy Nail you should stop throwing stones! :p

11. Chlidonias

If it helps, I read everybody with a New Zealand accent...

12. TeaLovingDave

I may live in Newcastle, but not coming from the area I don't have the accent :p when I first met @ShonenJake13 he thought I was Irish!

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  13. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

First time I met @ShonenJake13 he thought I was Oliver Twist.

Some of it's fun, most of it's boring. I'd recommend watching for the Eddie-Venom stuff which doesn't start for about 20-30 minutes, and for the Stan Lee cameo. It's a movie that's more or less missing most of its second act as well so prepare for very abrupt changes in attitude out of nowhere.

~Thylo

14. Chlidonias

I'm not sure 8ft5 immediately brings Oliver Twist to mind...

15. Chlidonias

That's okay, it will help me to have someone less mobile when the bad guys eventually catch us up for the show-down.

"Professor Chlidonias, the bad guys have caught us up and I'm holding two pints of beer so I'm a little unsteady!"
    "That's okay Brumverine." Slowly wheelchairs away while Brumverine loses his balance and falls over. "Heh heh heh."

16. Brum

It's true that you don't have a broad accent but there's definitely a hint of Geordie in there! :p

I can't hear it myself... :p

So you're saying it's a bit crap then? :p I like Tom Hardy and Riz Ahmed but I think it's going to be off putting listening to them because, from the footage I've seen, they both struggle with American accents... ;)

17. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed, but hearing an incredibly warped Oliver Twist impression saying “Please sir let me see your Himalayan squirrel....” definitely did...!

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Definitely a bit crap :p Riz Ahmed doesn't do much of note in this movie. Also be prepared for the movie to tell you there are scenes in a Malaysian forest, but for it to very clearly be a temperate forest somewhere, probably in northern California.

~Thylo

19. Brum

I hate it when films do stuff like that, it's up there with artificially darkened day shots that are dimmed to appear as night time. It rarely looks convincing.

20. Chlidonias

Well if he was deliberately putting on an Oliver Twist voice then that is disallowed.

It would be like if everywhere I went in the UK I put on my best Liam Neeson voice and everyone thought I must be from Switzerland. My particular set of skills does not include accents.

ShonenJake13 and ThylacineAlive like this.