Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Does look better than the first trailer. Still, some of it looks awesome and some of it looks like rubbish. The CGI-heavy parts are a mix of "oh cool" and "too much". Parts of it remind me of Underworld, which isn't a good thing. The guy turning into a leopard-thing seems kinds stupid.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

I just saw this trailer last night for Robin Hood (which came out last year). Has anyone seen this? I was watching the trailer thinking "when is this supposed to be set?" - apparently the director wanted it to be a modernised version ("timeless") but still set in the Middle Ages. It looks like utter garbage.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree that the animorph guy is a bit stupid. I really like the brief look at Baba Yaga and her house, as well the overall tone they seem to be going for.

~Thylo

4. ThylacineAlive

I haven't seen it but I know people who have and, yeah, it's utter garbage.

~Thylo

5. Chlidonias

Heeeeey, a Kim Possible movie! Let's see... live-action. Hmm, okay. Girl who doesn't look like Kim Possible. Well, can't have everything done right I suppose. Um, Naked Mole Rat... er, Naked Mole Rat? Where's the Naked Mole Rat?! You can't have Kim Possible without Rufus! Disney ruins everything!

zoomaniac likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

I found a (kinda weird) review video of the movie. Rufus is actually in it. Kinda.

Seems like a horrible badly-acted and badly-written version of the real Kim Possible. Perhaps I'm not the target audience though...

7. Chlidonias

So I just watched the trailer for Spiderman Far From Home (I know @Brum linked it on this thread a month ago, but I'm a little slow). It looks really good. But why does Nick Fury need Spiderman in this situation? Aren't there any English superheroes? Where is Danger Mouse?

Side-topic, is anyone else familiar with the tv series K.C. Undercover? I watch that at work. The girl who plays MJ is KC.

Anyway, I then watched the trailer for Spiderman Homecoming (yes, I'm slow) and it looks so boring!

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I saw it. It isn't good. Doesn't even come close to passing the Six Laugh Test. Though, the beginning is very amusingly reminiscent of Black Hawk Down.

9. ThylacineAlive

Oh they dragged poor Alyson Hannigan into this didn't they...

~Thylo

10. ThylacineAlive

And so I did!

I thought it was ok, tbh. The story felt underdeveloped and too "quick" despite the film's two-hour run-time. I don't fully understand the villains plan or reasoning and we didn't get too much of them outside of the action scenes. I also don't really understand the point of the resurrection monster. Was it just a distraction? I also didn't like Hellboy just suddenly switched to agreeing to end the world and then switched back to a good guy in like two minutes tops. (man I'm being really negative here aren't I?)

That said, the monster designs were really cool, and Ron Perlman kicks ass as the title character. I thought the Liz character was cool, too. Abe Sapien was fun, but we didn't get a whole lot of him. The tick-tock clock Nazi (Google tells me his real name is Karl Ruprect Kroenen) was a fascinating and creepy-looking addition. I liked how Rasputin was the villain.

Overall pretty good and there's some real fun moments. I also understand why the series wasn't much of a hit, though. 6/10

~Thylo

11. Chlidonias

Weirdly, Honest Trailers just put up a video on this movie. They must be Zoochatters.

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  12. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Saw Captain Marvel tonight. It was alright, not terrible but nothing that stellar either. The tone was kind of inconsistent, it felt like the "girl power" message was shoe-horned in last minute, some of the reveals and twists were really dumb. I actually liked Brie Larson as Carol Danvers, and the scenes of her and Nick Fury working together were probably the best in the movie. I want to see more development from her in Endgame because the glimpses of her personality are engaging. I also feel like the amnesia plot wasn't handled as well as it could have been. That trope has been done to death but there are ways to make it interesting, this was pretty by the numbers. Also, have I mentioned how dumb some of the reveals are? Because they are. One made me actually cringe, it was so bad.

Overall it kept me entertained so it did it's job, I still enjoyed it despite the many flaws. I'd give it a 6/10. I recommend watching it if you're a Marvel fan or plan on seeing Endgame because it does tie into that. Also the real Captain Marvel has his movie coming out in a month so I'm curious to see how that turns out.

I do want to mention the whole "culture wars" and "girl power" aspect briefly. Carol Danvers doesn't start off as a Mary Sue but she kind of feels that way toward the end. This movie had the potential to be in the same vein as Wonder Woman, a girl power movie with a good message and a likable character. I do like seeing girl power films, and I like seeing films that feature underrepresented groups prominently. But those shouldn't be more important than being a good film, and if you're going to hype up those aspects of your film you better make sure the rest of it is solid. I don't think Captain Marvel will be remembered as fondly as Wonder Woman or Black Panther for that reason, and I hope the silly "culture wars" discourse dies down now that it's out.

Brum likes this.
  13. ThylacineAlive

I watched it last night as well and I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10 personally. I really, really liked this movie!

Where was the "girl power" moment exactly? I remember that one part towards the end that's a power moment but it doesn't have anything to do with her being a girl. In fact, her being a girl has absolutely nothing to do with her character or the story apart from the roughly 7 seconds where they talk about her having a hard time becoming an airforce pilot because she's a woman in the army in the 80s (which is completely realistic). Assuming we're thinking of the same moment (we easily could be thinking of two different ones tbh), I didn't see that as being all that much different from the kind of "hero rising" moments we've gotten in other hero movies before. The whole "I AM CAROL" part made me chuckle, though.

As for the reveals/twists, I'd be interested to know which ones you didn't like because I enjoyed them all bar one. Their were two that made me scratch my head for a moment and I didn't like at first but then when I thought about them they made perfect sense to me. I have a feeling the latter of those two moments is the one you found cringey, if it's the one at the very end of the movie. The only one I thought was dumb was Fury's eye, and that one was like really dumb to me.

I agree that her personality was really engaging. I don't know why the initial trailers showed her to be a bland slab of wood because she's not, at all. In fact, the trailer scenes are more or less the entirety of the scenes where she comes across super serious and dull.

I can see why some would call her a "Mary Sue" but I prefer the word overpowered. I mean, she did have 6 years of training so it's not like Rey in StarWars where she's the galaxy's greatest warrior completely out of nowhere. Towards the end she becomes insanely powerful, yeah, but no more so than what happened to Thor in Ragnarok/Infinity War. They also give a reason for why she isn't that powerful right off the bat (and it's definitely not "she didn't believe in herself" or "she doubted herself because she's a woman" or anything like that for the people who haven't seen the movie yet). Again, I don't see where the "girl power" aspect comes into play here. Carol isn't a badass hero in the movie because she's a girl (again, it's hardly ever even mentioned that she is one), she's a badass hero because of a list of other reasons. The movie didn't go for the "strong female character" trope that Rey's writers went for, they just wrote a solid character and had her be a woman. And to me, that's how diversity should be. Obviously a character's gender, race/ethnicity, religion, sexuality, etc. can be a large aspect of what makes that character that character, but it's never good when that's their main/only character trait. Sometimes those details about a person don't matter in the context of a story, only their traits do and when that's the case you can make the character literally anything and the story would go virtually unchanged. That's exactly how this movie is. You could swap Carol Danvers for a Carl Danvers and the story would go more or less unchanged (apart from the ~7 seconds of female airforce pilot stuff), just as you could swap Tony Stark with a lesbian Tanya Stark and those stories would go more or less unchanged.

That got ranty there, and not all of that was directed at you per say Furiosa, I was just sharing my thoughts in general as well as responding. All in all I think Captain Marvel is an excellent addition to the MCU and definitely the best female superhero movie we've gotten to date. Carol is a pretty great character that I had a lot of fun watching on screen. The CGI is a little fuzzy at some points during the climactic battle and I assume this is due to them focusing on Endgame similarly to how BP had some CGI problems due to them focusing on Infinity War. The cat named Goose and the first end credit scene are definitely standouts. Young Fury is really fun even if his eye loss isn't. There's also a really great Stan Lee tribute as well as the obligatory cameo. Tbh I might even consider rating this movie 8/10 now that I think about it, but I'll wait until it settles in a bit more.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  14. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think this movie looks interesting: it's appears to basically be a horror-themed Superman

15. Chlidonias

"From visionary director..." followed by evil Superman trailer.

But seriously, that actually looks very cool.

16. ThylacineAlive

I like how every time I see a new movie with James Gunn involved he has more family members I'd never heard about attached to it. I just Googled it and there are five Gunns in the movie business.

~Thylo

Hipporex and Brum like this.
  17. Chlidonias

But he's the top Gunn.

18. Chlidonias

Oo, oo, they could remake that Kurt Russell western, then it would be five Gunns to Tombstone.

19. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just saw Captain Marvel myself. A couple things: 1) I'm happy it wasn't some feminist saga story like many thought it'd be. 2) The introduction with Stan Lee was very cool. 3) While the tale of how Nick Fury lost his eye was funny joke, I was hoping for something different. 4) I liked the "cat." 5) I must say I think she's a little overpowered but at least there is a reason for it. 6) Overall, I liked the movie a lot (I give it a 7 or 8 out of 10). 7) Can't wait for Endgame.

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  20. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

YES!!!