Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2020

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TheMightyOrca, 7 Jan 2020.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Cap may be my favourite, with Thor coming in second. Not sure where I'd put Blue Cyborg Lady though...

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Sounds like third.

SpinyLiving likes this.
  3. Brum

On the list of three then yeah, but in the greater scope of the whole MCU...

4. Chlidonias

There can't be that many to choose from.

I know that if I could invite three MCUsers home to sit on my couch with me and watch Wonder Woman 1984, I would choose Thor, Captain America, and Blue Cyborg Lady. But we'd probably ask Captain America to leave once we realised how boring he actually is in real life.

"What'd you do today, Captain America?"
    "Legs."
    "Huh. Today was leg day then?"
    "Every day is leg day."

SpinyLiving and Brum like this.
  5. Brum

I'd have Thor, Tony Stark, and then probably Hawkeye so he doesn't feel useless and left out, I get the feeling he doesn't get out much unless it's work related. He can go on the beer run though, just to show his gratitude!

SpinyLiving likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

I kind of feel that an evening with Thor and Tony won't end that well. Still probably better than an evening with Captain America and Tony though, I'd wager.

7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

May I ask why you dislike IM3 and The Incredible Hulk? I think TIH was the best phase one movie.

8. birdsandbats

Guardians of the Galaxy
    This is the first of the MCU movies I did not enjoy (except for possibly Thor: TDW). I had many more questions than answers, especially about the origins of Groot and Rocket. Now of course, this alone does not make it a bad movie, but I can't really tell you why I didn't enjoy it. On paper it seems to have everything a great movie needs, but for whatever reason I couldn't get into it.

Next Review: Avengers: Age of Ultron

9. Chlidonias

There is a town somewhere in America where the people who don't like Guardians of the Galaxy go to live. Population: birdsandbats, all alone.

10. Brum

Thought I'd already replied to this, sorry about that...
    Iron Man 3 was just tonally different from the other two movies, it was a massive shift and (in my opinion) should have been directed by Jon Favereau. Also not enough actual Iron Man in it, but loads of Stark not being Iron Man... And The Incredible Hulk just doesn't do it for me as an MCU movie, I've watched it many times (my daughter loves Hulk) and familiarity really does breed contempt. I think the biggest gripe I have is that all the threads that were set up going forward have just been abandoned. I mean it took them 8 years to bring back Thunderbolt Ross for God's sake, and Abomination looks terrible as well.
    Indeed, likes Iron Man 3 but dislikes Guardians... Not taste-shaming but seriously bnb, what's going on there? :rolleyes::p

On unrelated note, I watched JoJo Rabbit the other day, thoughts to follow at some point but for now I will say it's a really well done film that's hilarious yet heartbreaking at the same time.

SpinyLiving and birdsandbats like this.
  11. Chlidonias

Was it Iron Man 3 that was directed by Shane Black, who also directed The Predator? Explains everything right there.

12. Brum

Yep, it was indeed. He didn't understand the fact that the best things about the previous movies were Iron Man and the soundtrack...

13. Chlidonias

So, I haven't seen Iron Man 3. Instead I just watched the Cinema Sins video for it. Favourite sins: "Police take Trevor into custody instead of Shane Black" and "No AC/DC in an Iron Man film".

That movie does not look good.

Brum likes this.
  14. birdsandbats

Avengers: Age of Ultron
    This movie is okay. It's a little better than the first Avengers film but in many ways it has the same faults. Again, there is no reason to drag on the final fight scene forever! The plot was much more in-depth comapred to the last one, but it really doesn't make too much sense when you think about it. Hawkeye even admits this in the nest line in the movie:

"The city is floating, we are fighting an army of robots, and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense".

Best line in the MCU so far, but far from the best movie.

Next Review: Ant-Man

Jungle Man likes this.
  15. birdsandbats

One more thing about A:AOU is that in the barn scene, the background sounds are the calls of Barn Swallows and House Sparrows. So 10/10 for accurate bird calls in the background.

SpinyLiving likes this.
  16. Brum

Seriously, are you just p*ssing on my opinions for fun now? :p

Possibly one of my favourite lines in the whole MCU! :D

SpinyLiving likes this.
  17. birdsandbats

I promise you I am not. These are all my own honest opinions of these movies, not having read any other reviews of said movies.

Brum likes this.
  18. Chlidonias

Sounds like a fun new Brum game. Instead of snubbing him, people can disagree with all his movie opinions. The best thing about it is that you can do it from the other side of the world instead of in person!

Brum likes this.
  19. Chlidonias

This line - really Hawkeye has no-one to blame but himself. Nobody is hiding the guns from him. He is choosing to use a bow and arrows against robots.

SpinyLiving and Brum like this.
  20. Brum

I know, I'm thoroughly enjoying your fresh take on the MCU movies. Shame you're wrong on sooooo many counts... :p

Seriously though, I am enjoying your reviews and I'm also enjoying disagreeing with you! :D

I'm a Dark World apologist, I'm used to this! :p

SpinyLiving likes this.